By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "We're Not Saying PS4 Is A Man's Machine And That's The End Of It"

Sony has stressed that PS4 is not just a "man's machine", following the console's announcement which focused on "key genres for gamers".

Fergal Gara, the boss of PlayStation UK, was answering our question on PlayStation Move and the new PlayStation 4 controller in a lengthy interview, when he address the content of the presentation itself.

"We focused more on, I guess, core genres," explained Gara. "Key genres for gamers because the really passionate gamers will be first in. Let’s make no bones about it. So what kind of genres do they look for? Hardcore shooters are incredibly important. Having driving games are incredibly important. Having great third-party support is incredibly important. We lined up all of that.

"It did lead to a little bit of a core, male bias with a little bit of a counterbalance but I look forward to seeing that flesh out more because we’re certainly not saying PS4 is a man’s machine and that’s the end of it.

"PS4, like PS3, will want to be a very broad machine in terms of its appeal and we'll continue to broaden that story."

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1828516/sony_were_not_saying_ps4_is_a_mans_machine_and_thats_the_end_of_it.html

Around the Network

It's very troubling that executives are using this lexicon. Core genres? Hardcore shooters? What do those terms even mean?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
It's very troubling that executives are using this lexicon. Core genres? Hardcore shooters? What do those terms even mean?

I think they're trying to get on our good side. I mean parents in most cases can't/won't buy a PS4 for their children, not with that thing costing more than 300 dollars/euros! Also many recent studies have shown that the average age of gamers playing modern consoles are mostly between 24 and 33 and are male.

So it looks like they're just kissing the collective asses of their fanbase lol. I don't mind it to be honest, recognition is never bad ;)

Oh by saying that they say "it is a mans machine" lol

Im pretty sure this will work!

Oh how simple it is to trick people its actually sad.

Obviously its not a man's machine it got Play in the name, it's a toy for children ;)

Around the Network

waht the hell? Its for women too? I cant believe this...is this the world we are living in? i really dont know what i should do now...

Like Somini said, it's never bad to kiss the asses of the first few PS4 owners, who I'm sure are in the male 16-33 bracket :)

Once they have a good install base, they can then go for the rest of the audience :)

basically they are saying that they will focus on all gamers

They wont be just focusing on bringing shooters over and over to this same specific crowd of people

that's how i see it..