By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 more powerful then the 360?

Fumanchu said:
Seriously this is so tit for tat...the PS3 has more theoretical processing power, but the 360 has faster system memory bus. There are certain aspects of both designs that you could 'cherrypick' and say system x has the advantage. In the end the differences equate to very little...didn't John Carmack say there's less technical differences this generation than any previously?

That is both true and spectacularly false. While the 360 and PS3 are much closer in power than the X-box and the PS2; the Wii is a whole lot less powerful than the two others. That difference is very, very big.

And please don't argue on that (yes I'm looking at you Weezy). 

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Fumanchu said:
Seriously this is so tit for tat...the PS3 has more theoretical processing power, but the 360 has faster system memory bus. There are certain aspects of both designs that you could 'cherrypick' and say system x has the advantage. In the end the differences equate to very little...didn't John Carmack say there's less technical differences this generation than any previously?

That is both true and spectacularly false. While the 360 and PS3 are much closer in power than the X-box and the PS2; the Wii is a whole lot less powerful than the two others. That difference is very, very big.

And please don't argue on that (yes I'm looking at you Weezy).

I think that John Carmack was saying that there are very few differences between the Wii and the Wii, since he was refering to this generation. The PS3 and 360 are next-gen, so he was obviously not talking about them.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

All the developer's that criticise the PS3 (e.g. John Carmack & Gabe Newell) come from a PC background and are used to dealing with large amounts of RAM. The X360 is pretty poor in this respect, but due to it's flexible memory architecture, it is still better than the PS3. That's one of the main reasons the PS3 (and to a lesser extent the 360) has suffered from poor PC ports (see Orange Box).

As has been typical of console system architecture in the past (with the possible exception of the Xboxes), the PS3 emphasises throughput. It has a faster processor than the 360 and faster memory; although it can't move as much data in and out of RAM at one time as the 360, it can do it faster. The PS3 is therefore much better at streaming information than the 360. Anecdotal evidence of this can be found in Burnout Paradise, which streams an open world environment and reportedly runs faster on PS3. Other examples are sure to emerge in time.

Although each system can claim superiority over the other in certain areas, the PS3 is undoubtedly a more powerful system from a technical standpoint (although that won't stop anyone arguing over the details).

While MS have tried to bridge the gap between PC and console gaming, Sony have continued along the path laid out with their previous consoles. Personally, I prefer Sony's approach, and believe that the homogenisation of PC/console gaming is a bad thing. Some games are just better on PC (e.g. FPS, RTS), while others are better on consoles (e.g. fighters, racers).

I really do not understand so many people being obsessive about X console is stronger then Y console. Especially because in this generation both the HD consoles are almost identical in terms of power.