By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games I should spread the word on...

Okay, Folklore is a game that takes place in the present day. A young woman by the name of Ellen is lured to the sea-side village of Doolin, in Ireland, led by a letter from her supposedly dead mother. Meanwhile Keats, a journalist from an occult magazine called Unknown Realms, receives a telephone call from a woman in distress telling him to come to Doolin. Soon he and Ellen find themselves in a murder mystery, where the answers seem to only be found in the Netherworld, the world of the dead, a realm that can only be accessed from one place in the world, Doolin. To solve the crime and reveal Ellen's forgotten past, they will need to venture to the Netherworld as travellers, where faeries and folk alike await them.

There are seven unique realms, each farther from the Earth than the one before. Ellen and Keats journey each realm separately.

Each realm has their own Folks to battle against and absorb. In total, there are over a hundred beasts, characters, and monsters to interact with. Using the SIXAXIS wireless controller, the player must battle monsters and literally "shake" them into submission and "yank" their souls (Known in the game as IDs) from their bodies. The absorbed powers can then be used to capture or defeat the monsters that lie ahead.

Players can choose between playing as Keats or as Ellen. The gameplay varies depending on who you choose, as Keats encounters a different variety of Folk to those encountered by Ellen. There are other differences between the two, one being the fact that Keats can transform into a far more powerful version of himself when certain requirements are met, and wreak havoc with his powers temporarily, while Ellen has a variety of cloaks which grant her special abilities that remain so long as she is wearing that cloak. Another difference is that Ellen usually summons the full manifestation of a Folk's soul when fighting, whereas Keats is more material and the Folk spirit only partially emerges from him and basically serves as an extension of him.

Decisions made in one story-line will directly impact the path of the other, though this only appears later in the story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folklore_(video_game)

Around the Network

Wii Sports!

If I were to be serious, perhaps Endless Ocean... but then you have two Wii games already.

If past games includes last gen then Chibi Robo for sure.

Smash Brothers seems pretty under-hyped so far.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Wii Sports doesn't count just because it already has a mass appeal.

Saintelistan86 said:
Bladeneo said:
Ratchet and clank as well I suppose..its not exactly recieved the sales it deserves/.

Ah, but R&C is a pretty well known franchise. I'd rather do pieces on titles that people would probably skip if they were just browsing box art and names.

Not sure how well known Culdcept Saga is but I think it deserves some attention, played a demo of it and it was pretty fun.  I might wind up picking this one up.  This might also help if you're looking for a non-Wii game to review right now.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

Around the Network

007 everything or nothing

I know its a 007 game, but many of these are overlooked. This one is from a third person point of view and features a very good storyline about nano technology. It also has a wicked co-op mode to unlock bonus material in the game. For gc, xb, & ps2(God I sound like a commercial)

But seriously, I dont think the sales were very impressive, but the game deserved them.

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

Keep 'em coming, guys.

I don't care how many generations back you go, really. I've had my eye on Culdcept Saga. I'll probably toss it in, but it does target a niche audience. Thanks for expanding, dib.

I'll probably do a combined piece on the dreamcast NiGHTS along with the Wii NiGHTS.

Saintelistan86 said:
Keep 'em coming, guys.

I don't care how many generations back you go, really. I've had my eye on Culdcept Saga. I'll probably toss it in, but it does target a niche audience. Thanks for expanding, dib.

I'll probably do a combined piece on the dreamcast NiGHTS along with the Wii NiGHTS.

NiGHTS was on the Saturn not the Dreamcast btw. 

Speaking of the Dreamcast I think you should take a gander a very little known game called Twinkle Star Sprites.  It is quite possibly one of the most cutesy, gayest, most chibivized anime style game I've ever played.  It's a top down shooter with versus puzzle fighting.  Once you get past the sickeningly cute presentation you've got one hell of an addictive game.  I'd say that this game is to top down shooters as Puzzle Quest was to Bejeweled.  Gametap usually has this game up for free every few rotations or so if you want to check it out.

Not sure if some of these links work, my laptop isn't loading much of anything right now, sorry.  I'll add somemore later.

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/twinklestar/twinklestar.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkle_Star_Sprites 

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

Definitely No More Heroes, like some others have said. I can't think of too many other recent games that deserve to be discussed. Uncharted maybe? It's easily the best ps3 game to date, but it's already sold 1 mil., so it's not like it's being ignored.

As for past games, you should check out the Way of the Samurai for ps2. I loved this game, though most people have never heard of it. I need to grab WotS2 off of ebay one of these days.

Shadow of teh Colossus is another gem for the ps2 (as is it's predecessor, Ico), and I think it sold close to 2 mil. in the end. VGChartz has the NA numbers at over 700k, but the JP and EU numbers aren't up yet.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Geometry Wars Galaxies DS, New Super Mario Bros & Brain Training games