By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is is so important games run at 60fps?

In most cases 30 fps works just fine. (anything slower getsto be very noticeable) When extreme speed is involved (like in racing) is where you will noticed the big differences between 30fps to 60fps.

As far as the fps the eye can see isn't so clearly seen the brain converts an antalog signal to digital and create it's own snapshot frames. Thus there is a difference between what you eyes sees and what your brain sees.

Around the Network

60fps is very important for first person shooters, because it is easier to aim, predict where people will go, etc.
I also wish movies were shot at 60fps....anyone know why they still stick to the antiquated 24fps standard?

epsilon72 said:
60fps is very important for first person shooters, because it is easier to aim, predict where people will go, etc.
I also wish movies were shot at 60fps....anyone know why they still stick to the antiquated 24fps standard?
If I'm not mistaken it was to keep down the length of the film especially back in the old days. In my school days they still used film projectors.

Soriku said:
Didn't Krazy Ken want 120 FPS for the PS3?

Wonder how that'll look (if it ever happens)

Meet someone that has a Radeon 3850 and Orange Box.

thetonestarr said:

Correct!

Meanwhile, I'm content with anything more than 20 FPS in my games. 30 is pretty much perfect for me. Anything more than 40 is really nitpicky if you ask me.. Sure, the game can be more fluid, but I can guarantee that the fluidity difference isn't as much as people make it out to be. 95% of the difference is psychologically manufactured - thinking that the 60 FPS looks that much better because you "know" that it's supposed to be.

It depends a lot on the type of game.  Racing games especially benefit from a solid, consistent 60 fps, as do twitch FPS games.  Honestly though, even Super Mario Galaxy benefits massively from being locked at 60 fps, IMO.  You might not need the control granularity of 1/60 of a second, but I think it makes the game world feel more natural and alive.

Around the Network

Usually a solid 30 FPS at higher HDTV/monitor refresh rates (60-120 Hz) is sufficient. Motion blur can improve things as well as 60 FPS (solid or allowed to drop to solid 30 FPS during action packed scenes). The importance will differ from game to game.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Whats with everyone talking about eyes and FPS? You don't see in frames! The human eye works in fluid, constant vision.

P.S.  I play Quake 3 Arena and Quake II at 120+ FPS and it looks great especially the insanely high run speed in those games (especially Quake 3). 

PC Gamer
xomaniac said:
call it a "noobish" question but the highest frame rate the human brain can register is 12 fps, so why do sum people get annoyed when a game is running at "only" 30fps? or are they super human?

The eye is measured at 60fps, hence, people want games to run at 60fps.

Kasz216 said:
xomaniac said:
Entroper said:
Because you're wrong. The highest frame rate the human brain can register is much greater than 12 fps.

maybe i worded it wrong, but things look smooth at 12fps so why do we need anything higher?

Because you control the characters you don't just watch them. (Also it's not smooth.)

Movement would look jerky in user controlled gameplay because there would be a lag between you press to move and your character moves.

Hence 60 being better then 30. Their is half the lag between pressing the button and the move happening... making the gameplay more crisp. It's the same reason most PC gamers try to get their framerates as high as possible.

Ummm..... Last time I checked, Framerates having nothing to do with the time it takes for your mouse/keyboard to send info to your processor. You get that jerkiness at lower framerates because your computer has to compensate for how fast your trying to move, and how fast your frames are going by. I mean a game running at 500 fps, doesnt mean your reaction time is 5 times faster than that of a game at 100.

Ickalanda said:

Whats with everyone talking about eyes and FPS? You don't see in frames! The human eye works in fluid, constant vision.

P.S. I play Quake 3 Arena and Quake II at 120+ FPS and it looks great especially the insanely high run speed in those games (especially Quake 3).

Because scientists have found that our vision is the equivilent of around 60fps, thats why when you spin in circles things begin to blur, because your eye and brain cant capture the light fast enough to keep it clear and non blurred.