By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Motley Fool is alarmed by Microsoft's financials

TheBigFatJ said:
Legend11 said:
Strange the guy would say that considering that the Entertainment and Devices Division which was a drain on the company is now making money and the warranty issues were paid for in advance last year. It's almost like his article is 6 months out of date.

If he sees problems with Microsoft with it's record revenue and profits it'll be interesting to see what he says about Sony which will likely lost many hundres of millions of dollars because of the PS3.
 Investors should be more well informed than to think MS entertainment division is making money since it is actually losing money.  It's just losing money set aside for it that won't count on this year's (or next year's) financial reports.  Once that money is exhausted, MS will have to do something else which will wipe away its "profits" in that division.

As I said the money was set aside, the repairs are already paid for.  Newer systems are more reliable than older ones and it's pretty obvious that as the components become smaller the problem will completely disappear (if it's not already gone now with the newer systems).

As for people not wanting to upgrade their operating systems that will obviously change over time as newer PCs have more memory, more powerful cpus and gpus, etc.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:

As I said the money was set aside, the repairs are already paid for. Newer systems are more reliable than older ones and it's pretty obvious that as the components become smaller the problem will completely disappear (if it's not already gone now with the newer systems).

As for people not wanting to upgrade their operating systems that will obviously change over time as newer PCs have more memory, more powerful cpus and gpus, etc.

By that logic, you could set aside the cost of production, or you could build a huge stockpile of hardware and then sell it for a profit in another quarter, and show a profit. Even though you're just hiding your costs.

Don't be fooled by misleading accounting practices. The repairs cost money every day.

Regardless of that individual point, this is the writing of a professional over at Motley Fool.  His biggest issue isn't with the ongoing repairs (a million Xbox 360s in a quarter was MS' expectation?!), but it was with the Vista uptake and with Microsoft's key competitors consistently outperforming Microsoft. 

DKII said:
Their Windows sales are not in any danger since all the people who aren't choosing Vista are just buying XP instead. Despite the hype Macs still have almost no foothold against PCs in the actual market.

umm...  not completely true thanks to more CE companies supporting Linux... more specifically Ubuutu. Even Dell is supporting it. 

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

And this is consumer PCs not servers. Windows is slowly losing ground to mac and Linux. =]

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
DKII said:
Their Windows sales are not in any danger since all the people who aren't choosing Vista are just buying XP instead. Despite the hype Macs still have almost no foothold against PCs in the actual market.

umm... not completely true thanks to more CE companies supporting Linux... more specifically Ubuutu. Even Dell is supporting it.

And this is consumer PCs not servers. Windows is slowly losing ground to mac and Linux. =]

About damn time :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ssj12 said:
DKII said:

umm... not completely true thanks to more CE companies supporting Linux... more specifically Ubuutu. Even Dell is supporting it.

This is true, and part of what DKII didn't account for is that Vista was expected to:

(1) Dramatically increase PC sales. PC makers wanted this so they hyped Vista and Microsoft wanted this so they hyped Vista.  Consumers have been apathetic on Vista.

(2) Draw a significant amount of OS upgrades.  For example, when Apple releases a major update to OS 10, Apple fans buy it in droves.  Microsoft wasn't expecting a response to that extent, but they thought some fairly decent percentage of their users would shell out monies for an upgrade

(3) MS wanted to change the license so Vista was non-transferrable, or had limited transferrability.  For example, why should a person pay for another Vista license just because they wanted to replace their hardware?  If you buy a copy of a game, for example, and you replace your computer, would you buy a new copy for your new computer?   This should be the same for all software, but Microsoft wanted their software tied to exactly one computer so that inevitable computer upgrades would send $50+ in Microsoft's direction and that the consumer would have to throw away their previous license.

Around the Network

"The article goes on to point out that their competition gets all of the critical praise -- critics don't praise MS software"

But critics certainly do praise Xbox 360 software.

90+ Metascore games:

360: 11

PS3: 3

Wii: 4

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

huh, wasn't expecting wii to have more 90+ than ps3, let me guess:

Mario
Metroid
Legend of zelda
and ?????? no more heros??????

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Here is the link for Microsoft's latest financials released January 24, 2008:

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnings/FY08/earn_rel_q2_08.mspx

Here are some highlights:

• $6.48 Billion Net Income for Three Months Ended December 31, 2007 ($3 Billion more than same time period in 2006)
  • Entertainment and Devices Division (Xbox 360, Live, and Zune) recorded $357 million Net Income for Three Months Ended December 31, 2007 ($600 Million more than same time period in 2006)
  • Entertainment and Devices Division (Xbox 360, Live, and Zune) recorded $524 million Net Income for Six Months Ended December 31, 2007 ($900 Million more than same time period in 2006)
  • Entertainment and Devices Division is on track to record a $1.2 Billion Net Income for this fiscal year (my analysis!)

As for MS slowing growth:

• Six Months Ended December 31, 2006 - $ 7,946 Billion Net Income
  • Six Months Ended December 31, 2007 - $12,399 Billion Net Income
  • The Net Income growth is $4 Billion or 50% Growth.
Read the article again from the original post and then look at MS's financial statements. I do not see how anyone can seriously say this is a company in decline.

I use vista, and there are very few (if any) features of Vista that I use regularly that make it better to use than XP.

Infact everything I do on Vista I could already do on XP before.

They should have done a lot more to the op system before releasing it in this state.

DX10 isn't even that much of an advantage at the moment either.

Zyzomys said:

Here is the link for Microsoft's latest financials released January 24, 2008:

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnings/FY08/earn_rel_q2_08.mspx

Here are some highlights:

• $6.48 Billion Net Income for Three Months Ended December 31, 2007 ($3 Billion more than same time period in 2006)
  • Entertainment and Devices Division (Xbox 360, Live, and Zune) recorded $357 million Net Income for Three Months Ended December 31, 2007 ($600 Million more than same time period in 2006)
  • Entertainment and Devices Division (Xbox 360, Live, and Zune) recorded $524 million Net Income for Six Months Ended December 31, 2007 ($900 Million more than same time period in 2006)
  • Entertainment and Devices Division is on track to record a $1.2 Billion Net Income for this fiscal year (my analysis!)

As for MS slowing growth:

• Six Months Ended December 31, 2006 - $ 7,946 Billion Net Income
  • Six Months Ended December 31, 2007 - $12,399 Billion Net Income
  • The Net Income growth is $4 Billion or 50% Growth.
Read the article again from the original post and then look at MS's financial statements. I do not see how anyone can seriously say this is a company in decline.

This is really all people need to see. I actually very much like Motley Fool, and I certainly do have some complaints about Microsoft (as I do any company), but honestly, how can people see their financial data and say Microsoft is in trouble?

Their profits are up nearly 50 percent from last year. They are earning somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6x as much profit as Sony. This thread strikes me more as a "I don't like Microsoft" tangent than it does real critical analysis of Microsoft's position.

Red Ring of Death. Flawed OS transition. Lack of penetration of the Zune. Yes, these are all legitimate complaints, but to take these complaints and suggest that Microsoft is in trouble? Please. They are still clearly the big dog in gaming and software in general, and just as clearly, that isn't changing. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">