By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Sony TOTALLY get rid of BC in the PS3?

Well, I did see a 60gb on craigslist in my area for $325 about a week ago. They are out there and they aren't exactly rare, and if you look you could find a good deal for one from somebody who doesn't know about the BC wants of some gamers.

I have a 60gb, but I played 1 PS2 title on it when I first got it, but haven't played any ps2 games on it since.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network

No BC means I won't be buying a PS3.
I was hoping for 80G to be selling at $399 soon.
I hope this isn't true.

schattenwolf86 said:
Yeah rereading that...doesn't make too much sense what I wrote. If they did put PS2 games on the PSN, who knows how that would work. If they do do that they probably would design it so that only PS2 games downloaded off the PSN would work on the PS3 and not PS2 games on a PS2 disc. Reason there: make more $$$.
No, I understood you perfectly.  But what you're saying is never going to happen.  People would hate them.  And I don't just mean, "Oh, I hate waiting in line" hate, I mean undying HATRED of Sony.  No BC is bad.  But no BC for the explicit purpose of reselling you your own games as DLC is another universe of unacceptable.

"Oh yeah, those 100 PS2 games you own?  Well we want you to buy them all over again for the privilege of being able to play them on the PS3.  At least the ones we feel like bothering to sell you."  Like I said, there would be effigies, and they would be burned, possibly at the stake.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Say speaking of PS3's what's the deal with the 20 gig not having a memory card reader but having BC?

Am I miss informed or do you just start your games over and save them on the HD?

Really that looks like the option for me. Don't give a damn for room decor, so having wiring is no big problem and i can always drop in a bigger HD.

Coca-Cola said:
No BC means I won't be buying a PS3.
I was hoping for 80G to be selling at $399 soon.
I hope this isn't true.

Keep telling your self that bud, what ever makes it easier for you.

But reality is once FF13 GT5 GT4 hit you wont give a rats ass about bc, no one with even an ounce of brains will.

Around the Network

It would make sense, since the reduction in chips helps cut down on the 40gb price it would probably be easier to further reduce production costs by only producing 1 system type. Besides the PS3 library will get some really good games this year which should make BC less of an issue.

naznatips said:
Gnizmo said:
NFGBlinkAC said:
@ Naztips

Are those only with the 80GB model? I have yet to encounter an issue with my 60GB, tho i yet to play some games on it, like DQ VIII, which I wanna play again now :( lol

The 60gb is fully backwards cimpatible so you wouldn't see those issues. I am really surprised by Naznatips list of games. I expected a few titles to have glitches but some of those seem like games they should have gone out of their way to make work.

Right, these would be 80GB only issues. I still really want a PS3. In fact, I'll be buying either that or a 360 very soon, but the lack of BC still bothers me. I may go for a 60GB on eBay...

Yeah, the 60 GB does BC through hardware, so it's fine.  The hardware approach is really the way to go; it worked great for PS1 compatibility in the PS2, for PS2 compatibility in the 60 GB PS3, and for Gamecube compatibility in the Wii.  Software solutions will always have problems.

In general, the games that pushed the original hardware the most (i.e. the best games) will be the most difficult to emulate with software.  GT4 is a perfect example of that.  You really need more than an order of magnitude increase in performance to emulate all the little details, otherwise you have to resort to approximations.  Even the N64's GPU microcode isn't emulated properly on the Virtual Console.

Kasz216 said:
Say speaking of PS3's what's the deal with the 20 gig not having a memory card reader but having BC?

Am I miss informed or do you just start your games over and save them on the HD?

Really that looks like the option for me. Don't give a damn for room decor, so having wiring is no big problem and i can always drop in a bigger HD.

No PS3 has a memory card slot for PS1/PS2 memory cards. To load your old cards up, you have to buy an adapter to load them on a HDD. They only cost $15 so it's not much of an issue.

OT: I'm glad I have a 60GB. That's all I will say about that. I still play PS2 games on the thing and would be furious if I wanted a PS3 in a year or so and couldn't find a BC model at all. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I am happy with the 80GB, but if I only had the option of a 40GB I would have just kept my PS2 instead of selling it for like $40.

Kasz216 said:

Sony's original plan was to have full B/C for the PS3 for production costs they cut it out. The reason why the 20GB has no media card reader is because it was one of the extra features for the 60GB.