By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To Clear up confusion on what makes Next-Generation

Mazty said:
timmah said:
Mazty said:
JayWood2010 said:

Don't reply to mazty anymore.  He is going in circles now and has been repeating himself for days.  Many people has explained it to him but he comes back saying the same things.  So just ignore him, you're better off ignoring him.

Because ignoring links and calling a CEO butthurt is a legitmate argument.

It really, really isn't. 

I didn't ignore your links, but you did ignore the facts, again...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console#Seventh_generation

Reality check - If you look at all the generations listed above, you'll notice they are grouped by release time period and by the group of consoles they compete against during a specific timeframe. there are wide power gaps between many of the systems within each gen. This is the simple reality, Wii was 7th gen, WiiU is the next step, therefore is 8th gen. If you define gens only as Massivvve leapz in powerz over everythingzzz!!!1! then well, you're outside the historical reality of the industry and can proceed to invent your own history and definition.

Reality check - wiki isn't a legitimate source. And to make it worse, that page isn't sourced where relevant.

Saying that the EA CEO is "butthurt" and DF are rooting against the Wii U is nothing more than a paranoid theory (word for word). In short, you haven't refuted what they have said, you've just denied it in the same way a creationist denies science. 

It certainly is a legit source and is the best representation of the consensus on the composition of video game generations.

http://segaretro.org/Generations_of_video_games - Generations matching above

http://seekingalpha.com/article/22075-seventh-generation-gaming-consoles-thinking-outside-the-box - Write up on the 7th gen, which includes Wii

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(seventh_generation) - Wikipedia article on the 7th gen, includes Wii, has multiple sources

http://www.onlineeducation.net/videogame_timeline - Timeline of console gens, Wii in the 7th

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/history-of-video-game-consoles.html - Another write up, Wii in 7th gen

If Wii is considered 7th gen by the industry, WiiU is 8th, period. It is the successor to Nintendo's 7th gen console, and has a 25-35x power gain over Wii, gains in efficiency, gains in architecture, gains in instruction set, as well as other advances in gameplay vs its 7th gen predecessor (Wii).

Around the Network
timmah said:
Mazty said:

Reality check - wiki isn't a legitimate source. And to make it worse, that page isn't sourced where relevant.

Saying that the EA CEO is "butthurt" and DF are rooting against the Wii U is nothing more than a paranoid theory (word for word). In short, you haven't refuted what they have said, you've just denied it in the same way a creationist denies science. 

It certainly is a legit source and is the best representation of the consensus on the composition of video game generations.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/22075-seventh-generation-gaming-consoles-thinking-outside-the-box - Write up on the 7th gen, which includes Wii

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(seventh_generation) - Wikipedia article on the 7th gen, includes Wii, has multiple sources

http://www.onlineeducation.net/videogame_timeline - Timeline of console gens, Wii in the 7th

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/history-of-video-game-consoles.html - Another write up, Wii in 7th gen

If Wii is considered 7th gen by the industry, WiiU is 8th, period. It is the successor to Nintendo's 7th gen console, and has a 25-35x power gain over Wii, gains in efficiency, gains in architecture, gains in instruction set, as well as other advances in gameplay vs its 7th gen predecessor (Wii).

How is a non-peer reviewed site open to be altered by anyone legitmate? *facepalm* Hand in a paper with wiki as a source - see what happens lol.

Random websites don't count for shit. I could put on my site that the earth is flat. And made of glass. Come on man, you said you work in IT - you must know the web is not an infalible source of truth *lawl*. 

So then explain what DF and the EA CEO have said. Unfounded, and therefore paranoid, theories are not an explanation. 

EricFabian said:
watsuke said:
Actually, since the Wii U is out, it's a current gen system. Next gen is only used to refer to a generation that hasn't begun yet. I'll elaborate further:

A prince is the "Next King" only until he becomes King, he is then the current King. The next-gen Nintendo System is not the Wii U, it's the one they make after the Wii U. If the Wii U had not been released yet, it would still be the next-gen system.

So no, the Wii U is not next-gen, it's the current gen.

lmfao

is just trolling? or could it be serious?

By the logic here the PS360 are still next-gen consoles. When does a console stop being next-gen and start being current gen? To say the Wii U is still next-gen makes no sense.

Developers are making next-gen game engines and games for the next-gen consoles, I.E. PS4/NextBox. Once those consoles release they are the current gen consoles and the game engines/games will be current gen. The Wii U is the current gen Nintendo console, the console after the Wii U is now the next-gen Nintendo console. 

Mazty said:
timmah said:
Mazty said:

How is a non-peer reviewed site open to be altered by anyone legitmate? *facepalm* Hand in a paper with wiki as a source - see what happens lol.

Random websites don't count for shit. I could put on my site that the earth is flat. And made of glass. Come on man, you said you work in IT - you must know the web is not an infalible source of truth *lawl*. 

So then explain what DF and the EA CEO have said. Unfounded, and therefore paranoid, theories are not an explanation. 

The EA CEO was speaking only about raw power, which is silly, because previous generations were not determined only by power. To say a CEO cannot have a grudge is also silly (he's not super-human), there have been a lot of articles recently about the bad blood between EA and Nintendo, so is it surprising that the EA CEO would badmouth Nintendo? This happens in business ALL.THE.TIME. There are other studios that have said the U is next gen, so you picking one CEO that shares your view does not make your case.

The most important determining factors in gens historically are general release date (relative to other consoles, coming 4-6 years after the last gen started and in the general timeframe of the start of the new batch of consoels) and the group of systems the particular consoles compete with over the life of the console. Dreamcast was quite a bit weaker than the other 6th gen systems and failed, but it is still included in write-ups about that gen. Wii is siginficantly less powerful than PS360, and is included in 7th gen sales comparisons by NPD, as well as on all video game sites and the multiple articles I posted (as well as many more out there). N64 is 5th gen, GC is 6th, Wii is 7th gen, WiiU is 8th. It's as simple as counting.

This is not a scientific argument, so no need for a peer-reviewed site, lol. Multiple articles across Wikipedia, all with sources, refer to the Wii as a 7th gen console. This, along with the fact that literally any article discussing the 7th gen includes Wii, shows a consensus across the industry that the Wii is 7th gen, which would make the WiiU 8th gen. This is not difficult to grasp.

EDIT: I have explained to you, ad nauseam, how your views on this as well as the comments by EA and DF are wrong, it is because power is not the only, nor even the primary factor in determining console generations, as demonstrated by previous generational groupings.

EDIT2: You call all of the Wikipedia articles crap, call the other articles crap, yet provide no sources to the contrary of your own aside from two random opinions and your opinions. I'm telling you that the same argument was made about the Wii by some, but history views it as a 7th gen console. You cannot build a case to the contrary regarding the Wii not being 7th gen, therefore its successor (WiiU) is and will be considered by history as 8th gen.

timmah said:
Mazty said:

The EA CEO was speaking only about raw power, which is silly, because previous generations were not determined only by power. To say a CEO cannot have a grudge is also silly (he's not super-human), there have been a lot of articles recently about the bad blood between EA and Nintendo, so is it surprising that the EA CEO would badmouth Nintendo? This happens in business ALL.THE.TIME. There are other studios that have said the U is next gen, so you picking one CEO that shares your view does not make your case.

The most important determining factors in gens historically are general release date (relative to other consoles, coming 4-6 years after the last gen started and in the general timeframe of the start of the new batch of consoels) and the group of systems the particular consoles compete with over the life of the console. Dreamcast was quite a bit weaker than the other 6th gen systems and failed, but it is still included in write-ups about that gen. Wii is siginficantly less powerful than PS360, and is included in 7th gen sales comparisons by NPD, as well as on all video game sites and the multiple articles I posted (as well as many more out there). N64 is 5th gen, GC is 6th, Wii is 7th gen, WiiU is 8th. It's as simple as counting.

This is not a scientific argument, so no need for a peer-reviewed site, lol. Multiple articles across Wikipedia, all with sources, refer to the Wii as a 7th gen console. This, along with the fact that literally any article discussing the 7th gen includes Wii, shows a consensus across the industry that the Wii is 7th gen, which would make the WiiU 8th gen. This is not difficult to grasp.

EDIT: I have explained to you, ad nauseam, how your views on this as well as the comments by EA and DF are wrong, it is because power is not the only, nor even the primary factor in determining console generations, as demonstrated by previous generational groupings.

EDIT2: You call all of the Wikipedia articles crap, call the other articles crap, yet provide no sources to the contrary of your own aside from two random opinions and your opinions. I'm telling you that the same argument was made about the Wii by some, but history views it as a 7th gen console. You cannot build a case to the contrary regarding the Wii not being 7th gen, therefore its successor (WiiU) is and will be considered by history as 8th gen.

Bold:
Really? Proof please.

You claim to work in management. Do you really think a CEO is going to have a grudge and actually act upon it?! This really makes me question if you do work, not in just IT, but in general. 

No, that does not happen in business all the time. I work in a huge multinational. Office politics exists, but at that level of management it's all smiles and bleached teeth. 

If you just throw down any old crap then I could literally go away right now, write an article up stating how you are wrong, and you would have to view that as a legit source. Please think through the results of what you are saying. 

Paranoid unfounded theories do not dismiss what a CEO and DF say. I could just as easily claim you're an undercover rep for Nintendo. Tin foil hats for everyone...

"Two random opinions"? 
Actually one is probably one of the most powerful men in the gaming world, and the other is a full technical review of the Wii U. You've just quoted wiki and people who say it's next gen but give no reason other than "because it is". 

"History views the wii as 7th gen"
And who wrote that exactly? As I've stated one of the major issues here is a general lack of education. When the wii was released, no one had reason to suspect it wasn't 7th gen, but as time moved on it clearly showed that it lacked a lot of power and was aimed at a completely different market. By what logic are you saying that it makes sense to claim two products are in the same generation when they have vastly different capabilites and aren't even aimed at the same market? Why not go and put a Cessna next to a Raptor and claim they're both 5th gen jet fighters *facepalm*

Ultimately all you are doing is repeating yourself and ignoring two legitamate sources that throw into question the entire gen system. Please address those sources - simply dissmissing them is not adequate as they are more than just some random guy who knows html. 

Around the Network
Mazty said:
timmah said:
Mazty said:

Bold:
Really? Proof please.

You claim to work in management. Do you really think a CEO is going to have a grudge and actually act upon it?! This really makes me question if you do work, not in just IT, but in general. 

No, that does not happen in business all the time. I work in a huge multinational. Office politics exists, but at that level of management it's all smiles and bleached teeth. 

If you just throw down any old crap then I could literally go away right now, write an article up stating how you are wrong, and you would have to view that as a legit source. Please think through the results of what you are saying. 

Paranoid unfounded theories do not dismiss what a CEO and DF say. I could just as easily claim you're an undercover rep for Nintendo. Tin foil hats for everyone...

"Two random opinions"? 
Actually one is probably one of the most powerful men in the gaming world, and the other is a full technical review of the Wii U. You've just quoted wiki and people who say it's next gen but give no reason other than "because it is". 

"History views the wii as 7th gen"
And who wrote that exactly? As I've stated one of the major issues here is a general lack of education. When the wii was released, no one had reason to suspect it wasn't 7th gen, but as time moved on it clearly showed that it lacked a lot of power and was aimed at a completely different market. By what logic are you saying that it makes sense to claim two products are in the same generation when they have vastly different capabilites and aren't even aimed at the same market? Why not go and put a Cessna next to a Raptor and claim they're both 5th gen jet fighters *facepalm*

Ultimately all you are doing is repeating yourself and ignoring two legitamate sources that throw into question the entire gen system. Please address those sources - simply dissmissing them is not adequate as they are more than just some random guy who knows html. 

NES - 3rd gen (after the 1st & second gens and the subseuent video game crash of '77), SNES - 4th gen (with Genesis), N64 - 5th gen (with PS1), GC - 6th gen (with PS2, Xbox), Wii - 7th gen (With 360/PS3), WiiU - 8th gen (with the soon to be released PS4/720). Please go back and prove all systems listed here are actually in the gen before so the numbers line up with your argument, provide evidence based on articles, sales comparisons, analysts, etc. that the numbers for the previous gens are wrong and are not accepted by the industry. If you can't disprove that the N64 was 5th gen, GC was 6th gen and Wii was 7th (and so on), you have no case that the successor to the accepted 7th gen system from Nintendo would not be an 8th gen system, as it is one generation, or new architecture/platform release after the accepted 7th gen console (Wii). (7 + 1 = 8)

EDIT: On you saying 'you could go write any crap and put it on the internet', that doesn't mean the articles are crap in this discussion. The fact that all articles discussing gens show the Wii in the seventh gen points to a consensus across the industry and industry related media on the DEFINITION of a console gen. You're trying to re-define gen to be only about power, which goes against the media/industry consensus on how console gens are & have been viewed.

timmah said:

NES - 3rd gen (after the 1st & second gens and the subseuent video game crash of '77), SNES - 4th gen (with Genesis), N64 - 5th gen (with PS1), GC - 6th gen (with PS2, Xbox), Wii - 7th gen (With 360/PS3), WiiU - 8th gen (with the soon to be released PS4/720). Please go back and prove all systems listed here are actually in the gen before so the numbers line up with your argument, provide evidence based on articles, sales comparisons, analysts, etc. that the numbers for the previous gens are wrong and are not accepted by the industry. If you can't disprove that the N64 was 5th gen, GC was 6th gen and Wii was 7th (and so on), you have no case that the successor to the accepted 7th gen system from Nintendo would not be an 8th gen system, as it is one generation, or new architecture/platform release after the accepted 7th gen console (Wii). (7 + 1 = 8)

Have you thought about the possiblity that the whole system has been fucked from it's inception? Also the GC was hardly noticably better than the PS2 or Xbox. Same with the PS1 and N64. Compare something like RE:3 to Golden Eye. 

However with the Wii, well the power difference is phenomanl, and the same apparently will happen yet again. 

Also saying "omg look at the past" doesn't change the fact that as of right now, two major sources have said the Wii U is not next-gen.

Please avoid fallacies and address what was said:
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/tu-quoque

Mazty said:
timmah said:

Have you thought about the possiblity that the whole system has been fucked from it's inception? Also the GC was hardly noticably better than the PS2 or Xbox. Same with the PS1 and N64. Compare something like RE:3 to Golden Eye. 

However with the Wii, well the power difference is phenomanl, and the same apparently will happen yet again. 

Also saying "omg look at the past" doesn't change the fact that as of right now, two major sources have said the Wii U is not next-gen.

@bold Conspiracies man... Since its inception it has been defined as this, if all of a sudden it changes to whatever you are arguing that it should be then thats what the generations will be defined as.(See my other post in this thread)

But for now it is what it is and Wii U will be defined by most as 8th gen.

Farsala said:
Mazty said:
timmah said:

@bold Conspiracies man... Since its inception it has been defined as this, if all of a sudden it changes to whatever you are arguing that it should be then thats what the generations will be defined as.(See my other post in this thread)

Right so saying a system which doesn't follow the standard business practice of "generation" is a conspiracy, but claiming the EA CEO is butthurt and DF is out to destroy the Wii U isn't?

Lolk if you say so. 

This is the issue. Too many gamers are wholly unaware of buisness practice and terms outside of gaming. 

Mazty said:
Farsala said:
Mazty said:
timmah said:

Right so saying a system which doesn't follow the standard business practice of "generation" is a conspiracy, but claiming the EA CEO is butthurt and DF is out to destroy the Wii U isn't?

Lolk if you say so. 

This is the issue. Too many gamers are wholly unaware of buisness practice and terms outside of gaming. 

Seems to just be you.