By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: “Everybody Knows” PS3 “Isn’t as Good of an Entertainment Console” as Xbox 360

Jesus, these companies never learn: Nintendo got arrogant and lost their stranglehold to SEGA; SEGA got arrogant and lose their surge to SONY; SONY got arrogant and lost their stranglehold to Nintendo (and, apparently, MS thinks...MS)...now MS continues the cycle of stupidity.

Around the Network
ECM said:
Jesus, these companies never learn: Nintendo got arrogant and lost their stranglehold to SEGA; SEGA got arrogant and lose their surge to SONY; SONY got arrogant and lost their stranglehold to Nintendo (and, apparently, MS thinks...MS)...now MS continues the cycle of stupidity.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47705854&postcount=231

Everyone knows that Windows isn't as good an OS

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

CGI-Quality said:
EspadaGrim said:
CGI-Quality said:
EspadaGrim said:
CGI-Quality said:
happydolphin said:

I support sales. The "we don't know for sure" argument only goes so far. There's a measure of likelihood that we can get using sales numbers and expected cost estimates. Using those numbers we can come up to certain reasonable conclusions.

You can support him if you like, my feelings won't be hurt.

We can come to reasonable conclusions, which I believe mine have been. Then again, I'm not one to make wild claims, like I could have when Microsoft cut many of their studios.

I would like you to name those studios like actually post examples instead of making wild claims.

Microsoft closed some studios, Ensemble included. I thought this was a known, understood fact, rather than a "wild claim".

Some studios and yet you only name one Sony closed down studios Superbot,Zipper,Sony Liverpool.

I would have asked why you're even arguing this, but I see others have finished what I started. The point is, both Sony and Microsoft have closed studios down. Neither of them should be singled out for it.

Yes i agree that both close down studios but the main arguement was profitability of Sony and their Games.

coolguy said:
What a Bunch of Bull more people watch netflix on there PS3 then 360 because on 360 you need to be a gold member lol. i cant belive that MS charges people to wacth netflix besides net flix monthly fees shame on you ms

how do u know?  does anybody have hard numbers on netflix xbox vs ps3 users?  i mean if you think about it ps3 users complain about the $5/month cost of Live.  netflix cost $8/mnth

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
RazorDragon said:
pezus said:
So...PS3 has more Netflix use, Blu-Ray, 7.1 DTS Master-Audio support. Meanwhile, you have to pay a yearly price just to unlock most of the entertainment features on 360.

So... 360 has Xbox Live Gold Netflix use, DVD and CD, 5.1 DTS Master Audio support. Meanwhile, you have to pay a yearly price just to unlock most of the games features on the PS3.

ps3 does have DVD, as well as blueray. and no, you dont have to pay to unlock "most of the game features" if your talking about PS+. then your paying for discounts, free games and early access to beta's and more stuff. tell me, which one sounds like a better "entertaiment console", i get what your trying to say lol but its just mostly wrong what you pointed out 

Paying for dicounts is such a funny term to me 

bananaking21 said:
RazorDragon said:
pezus said:
So...PS3 has more Netflix use, Blu-Ray, 7.1 DTS Master-Audio support. Meanwhile, you have to pay a yearly price just to unlock most of the entertainment features on 360.

So... 360 has Xbox Live Gold Netflix use, DVD and CD, 5.1 DTS Master Audio support. Meanwhile, you have to pay a yearly price just to unlock most of the games features on the PS3.

i get what your trying to say lol but its just mostly wrong what you pointed out 

EXACTLY! I'll try to be clearer in my answers next time so it'll be easier to understand, don't worry.

UnitSmiley said:
Lostplanet22 said:
UnitSmiley said:
cusman said:
pezus said:

Yup... and MS doesn't release much exclusive software for Xbox 360 either

What is strange to me is that in terms of new console sales... the Xbox 360 continues to do better than the PS3 (especially in the US)

Maybe it's the "buy america" consumer patriotism, but on a product level... I don't consider the Xbox 360 to be anywhere near as good a value as the PS3.

I've said it a few times before. Everything in the US is a popularity contest. Most of the "gamers" here don't even really care what they play, as long as it's popular. They don't have a real passion for the hobby or what kinds of experience the media of videogames can provide. They just want to do/play what's trendy. Microsoft is much better at advertising so basically people believe what they see. Most of those same people who swear the 360 is better than the PS3 don't even know the difference between a multiplat and an exclusive game. If you'd ask them what they dislike about the PS3, it'll pretty much be "PS3 has no games". Ya know, THAT old arguement that hasn't been true for years and is actually more true for Microsoft at this point.

720 could give you aids when you turn it on and people here will still buy it.

But it is true,  PS3 does not have games like Halo 4 or even Minecraft.   Minecraft did not have any mayor advertising on tv,  is only available as an digital download and is available on a lot of platforms still it managed to sell already more than 5,5 million on xbla...   I guess it looks like gamers really know what they want.

sales=/=quality

popularity=/= quality

Not saying a game that sells well and is popular is bad mind you.

Halo has always been a series with a ton of advertisements and most people knew what Minecraft was from it being around on PC already. It's not really hard to sell an already popular game to a giant fanbase. "PS3 does not have games like Halo 4 or even Minecraft". Why do people think this way? A games quality is based on its own merit, not by how many people bought it. I mean damn, I guess CoD is just the best thing to ever happen to gaming. You are talking about sales, but what about experiences? Ya know, the thing that SHOULD actually matter the most to so called gaming fans. I could easily say "Microsoft doesn't have any games like Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Infamous, blah blah blah ect". 

As a gaming enthusiast a person should be concerned with playing what brings enjoyment to him or her and what types of experiences can be had with different types of games. NOT what is selling well or what is trendy atm.

Quality is subjective, as a gaming enthusiast you should enjoy as many games and as many systems as possible. People have differ preferences and different tastes. Why do you feel the need to crap on the Xbox and people who prefer it based on your tastes and opinions if you are such a game enthusiast? Just curious, don't take it the wrong way.

tres said:
coolguy said:
What a Bunch of Bull more people watch netflix on there PS3 then 360 because on 360 you need to be a gold member lol. i cant belive that MS charges people to wacth netflix besides net flix monthly fees shame on you ms

how do u know?  does anybody have hard numbers on netflix xbox vs ps3 users?  i mean if you think about it ps3 users complain about the $5/month cost of Live.  netflix cost $8/mnth

yeah but it's not like you get netflix free if you buy gold so it's $13 to use netflix on 360 per month

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Capulous said:
UnitSmiley said:
Lostplanet22 said:
UnitSmiley said:
cusman said:
pezus said:

Yup... and MS doesn't release much exclusive software for Xbox 360 either

What is strange to me is that in terms of new console sales... the Xbox 360 continues to do better than the PS3 (especially in the US)

Maybe it's the "buy america" consumer patriotism, but on a product level... I don't consider the Xbox 360 to be anywhere near as good a value as the PS3.

I've said it a few times before. Everything in the US is a popularity contest. Most of the "gamers" here don't even really care what they play, as long as it's popular. They don't have a real passion for the hobby or what kinds of experience the media of videogames can provide. They just want to do/play what's trendy. Microsoft is much better at advertising so basically people believe what they see. Most of those same people who swear the 360 is better than the PS3 don't even know the difference between a multiplat and an exclusive game. If you'd ask them what they dislike about the PS3, it'll pretty much be "PS3 has no games". Ya know, THAT old arguement that hasn't been true for years and is actually more true for Microsoft at this point.

720 could give you aids when you turn it on and people here will still buy it.

But it is true,  PS3 does not have games like Halo 4 or even Minecraft.   Minecraft did not have any mayor advertising on tv,  is only available as an digital download and is available on a lot of platforms still it managed to sell already more than 5,5 million on xbla...   I guess it looks like gamers really know what they want.

sales=/=quality

popularity=/= quality

Not saying a game that sells well and is popular is bad mind you.

