By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

-snip

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Not every gamer is enlightened, so they need some direction. I am one of these people who sees it as their duty to spread the truth. I am a hardcore gamer.

If the games these lesser gamers like are no good, they need to be educated on why that is the case. If they mistakingly believe the system they play is a next gen console, they need to be told why they are wrong. Even if it takes a lot of effort to get it into their heads, it has to be done. As a hardcore gamer, telling Nintendo fans why their games and systems are bad is actually more important and more enjoyable than playing video games. I know it will be a long time until everyone of these heretics has been converted, but I am confident that eventually everyone on this planet will be sick of Mario games and the constant rehashes of IPs from the stone age of video games.

But if they like a game, no matter how much it has been rehashed, no matter how badly they might be getting ripped off - the fact is they like it, so even if you don't, can't you just be happy that they get enjoyment from it and leave it at that?, after all that's what games were made for, giving those that like them enjoyment - for others that don't like them, theres always other games.

I am a gamer of all consoles, so I never really saw the point in badmouthing a console. I just see it how it is ie: Nintendo support for the Wii is atrocious right now (Wii U is out). MS seems to only have 1 big exclusive for Q1-Q2 (Gears). Sony has several coming out (Last of us, Ni No Kuni, God of War). I also do not buy games based on metacritic as I tend to dislike a bunch of 90+ games while loving 60-90 games. People who base their purchase off of metacritic are really cheating themselves. The game industry seems to have changed in a big way since small DLC offerings, and moneyhatting exclusives so that they are not multiplatform for other people to enjoy. Because of many points in your OP, I think their might be a video game crash and it might have to start anew.

Great post. I read every single word. It must have taken a lot of courage and conviction to write such a post.

You're right. About everything. You're right about this dysfunctional vicious cycle between publishers and consumers; you're right about the ugly business tactics; you're right about the lack of journalistic integrity among gaming media; you're right about rabid fans rooting for a corporate logo instead of the medium.

I don't just bash xbox, but they get the most hate from me. Not because I want them to do badly, but because of the practices people don't call them out on. I mainly insult their lack of new IP, charging for online (when I tell people what I get for $50 a year many of them switch or it's a contributing factor to their eventual switch), and making proprietary system memory (yes Vita does this too and I despise it there as well which is one of the main reasons I haven't bought a Vita yet as I view it as a $350 system since I would want at least 32gb for a 10 year lifecycle).

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

You didn't get more replies than this?! It was a great post! And I think you said it all in the OP. I guess a lot of people on these forums are heavily biased, and therefor had nothing to add (you know who you are). Me, I only want one system per gen, since they tend to cost quite a lot - and I don't game THAT often. Unfortunately I tend to like Nintendo, whom never gets decent 3rd party support, but luckily I love strategy games, so I have a PC as well where I can get most 3rd party titles. But I really need to try out Uncharted soon! Seems awesome... If you wanna tip me on some good PS3 games I'd like to hear it :)

But the most disturbing thing with your whole text is the fact that you're resigning! Why? I hope you reconsider this!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

RolStoppable said:
Tachikoma said:

But if they like a game, no matter how much it has been rehashed, no matter how badly they might be getting ripped off - the fact is they like it, so even if you don't, can't you just be happy that they get enjoyment from it and leave it at that?, after all that's what games were made for, giving those that like them enjoyment - for others that don't like them, theres always other games.

No, this is unacceptable. My gaming taste is superior and everytime I see a Nintendo system or game doing well on the sales charts, I die a little bit inside.

i think the same, masses dont know whats good

Tachikoma said:

If your opinion of a game is effected by the console it's on (exclusives), for example, if you're largely a fan of the PS3 and you see news of an xbox exclusive, if you can't stop yourself from being negative about the game, or if you simply dislike something because it's an exclusive for another system, then seriously, go to hell, i hate you, and you're the reason why the industry is as cutthroat and messed up as it is, because publishers love fanboys, they love you for your wallets and your blind stupidity.

But what about you?, can you say the same?, are you the "haha my favorite console is getting xx exclusives and yours is only getting y" type, or "haha, my console has sold xxx more than yours", or even the "haha im getting x game and you're not"...  or.. are you the type of person to say "wow, actually that game looks nice, i dont own the console it's being released on but i may have to pick one up to play it", or maybe the "it looks great but i don't want to buy the console just for one game, i'm glad you guys are getting a great game though"?

Because really, if you cant get over the platform and love games for games, you're not really a gamer, you're just an idiot.

A gamer plays games, regardless of loyalty.

It sucks when as a fan you are on the losing end of those discussions, but this behaviour isn't limited to gaming. I have said this before, but sports fans are loyal to their team....why the hell would they support the opposing one and buy their merchandise? Makes no sense.

Rivalries are a part of this industry, nor are they unique to it.

EDIT: Sounds like your getting laid off and your saving face by resigning on your own terms. Right?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Nice post, I enjoyed reading it, though I'm sad things are this way now. For a while I used to base my purchases on reviews, when I first discovered gaming sites in general, but I just enjoyed some games too much according to them. Nowadays I just look at screens/vids of games, except the ones I already know for sure that I'm getting, those I try my best not to spoil anything.

So you've made up your mind about quitting?

So you are the guy who is responsible for all the good ideas in Parodius?

THANK YOU

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.