By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - These forums will be hilarious if Next Xbox is more powerful than PS4

Would the meltdowns be epic?

Yes 237 59.25%

No 107 26.75%

Maybe 53 13.25%

Total:397
JayWood2010 said:
Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:

Do you know anything about hardware?  If not dont talk to me about it.  The OS is pretty much tied in with gaming now so itll likely be using at least 2gb at all times for the OS and like i said it is also sharing memory with the GPU.

It was a beautiful PR move at the sony conference because people dont know much about hardware.  As soon as someone said 8GB of RAM everybody is like !!!!!!  But in reality it isn't as good as it sounds.  Still though, if it is using 2-4gb of RAM Memory then that is up to 8x better the the PS3 which was using 256MB of RAM.

So you are taking 8GBs giving 2GB to the OS and 2-4GBs to the GPU where are the 2-4GBs you are leaving out?

The 2-4 left out is what would be used like RAM does in your computer. That would be the unshared part.

Can we get a price check(second opinion) on these hardware facts?

For some reason I'm finding it hard to understand your reasoning. Unsharred RAM, a whole 2GB for the OS, up to 4GB for some unknown other thing.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network

16GB gddr5 RAM

Corey said:
16GB gddr5 RAM

IT WILL REMEMBER EVERYTHING!

i don't see why honestly... the xbox being more powerful in no way takes away from the hardware and software features announced for ps4 ( well for me at least )

Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:
Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:

Do you know anything about hardware?  If not dont talk to me about it.  The OS is pretty much tied in with gaming now so itll likely be using at least 2gb at all times for the OS and like i said it is also sharing memory with the GPU.

It was a beautiful PR move at the sony conference because people dont know much about hardware.  As soon as someone said 8GB of RAM everybody is like !!!!!!  But in reality it isn't as good as it sounds.  Still though, if it is using 2-4gb of RAM Memory then that is up to 8x better the the PS3 which was using 256MB of RAM.

So you are taking 8GBs giving 2GB to the OS and 2-4GBs to the GPU where are the 2-4GBs you are leaving out?

The 2-4 left out is what would be used like RAM does in your computer. That would be the unshared part.

Can we get a price check(second opinion) on these hardware facts?

For some reason I'm finding it hard to understand your reasoning. Unsharred RAM, a whole 2GB for the OS, up to 4GB for some unknown other thing.

It takes a lot of memory to run an OS,  And the unkown is GPU?  I thought I said that.

Let me say it this way.  Say you have 8 skittles.  Your friend OS wants 2 skittles so you  give him 2 skittles.  Then your friend GPU wants 2 more skittles so you give it to him.  Then you want the rest of the skittles so you keep them to yourself.

Does that make sense?

Around the Network

It would be funny to see anything that puts the PS4 in a dim light, really. Right now it's heralded as a god. :P

pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:

No...computers have programs they need to run too and the OS. The OS will take less to run on PS4 than on a PC. I have 8GB memory on my PC. That is way more than enough for games today. Not sure where you're going with this.

If you're expecting MS to go above 8GB, or use less memory for their OS, you're going to be surprised.

No i dont expect MSFT to do more.  Im trying to explain what shared memory means though.  Maybe you can help me out on that.  It isnt what people are making it out to be. I actually use 16gb on my computer ;)

If you pay attention to my first comment i do say that i expect them to be relatively the same and if anything.

Won't happen. Silly xbots. All they have is their hypotheticals and "what ifs" for a superior performance. Focus on reality.

User was banned for this post - Kantor

JayWood2010 said:

It takes a lot of memory to run an OS,  And the unkown is GPU?  I thought I said that.

Let me say it this way.  Say you have 8 skittles.  Your friend OS wants 2 skittles so you  give him 2 skittles.  Then your friend GPU wants 2 more skittles so you give it to him.  Then you want the rest of the skittles so you keep them to yourself.

Does that make sense?

No because I don't have anything to do with the hardware function? Seriously what would the hardware be using a spare 2-4GBs for? Not running the OS, not running games, you aren't talking the CPU are you? That's what the OS RAM is for.

There is a slim chance the OS will use 2GB. 2GB is like full blown Windows 8 isn't it? Or is that 3GB? Even if it does use 2GB, optimization will reduce it over time.

Yes, it would be hilarious but fortunately for the consumers I don't think Microsoft will release a 500$ or 600$ console. The Xbox 720 will probably be slightly weaker, cheaper and will sell more.