By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does MGS4 seem so hyped up?

This thread is ridiculous...

WHY is SSBB Hyped??----about the motion thing....the SSBB website reccommends to use the GC controller

WHY is Mario Kart (especially this one) HYPED??

______

as for the "series is in decline" argument

I would like to point out MGs3 didn't sell as much because it WASN'T about "Solid snake"

MGS4 carries on from MGs2....not from MGs3 (which was set before MGS1 or MGS2)...

Solid Snake not being there in MGS3 reduces sales significantly.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

@gaminggrim
I will concratulate sony, if the game does pass my expectations of about 4.5 million in total.(And if PS3 sales do rise by a significant # when it is released)

@darthdevidem01
Yeah, I know the reason for MGS3's decline in sales. And SSBB is not hyped for motion controls, that is probably the last reason why I can't wait for it.

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

Wrong button.

It has a lot of hype because it will be an excellent game, and a lot of people who have PS3s are talking about it. It won't result in a massive spike for PS3. This is not Halo 3. The original Halo, on a console base 5 times smaller, outsold MGS2. MGS4 is on a less popular console, sales for the series have declined, and it wasn't a console seller to begin with. Yes, the games were good, but they were not the reason so many people bought a PS and PS2. It will not save the PS3.

darthdevidem01 said:
This thread is ridiculous...

WHY is SSBB Hyped??----about the motion thing....the SSBB website reccommends to use the GC controller

WHY is Mario Kart (especially this one) HYPED??

A lot more people will buy SSB:B and Mario Kart for the Wii than will buy MGS4.  And I don't just mean millions more, I mean 2-3x as much at least for each of those games.

This particular Mario Kart isn't all that hyped, but I have to agree that SSB:B is insanely hyped.  On the gamecube, my SSB:M copy got over 1000 hours of total playtime (it keeps track) and it was all the "stupid huge grin on your face this is awesome" kind of gameplay, 3 minutes at a time.

That's why people are getting insanely hyped about it.  it's not like MGS where most gamers will beat it in ~15 hours of playtime and never play it again.  It's like Starcraft in terms of its competitive replayability, and people freak out for that shit. 

Around the Network

The thing is that MGS4 is being hyped up for something no MGS game has done, which is to put a console on top. MGS2 was hyped to do that with the PS2, but it was already on top when it came out, and it was GTA III and Devil May Cry which put the PS2 in the dominant position. Now it MGS4 could be the first, but it's being hyped as though it's a given.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Garcian Smith said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
One of the reasons the game does so well in the English speaking world, is David Hater is absolutely the best voice actor ever in a video game.

Of all of the statements in this thread, this one made me laugh. I mean, come on; of all the classically-trained actors who have appeared in games, some guy whose sole voice seems to be "Gritty Military Operatives Guy" is the "best voice actor ever"? Give me a break.

Anyway, I predict MGS4 will sell more like MGS:PO than MGS3. Metal Gear Solid just seems to be one of those franchises that hasn't aged well in terms of sales.

Hahahaha....I agree. Good old "Gruff and edgy" Dave is the weak link of the games; not only is his voice generic, but his inflections/tones/etc are often off. He's a damn screenwriter, after all.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

__XBrawlX__ said:
Apart from four of the MGS franchises games, they havent sold that well, so why are many people saying that it will boost the PS3 in sales? (Not just the fanboys.)

I demand you go play through MGS2, then ask that question again. And don't skip the dialogue.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

kirby007 said:
will it increase ps3 sales? imo people who want mgs have already a ps3, don't they?

Isn't that what Sony fanboys said about Halo 3?

makingmusic476 said:
kirby007 said:
will it increase ps3 sales? imo people who want mgs have already a ps3, don't they?

Isn't that what Sony fanboys said about Halo 3?

True, but it didn't really last. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs