By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Watch out for the XBOX Next

Nidan said:
I just wanted to get something quickly down on paper and out of my head (my opinions);

So MS the largest software company[Assumption] in the world decided to enter hardware, an area outside of their core competency and they succeeded in bring the 360 to market a full year before the competition and gained market share which would of been alot harder to secure if they released at the same time as Sony.

MS however paid the penalty, their box was underdeveloped and the MS managers, pushed to succeed, cut many corners and many design mistakes were made. As a result MS has had to increase their resources and engineering capability beyond that which they budgeted for and had the RROD to circumvent. Additionally their original designs have hindered the speed in which they could reduce their production cost. An example of this is that they have to blindly manufacture the machine before they can test if the CPU is functional adding to the cost of manufacture.

We have seen that the management team at MS is good at analyzing their weaknesses, With their original xbox, they saw that exclusives killed them, so they worked to reduce this problem and move exclusives away from sony. If MS management understand the problems which plagued them this generation and learn from it, the next xbox will be an outstanding piece of hardware, which should have a very low failure rate and production costs which reduce faster and this will really hurt Sonys bottom line.

MS may have failed in some areas this generation, they are a great competitor, a formidable force against the PS3 and have caused financial pressure for Sony. Imagining that MS doesn't drop the ball next generation and learns from the mistakes they have made with the Xbox360, Sony will need to pull the rabbit out of the hat with the PS4 if they want the PS4 to outsell or match the PS3.

Sony will definitely bring another console to market, if they don't tread carefully it may be their last, especially if they don't have another agenda to push (like Blu-ray). The question is how long will MS and Sony battle it out in the gaming industry before one of them withdraws from the market like Sega or decides to enter their own niece market?.

You mean niche maket right?

Around the Network

Changes that need to be made (IMO):

Next 360: Better system (lower fail rate), Even more great exclusives, More variety in games (more non-shooters), expand into Europe/Japan

PS4: LAUNCH AT LOWER PRICE (sorry for all caps), online that matches/beats XBL, ummm other than that keep doin what your doin.

Next Wii: High Def Graphics, More good games (I don't mean more Mario games)...I mean shooters, rpg's, etc. More online gaming,

Sony has set themselves up for the next console with this one. Most of the hardware will be the same. The BD drive will be there but will be faster. The HDD and CELL will also be there. The CELL will be clocked faster and will probably have at least 2 of them along with a newer version of RSX. The ram will be increased as well to support the other CELL. So really just some minor tweaks are needed for Sony. The cost of everything that will end up in the PS4 is being reduced by the PS3. M$ on the other hand needs to add a new drive, probably BD and get a new CPU for sure. People seem to forget that Sony is a hardware company first. They have made break even on the PS3 very quickly. With another 7 years for the PS3, they will be profitable for over half of its life. They are also still making money on the PS2 and the PSP. Sony is going nowhere. M$ however will probably launch a new console well before Sony, and if they dont turn a profit with the 3rd go around I doubt they will come back with a 4th.