By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If MS switches to GDDR5 now, did Sony make a silly mistake?

platformmaster918 said:
Kynes said:

Why? There is something that most people seem to forget, right now there aren't on the market 4 Gb GDDR5 chips, so Sony will have to use 16 chips of a new type of chip and package on package, which isn't cheap at all, and could provide some yields problems. MS seems to have taken a cheaper route, mass market memory with the embedded memory on chip, a much cheaper solution.

The Sony solution has more grunt, but it smells PS3 all over again.

that's not what the developers seem to be saying...

I'm talking of $$$, not ease of development.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
I think it's funny how many people dismissed the idea of having 8GB RAM on a console. And now, bang, both next gen consoles have 8GB just like Epic, Crytek and DICE were asking for.

Its just that we didn't think Sony to be so dumb to go the PS3 route again.......I guess we were wrong.

Kynes said:
platformmaster918 said:
Kynes said:

Why? There is something that most people seem to forget, right now there aren't on the market 4 Gb GDDR5 chips, so Sony will have to use 16 chips of a new type of chip and package on package, which isn't cheap at all, and could provide some yields problems. MS seems to have taken a cheaper route, mass market memory with the embedded memory on chip, a much cheaper solution.

The Sony solution has more grunt, but it smells PS3 all over again.

that's not what the developers seem to be saying...

I'm talking of $$$, not ease of development.

oh ok that's more reasonable.  At most those it will be $500.  That's still $100 less than PS3 was at launch and they'll be at the same time as Xbox so they'll elimate that advantage even if they cost more.  Also I think it will be $450 and have a lot more exclusives in the first year, better multiplats, and better internet capabilities relative to its competition this time.  A lot of that derives from ease of development and lots of RAM.  The cell didn't add a lot of performance because people couldn't utilize it but the RAM will be a good investment for the future of the system and won't be too expensive for Sony like Bluray and cell.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

CGI-Quality said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Soleron said:
Design for both consoles was fixed a LONG time ago. Two years or more. It isn't something that can be swapped out, validated, and put into mass production in six months.

Secondly, when has a single spec ever decided the fate of a console?

and with that said, games have already been optimized for each console, so any changes now...........just read what soleron said.

secondly. never. not to mention, the most powerful console, has never won the war. things look to change on that front.

Wasn't the Super NES more powerful than the Genesis? Yep, thought so!

But wasn't as powerful as the TURBO-GRAFIX.....so Yeah.

CGI-Quality said:
Fireforgey said:
Slimebeast said:
I think it's funny how many people dismissed the idea of having 8GB RAM on a console. And now, bang, both next gen consoles have 8GB just like Epic, Crytek and DICE were asking for.

Its just that we didn't think Sony to be so dumb to go the PS3 route again.......I guess we were wrong.

Since people were so keen to use developers  as a means to say the PS3 was "a bad move", why not use those same people in 2013 who say they are more than ready to work on the next PlayStation?

In other words, the PS3 and this hardly have anything in common.

I'm talking about an overpowered console that wll cost Sony billions at a time that it can hardly afford it.   It might not lose as much money as the PS3 because it doesn't have that same Blu-Ray problem, but it will still be insanly expensive and it will be highly subsized at the same time which will sink Sony back into the red.  So yes, it has plenty in common.

Around the Network

Microsoft already decided long ago they won't be the most powerful. While we are freaking out about RAM, Microsoft would be freaking out about all the social and gaikai features.

argggh argggh 16 gigs lol

Slimebeast said:

8GB of RAM is good, but the cheapest Sony could sell it for is about $450. If MS really goes with GDDR3, they could undercut the PS4's price by up to $100. 

platformmaster918 said:
Kynes said:

Why? There is something that most people seem to forget, right now there aren't on the market 4 Gb GDDR5 chips, so Sony will have to use 16 chi

If you shop around, you'll note that gddr5 chips come in 1Gbit and 2Gbit sizes. It takes 32 chips to get 8GByte (=64Gbit) of memory. That is a lot of real estate on a console pcb. I doubt stacked memory (if available at all) would be cheaper than real estate, in the end.

JoeTheBro said:
Microsoft already decided long ago they won't be the most powerful. While we are freaking out about RAM, Microsoft would be freaking out about all the social and gaikai features.

exactly.  Also Sony being the first to show games like Watch Dogs, Destiny, Diablo 3, and Deep Down will associate the system with those games in people's minds so they may be more likely to buy PS4 for those games or not realize that they're on 360 and/or 720 like I've seen so many people think with COD over the years in the reverse.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers