By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - David Reeves strongly contradicts vgchartz?

Hey since when did we take Sony PR seriously?

Around the Network

"he may also be talking about sold to retailer, since they don't have numbers on sold to consumer"

Of course they have numbers on sold to consumers. How do you think they know how many the competition has sold?

Answer: Weekly sales figures from Chart-Track & GfK.

@jimmay
which numbers are you looking at? PS3 ltd has passed 360 in all those territories on VGC.

This is clearly BS, there is no other explanation than he means all PS vs 360 [or at least PS2+3] because otherwise you are all claiming GFK is totally off as well.

NEVER PRESUME ANYTHING FROM A PR STATEMENT!

unless he actually said "PS3 outsold 360 by ......." you cannot presume he meant it.

Fastrabbit09 said:
he may also be talking about sold to retailer, since they don't have numbers on sold to consumer

maybe ps3 did a bunch of channel stuffing that week

vgchartz has shown to be pretty accurate over months and quarters at a time...i doubt it was that far off for that one week

either he

a) was talking sold to retailer
b) was talking about SOME pal countries
c) was talking about ps3+ps2+psp

d) combination of a and b
 e) combination of a and c
 f) combination of b and c
 g) combination of a, b, and c

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

"He didn't say ALL PAL territories. So maybe he was sneaky only only meant a few PAL territories like Italy. "

Wow, you just keep trying to find new things to dismiss his figures every time the previous one gets refuted. Sorry, but you really do seem biased against the PS3 for some reason.

He's actually being specific here, SCEE often refer to PAL territories as Europe, which leads to confusion as it also includes non-European countries covered by SCEE. I'm glad he hasn't done that here.

Microsoft have the same data as Sony, so I'm sure they'll dispute it if it's not true.

It's not like he's claiming that figure for December or anything, just for one week in a slow period post holidays. Is it really that hard to believe?

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
@jimmay
which numbers are you looking at? PS3 ltd has passed 360 in all those territories on VGC.

This is clearly BS, there is no other explanation than he means all PS vs 360 [or at least PS2+3] because otherwise you are all claiming GFK is totally off as well.

NEVER PRESUME ANYTHING FROM A PR STATEMENT!

unless he actually said "PS3 outsold 360 by ......." you cannot presume he meant it.

Nope going by vgchartz numbers the ps3 is behind the 360 in france and in italy even tho david reeves says otherwise. He is clearly talking about the ps3 out selling the 360 by 3 to 1, because he was answering this question:

And how do you feel PS3 is doing in terms of ‘catching up’ with your rivals who launched earlier?

We don’t often mention competition but I will give you some interesting data. In terms of installed base in some of our major markets, such as France, Spain, Germany, Italy, plus some distributor territories in smaller markets like Switzerland, our current cumulative installed base is now higher than that of Xbox 360.

It has not quite yet reached that in the UK. But the team here expect to overtake installed base of Xbox 360 across PAL territories in late summer. I would say before, but that is when we think we will overtake Xbox 360.

It’s worth mentioning that last week we outsold Xbox 360 in PAL territories by a ratio of 3:1.

We shall see... considering we are in line with GFK for PAL then there are only two options which are like sqrl said.
either PS3 recieved a rather odd boost in sales for 1 week, or when reeves chose to say "we" instead of PS3 he meant PS family.

BKK2 said:

"He didn't say ALL PAL territories. So maybe he was sneaky only only meant a few PAL territories like Italy. "

Wow, you just keep trying to find new things to dismiss his figures every time the previous one gets refuted. Sorry, but you really do seem biased against the PS3 for some reason.

He's actually being specific here, SCEE often refer to PAL territories as Europe, which leads to confusion as it also includes non-European countries covered by SCEE. I'm glad he hasn't done that here.

Microsoft have the same data as Sony, so I'm sure they'll dispute it if it's not true.

It's not like he's claiming that figure for December or anything, just for one week in a slow period post holidays. Is it really that hard to believe?

i dont think hes being biased, atleast not in this instance.
we trust VG's numbers, there is no way ioi could make a 300% error on "others" data
and since there is no way to make sure if Reeves is telling the truth, we just make up speculations.

im thinking stores are restocking after the holidays.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

TWRoO said:
We shall see... considering we are in line with GFK for PAL then there are only two options which are like sqrl said.
either PS3 recieved a rather odd boost in sales for 1 week, or when reeves chose to say "we" instead of PS3 he meant PS family.

hes got to be pretty slow if he meant the ps family, since the question was

"And how do you feel PS3 is doing in terms of ‘catching up’ with your rivals who launched earlier?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

How many different PAL tracking firms are there? As Sony does not run their own tracking firm (hence they wouldn't know 360 sales for a period as short as 1 week) they must be viewing some 3rd party sales data. Are there any weekly charts that have PS3 at 3:1 vs. 360? If not it could be a lie, or a mistake. Also, of course if VGchartz if off GFK will be off too. VGchartz is set up to mirror other sales data like NPD, Famitsu, and GFK.

Lifetime Sales Prediction - 6/29/2013
Wii U - 38 million
XBOX One - 88 million
Playstation 4 - 145 million