By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Nintendo has been "slow" to increase production.

Oyvoyvoyv: The point of the thread was about production... we know the PS2 was supply constrained in all regions, a year after launch (March 2001)... had it launched earlier in America and PAL Sony would have still produced the same number of units... Nintendo has more than doubled the production of the fastest of all previous generations consoles... the only other console produced so fast in the first 13 months is current gen X-360, but that was overproduced unlike PS2 or Wii.

And as someone already stated, production for 2007 is not 14.5 million. The production number for 2007 is 20.1 - 3.2 = 16.9 million. (assuming I am correct with Nintendo shipping 3.2mil in 2006, which I think I am)

Around the Network
bigjon said:
One thing you need to remember is that the Japanese by nature are not risk takers. Their culture is very conservative. Nintendo as whole proves to fit this mold.

The whole point of this thread is to illustrate that increasing production to 1.8 million per month within the first year of the Wii's lifecycle was a big risk.

@Oyvoyvoyv: Sqrl and TWRoO have already pretty much answered this.  This thread is not about "OMG Wii is selling like gangbusters!"  It's about the rate of production.  The PS2 had a staggered launch because Sony could not produce them quickly enough to have a global launch.  Even with the staggered launch, the PS2 was still supply constrained when it launched in the US.  People are very quick to criticize Nintendo for not increasing production quickly enough, but the fact is that they've increased production far more quickly than has ever been done in the past for a home console.  Your comparison is instructive, but it doesn't apply to the topic of this thread.

Okay, thanks for telling my mistake in a nice way. I understand the problem of my math now, and misunderstood the topic.

I'll remember that.

This proves that the Wii will sell even more in its lifespan than I thought...

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

I like Bacon said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
The problem with this thread, is that Ps2 had very big differences between launches. Japan launched 7 months before USA, so your graph is wrong. What you should do is this:

I don't think that really matters at all! It's Sony's fault that they couldn't launch the PS3 earlier like in Japan.

"That's Sony's issue, not my problem." Reggie Fils-Aime on the PSP, E3 05.

BUT that still UNFAIR to compare. You just CAN`T compare and say, yeah Wii is doing Better. You can look, but nothing more. Conclusion, that wii doing better compared to ps2 is wrong. PS2 came in 2000, and Wii in 2006.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

i think nintendo has been good with production increases, increasing it twice without any quality issues. i think they will increase it again now

Around the Network

DS lover, they just recently increased it.

The production is now at 1.8M/month, just as mentioned in first post.

I'd also like to point out, which has been said multiple times in various threads, that increasing production is not as easy as flipping a switch. And much harder than flipping a REALLY big switch. It takes time, they have to make sure enough parts (CPU, GPU, etc) are made, and somethings that means those who make those parts have to increase production, which might take some time (if not more). They have to have the extra plants, and if needed, have to buy plants, and I doubt there are many empty manufacturing plants out there waiting to be used. Those plants have to be set up, at any rate. Contracts have to be made. It's a very time consuming, and costly, process, which one doesn't simply run into blind folded.

I would also like to give congrats to Oyvoyvoyv for a very reasonable look at what was being said, even if it didn't completely fit with the OT.

Also, to Sqrl and others, yes there's a problem with the comparison of aligning the launches in each region, but there's a problem with every single comparison, so the key is to be thorough and point out the problems.

CrazzyMan, I don't think anyone was really saying the Wii was doing better (at least in this thread), but I don't really think it's unfair to look at sales and say "yes the Wii is doing better." I mean, we can look at sales for the Wii and GameCube, and say that the Wii is doing better than the GameCube, can't we, even though the GameCube was released in 2001 and the Wii in 2006? Also, I think looking at trends is more important than direct comparisons of numbers.

if the production was much faster, the sales could have been muuuch higher, their fault :p

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Wow, Leni that was deep.