Halo has always been a series with a ton of advertisements and most people knew what Minecraft was from it being around on PC already. It's not really hard to sell an already popular game to a giant fanbase. "PS3 does not have games like Halo 4 or even Minecraft". Why do people think this way? A games quality is based on its own merit, not by how many people bought it. I mean damn, I guess CoD is just the best thing to ever happen to gaming. You are talking about sales, but what about experiences? Ya know, the thing that SHOULD actually matter the most to so called gaming fans. I could easily say "Microsoft doesn't have any games like Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Infamous, blah blah blah ect". 

As a gaming enthusiast a person should be concerned with playing what brings enjoyment to him or her and what types of experiences can be had with different types of games. NOT what is selling well or what is trendy atm.

Quality is subjective, as a gaming enthusiast you should enjoy as many games and as many systems as possible. People have differ preferences and different tastes. Why do you feel the need to crap on the Xbox and people who prefer it based on your tastes and opinions if you are such a game enthusiast? Just curious, don't take it the wrong way.

I just don't like Microsoft as a company when it comes to gaming. They are focusing on things that shouldn't matter and a very large majority of people who buy into it don't actually care about the hobby one bit. It's just unfotunate. But what upsets me though is that those same people who don't know jack, will literally bad mouth Nintendo and Sony just because they know the 360 is popular. I'm talking about the US mind you. As a passionate gamer, I don't have any problem with Gears of War, in fact i've always liked that series. I really wish Epic didn't chose to make it exclusive to xbox, or at the very least stop making it for PC.

Games are games regardless of what system they are on. It's just the general attitude of Microsoft and the lack of passion/knowledge about the hobby and resentment towards the other two from its fanbase that I can't stand. It's the fact that people are feeding Microsoft profits despite them actually doing the least for serious gamers. They are too focused on becoming a "media hub" with other useless crap rather than on bringing quality games to consumers. They are so set on talking themselves up and saying stuff like "We are the top selling console" without mentioning that's just the US, not globally. Not to mention how they throw everything behind a paygate.

And nah, I didn't take it the wrong way, sorry if I seemed too aggressive with my opinions. I'm just tired of Microsoft earning money in the videogame industry even though it's apparent they have lost site of real gamers. I'm tired of the fanbase that doesn't know the difference between an exclusive and a multiplat game. I'm tired of the fanbase that doesn't even know what Uncharted is for christ sakes. I base all my opinions on that fanbase by the way from the numerous people I have met (real life and online) this gen in Microsoftland- er I mean the US. Sure, I know that the people I have met aren't necessarily representative of the whole, but I certainly think they are pretty close.

Even the die hard Microsoft fans hardly argue with anything that has to do with the games themselves.

If a Nintendo fan is defending Nintendo they would probably bring up Nintendos legacy of characters that have stood the test of time. They will talk about how Nintendo is focused on purely making games instead of making other types of hardware or software. They will talk about how a lot of Nintendo games are really fun and don't need to be filled with blood and gore to be satisfying to adults. Very valid points with relevance to the hobby.

If a Sony fan is defending Sony they would probably talk about how new Ips are the life blood of the industry and that Sony likes to continuously make new ones. While not as old as some of Nintendos franchises, Sony has a respectable stock of Exclusive games and characters that it's fanbase loves. They would talk about how they probably feel that out of the big 3, Sony is the one most focused on bringing great content to core gamers and that the list of exclusives under the companies belt has a large amount of variety. Very valid points with relevance to the hobby.

If a Microsoft fan is defending Microsoft they would probably talk about how well their games sell and how popular the brand name is. They will talk about how the lack of exclusives is actually a good thing because it helps those exclusives reach higher sales numbers. They might talk about how all of their friends have a 360, and that they were able to secure a pretty hefty chunk of the market. They will talk about all the great apps and social interaction that the brand offers. Very valid points but with LITTLE relevance to the hobby.

That's the difference in my opinion, Nintendo and Sony fans focus on games. The things that should actually matter the most. Microsoft fans focus on...sales? Numbers? Apps? Sure as hell not games.

Again, all this is just my opinion. Might sound too harsh, but that's the conclusion i've come to.