By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "I don't like the taste of alcohol"

After seeing a thread about who drinks what, I saw that a lot of people said "I don't like the taste of alcohol".

So I thought I'd clear this up.

This is neat alcohol:

Other than hardened alcoholic hobos, I'm not sure anyone enjoys the taste of the above.

Moving on, unsuprisingly this:

Doesn't taste the same as this:

Which doesn't taste the same as this:

So before white-washing all alcoholic drinks as the same, my advice would be to taste them before dismissing them otherwise you may not know what you're missing out on. 

Around the Network

You're on a holy quest to get people drinking or something?

Yes, they do. They all taste, to someone NOT USED TO alcohol, strongly OF pure alcohol.

With time and acquired taste they begin not to. But that is why people say that.

And let's be clear, "missing out on" is a terrible argument. You shouldn't care or put pressure on others to drink. If they want to they will do it.

Also fun fact, the picture of "neat" alcohol you linked actually has methanol added to stop it being drinkable, so people don't buy lab alcohol for cheap.

Soleron said:

Yes, they do. They all taste, to someone NOT USED TO alcohol, strongly OF pure alcohol.

With time and acquired taste they begin not to. But that is why people say that.

And let's be clear, "missing out on" is a terrible argument. You shouldn't care or put pressure on others to drink. If they want to they will do it.

Also fun fact, the picture of "neat" alcohol you linked actually has methanol added to stop it being drinkable, so people don't buy lab alcohol for cheap.

No they don't. Many cocktails don't taste of alcohol e.g. Cheeky V and Blue Lagoon.

"Missing out on" is the truth. You could be missing out on something you enjoy the taste of through nothing but sheer ignorance mixed with an equal part of arrogance. 

Chrizum said:

Just educating the masses. Drinking doesn't have to mean getting drunk, it can just be the same as enjoying a good coffee. 

Mazty said:

No they don't. Many cocktails don't taste of alcohol e.g. Cheeky V and Blue Lagoon.

then why is there even alcohol in these in the first place ? if it doesn't taste of alc, then I don't see a reason for it to be in there - personal opinion

Around the Network
Mazty said:
Chrizum said:

Just educating the masses. Drinking doesn't have to mean getting drunk, it can just be the same as enjoying a good coffee. 

But why in this particular case? I see no use in educating some extremely tiny random group of people on the internet about alcoholic beverages. It seems silly.

Ugh I drink, but only to socialize or on the rare occasions that I go out. Alcohol just might be an acquired taste, but generally all of them possess this bitter burning after taste that make my appetite disappear for a day or two after a night out. This also includes beer, I don't find the taste or the smell of beer particularly pleasant either. I do socialize and have a hot girlfriend just in case some body might try to slap an introverted stereotype on me.

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

Mazty said:
Soleron said:

"Missing out on" is the truth. You could be missing out on something you enjoy the taste of through nothing but sheer ignorance mixed with an equal part of arrogance. 

I can taste alcohol in cocktails with similar juice ratio to those. You can't because you drink.

Who are you to say that alcohol drinking is superior to not? What if you just make those cocktails without alcohol and have awesome fruit juice without any possibility of being drunk? Contradiction: these hypothetical people hate the taste of alohol but you're not OK having them drink the same thing without alcohol because they'd miss out on the taste.

Lafiel said:
Mazty said:

then why is there even alcohol in these in the first place ? if it doesn't taste of alc, then I don't see a reason for it to be in there - personal opinion

Because without the alcohol they wouldn't taste like they do...

Too many people don't realise that it can be used for flavouring purposes just like sugar or salt. When you add salt to something it can improve the flavour rather than just making it taste salty. Same with alcohol.

Soleron said:
Mazty said:
Soleron said:

I can taste alcohol in cocktails with similar juice ratio to those. You can't because you drink.

Who are you to say that alcohol drinking is superior to not? What if you just make those cocktails without alcohol and have awesome fruit juice without any possibility of being drunk? Contradiction: these hypothetical people hate the taste of alohol but you're not OK having them drink the same thing without alcohol because they'd miss out on the taste.

I rarely drink so I know what I'm talking about; try the above cocktails. 

It is not a case of it being superior or not. That attitude needs to be quashed as it's absurd. Too many people think that alcohol inherently tastes the same which is absurd whilst also having had very little tasting experience. If someone told you they don't like fruit and yet had only ever tasted an apple and a banana, would it be wrong to say "well the rest don't taste like that so why the sweeping generalisation?"

You can drink and not get drunk very easily. Alcohol is a key ingredient in those recipes. What you have said is akin to leaving out salt or sugar in a recipe. Why do people always link drinking to getting drunk? They are not the same thing and it further shows the level of ignorance that still exists around alcoholic drinks. 

While alcoholic drinks vary greatly in taste, most still have at least some degree of harshness that require an aquired taste to get used to, so I can understand some people having a hard time stomaching them. Once you've aquired it however, they're pretty damn good :D