By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - David Reeves strongly contradicts vgchartz?

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29430/Reeves-PS3-will-overtake-360-by-summer

Ok in the article above that a lot of people have been discussing, Reeves at one point says:

It’s also worth mentioning that last week we outsold Xbox 360 in PAL territories by a ratio of three to one.

Doesn't this massively contradict vgchartz? The interview took place this week, so he must have been speaking about weekly sales somewhere within1-3 weeks ago. In all those weeks VGchartz has 360 almost even with PS3 in others sales. Or at worst, not even approaching 2-1 in favor of PS3.  So..what gives? I'm surprised no other VGchartz users have noticed this. 

Around the Network

This was already covered in another topic here:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=15461#end

For lazy people he was almost certainly referring to PS3+PS2+PSP being 3:1 in sales to the 360 alone.

To Each Man, Responsibility

@sqrl

Do you have any proof that the playstation2+psp+ps3 is what he is reffering to?

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

^ probably not, but its always the easiest choice to assume.

Personally Im not complaining, the PS3 did outsell the 360 in Europe.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

yes, because in order to pull off that feat PS3 would have had to outsell the Wii and we know that hasn't happened, since Sony would have mentioned the Wii.

By only mentioning the 360 its clear he's talking about the other two systems 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
zackblue said:
@sqrl

Do you have any proof that the playstation2+psp+ps3 is what he is reffering to?

Do you have any proof that he is not?

If you don't then we go to logical deduction:

It is one of these scenarios:

1) They are using a similar tactic to what they have used in the past (and they have been cought using this tactic before).

2) Or we can believe that VGC data is off by a factor of 3x for hardware for the first time ever. *This would represent an unprecedented sales spike that lasted a single week only and has no apparent cause.

Personally I am going with the #1, but you are of course free to draw whatever conclusion you wish.

edit: see the comment that starts at "*" 

To Each Man, Responsibility

If you read the full interview Reeves was answering a question about PS3 catching up with 360, clearly he was only talking about PS3 sales the previous week.

"And how do you feel PS3 is doing in terms of ‘catching up’ with your rivals who launched earlier?

We don’t often mention competition but I will give you some interesting data. In terms of installed base in some of our major markets, such as France, Spain, Germany, Italy, plus some distributor territories in smaller markets like Switzerland, our current cumulative installed base is now higher than that of Xbox 360.

It has not quite yet reached that in the UK. But the team here expect to overtake installed base of Xbox 360 across PAL territories in late summer. I would say before, but that is when we think we will overtake Xbox 360.

It’s worth mentioning that last week we outsold Xbox 360 in PAL territories by a ratio of 3:1.

And how has PSP performed?

Again, I’m calling December a trinity because it’s all ‘ones’ – PSP sold more than one million units in December. It was slightly more than PS3. And we did have some substantial stock problems, just as Wii and DS did. So we could have been higher.

We’ve also seen some good growth rates: Russia was up 80 per cent, Italy up 70 per cent, Australia up 45 per cent. I don’t have a UK number but it was certainly positive.

We are still suffering from some stock shortages, but we’re air freighting in units as fast as we can. The UK is probably okay. But in Benelux, Iberia, Italy and Russia we’re seeing shortages and that’s where we’re feeding in stock at the moment.

How about PS2?

Again, PS2 did in excess of a million sell-through for December. Distributor markets accounted for about 55 per cent of sales, with Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Russia the key markets. From our point of view, social gaming titles were the ones driving the business. That will continue to be the case for PS2 for some time."

Link

He didn't say ALL PAL territories. So maybe he was sneaky only only meant a few PAL territories like Italy.

FishyJoe said:
He didn't say ALL PAL territories. So maybe he was sneaky only only meant a few PAL territories like Italy.
Or maybe just maybe it's a combination of the xbox360 being overtracked and the ps3 being undertracked on vgchartz for others. In that article he talks about the ps3 over taking the xbox360 in all pal territories by the end of the summer, that's 8 months from now. Going by vgchartz numbers the ps3 is 1.5 million behind the xbox360, 'if' the ps3 is only out selling the xbox360 by 10k a week using vgchartz then how is that possible? Either david reeves is lieing or vgchartz is wrong. Also reeves states the ps3 ltd is ahead of the 360 ltd in France, Spain, Germany, Italy, plus some distributor territories in smaller markets like Switzerland, looking at most of vgchartz numbers this isn't the case the ps3 is behind the xbox360, so either reeves is lieing or vgchartz is under tracking the ps3. He then says the ps3 ltd hasn't quite reached the 360 ltd in the uk, going by vgchartz numbers the ps3 is over 1.1 million behind the 360 in the uk with the 360 out selling the ps3 on a weekly basis. When you say something has not quite reached something else then that means it must be close to doing so, and being 1.1 million behind the 360 isn't close, again is reeves leing or is vgchartz under estimating the ps3 and/or over estimating the 360 in others.

he may also be talking about sold to retailer, since they don't have numbers on sold to consumer

maybe ps3 did a bunch of channel stuffing that week

vgchartz has shown to be pretty accurate over months and quarters at a time...i doubt it was that far off for that one week

either he

a) was talking sold to retailer
b) was talking about SOME pal countries
c) was talking about ps3+ps2+psp

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp