By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony has less First Party Studios than Microsoft. 21 vs 15

DanneSandin said:

What kind of games are Infamous and Resistance?

InFamous is an Action/Adventure i think.  Resistance is an FPS.  I personally loved Resistance 3 as far as singleplayer goes.  The guns are a lot of fun to use.  Considering your style of games though, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time and the Upcoming Sly Game would be a good bet for you.  Also ICO & Shadow of Collosus is amazing! XD

I noticed you said something aboud SoC so just throwing that in there in case you havent played them

Around the Network

LOL. There is a clear hidden agenda with this thread.
Most of these studios MS has are new and aren't even making games.
Anyway I'm sure there's lots of stuff you missed here.

Where did you get this info? Wikipedia?

JayWood2010 said:
DanneSandin said:

InFamous is an Action/Adventure i think.  Resistance is an FPS.  I personally loved Resistance 3 as far as singleplayer goes.  The guns are a lot of fun to use.  Considering your style of games though, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time and the Upcoming Sly Game would be a good bet for you.  Also ICO & Shadow of Collosus is amazing! XD

I noticed you said something aboud SoC so just throwing that in there in case you havent played them

Might have to try out InFamous then! I'm not much of a FPS guy :p

What kind of games are Ratchet & Clank then? platformer I figure? And Sly as well? Yeah, I've been wanting SotC since I heard of it ^^

Is there any PS3 game recommendation thread around here? I could really need some suggestions for when the time comes and I get my hands on a PS3...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
platformmaster918 said:
DanneSandin said:

I didn't say I didn't admire Sony's effort of always giving us new IP's; I actually think that's a great thing they're doing, and more (perhaps most of all, Nintendo) should do it as well. And I have actually tried UC, GT, Twisted Metal and LBP. I'm not too interested in racing simulations and I prefer Super Mario over LBP, and Twisted Metal definitely isn't as good as it used to be. UC is something I really wanna play more of though!! And it's unfortunate you saying that Sly isn't as good as Mario (and implying that it's not as good as Jak either) since Thief's in Time has picked my interest =/

Now, Heavy Rain is too much of a movie to me; I'd much rather just watch an actual film instead, and GoW is just ridiculously gory and over the top for me to take seriously. I mean, come on - it's really silly to watch. They tried to make him too macho for my taste.

The boss fights in God of War are really hard when you play on higher difficulties (at least for me who never got into the hack and slash genre) so it's really satisfying to rip them apart and they always come up with the most appropriate way to do so for THAT specific character, which is why I don't mind the gore.  That and the scale is always epic while you're playing not just in cutscenes.  Heavy Rain really immerses you after the awkward tutorial stage and I've never found myself taking deep breaths after decisions or action scenes like in that game.  I was skeptical like you at first which is why I bought it when it was $30 but I'm getting Beyond at launch after seeing what it could do and the deep decision making that went into it.

I LOVE sly and have Thieves in Time pre-ordered I just don't view it as a top tier franchise.  The whole pressing circle to latch onto things never felt really smooth like climing in Uncharted, but it certainly has its charm and I'm looking forward to platinuming it.  I do like Jak and Ratchet better (2 of my favorite franchises of all time) but I simply put it below Mario because I just thought I would be run out of the internet for ever comparing Sly to Mario honestly.  But it's good to see a fellow admirer of the raccoon who isn't afraid to give him that honor.

I would encourage you to try Infamous if you haven't already it got lower scores than a lot of games as did Resistance 3 but all 3 of them are some of my favorite games this gen (R3 definitely my favorite shooter and I'm so mad at Sony for not marketing it better!)

Yeah,I've seen a few of the boss fights in GoW, and they DO look mighty impressive! But, I mean, if I just wanted the scale of things I might just as well get Shadow of the Colossus and skip all the hack'n'slash gore and get straight to the good parts ^^ When I get my hands on a PS3 I'll ask my friends if they have HR, then I'll give it a go - but I'm not buying the game =)

I've never played any of SOnys platformers (except for LBP) so I'd love to get some tip on which ones are good!

Resistance is an FPS.  I would only recommend 3 although people also seem to enjoy 1.  It's nothing special in MP but SP in 3 is fantastic with upgrading weapon (as in you use them more and they level up from 1-3 and get different powers as a result).  

I've played them both and I can tell you that GoW's combat is VERY different than SotC's.  They're really not comparable and the combat against the lesser enemies is fun too just the boss fights are the climactic moments.  

Infamous is a superhero game.  It's a third person, open world, platformer where you use electricity powers to fight gangs and help a plague infested city that has been quarentined.  You get new powers thoughout the game and gain xp from main and side missions (along with stylish kills) to upgrade the powers.  As far as platformers go I would recommend picking up the Ratchet, Jak, and/or Sly collections because they're cheap as hell (so is GoW saga for FIVE games) and give you a good sense of the PS3 games for Ratchet and Sly.  

Ratchet and Clank is my favorite series of all time and ACiT is my favorite game this gen.  3 is my favorite game of all time so if you have to choose one franchise to invest I'm telling you that one every time, but DO NOT start out with All4One or Full Frontal Assult as I'm appauled they even made those as a fan of the franchise as its now looking milked and they could've spent that time working on a PS4 one in the same vein as ACiT and all the other good ones but oh well.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

DanneSandin said:
JayWood2010 said:
DanneSandin said:

What kind of games are Ratchet & Clank then? platformer I figure? And Sly as well? Yeah, I've been wanting SotC since I heard of it ^^

Is there any PS3 game recommendation thread around here? I could really need some suggestions for when the time comes and I get my hands on a PS3...

R&C and Sly are both platformers.  R&C would be a good place to start.  Jak&Daxter has the HD remastered trilogy as well which is really good.  ICO&SotC are very unique games.  Some of my favorite games of all time.  ModNation if you like Mario Kart.  Im trying to think of things you would like.   Maybe Journey although it is extremely short it is good.  Dont expect great platforming like Mario though.  It is just an experience more than anything.  You said you dont care for LBP so i cant really think of any exclusives you would care for other than those.  Multiplatform though is a different story

Around the Network
VGKing said:
LOL. There is a clear hidden agenda with this thread.
Most of these studios MS has are new and aren't even making games.

No hidden agenda.  It is very obvious that these are studios that have recently been built and are currently working on new games.  Not really sure of your point and why you say it is a hidden agenda.  All i did was state facts.  After that state your opinions but do not come inhere and say i have some kind of hidden agenda.  

platformmaster918 said:
DanneSandin said:

Yeah,I've seen a few of the boss fights in GoW, and they DO look mighty impressive! But, I mean, if I just wanted the scale of things I might just as well get Shadow of the Colossus and skip all the hack'n'slash gore and get straight to the good parts ^^ When I get my hands on a PS3 I'll ask my friends if they have HR, then I'll give it a go - but I'm not buying the game =)

I've never played any of SOnys platformers (except for LBP) so I'd love to get some tip on which ones are good!

Resistance is an FPS.  I would only recommend 3 although people also seem to enjoy 1.  It's nothing special in MP but SP in 3 is fantastic with upgrading weapon (as in you use them more and they level up from 1-3 and get different powers as a result).  

I've played them both and I can tell you that GoW's combat is VERY different than SotC's.  They're really not comparable and the combat against the lesser enemies is fun too just the boss fights are the climactic moments.  

Infamous is a superhero game.  It's a third person, open world, platformer where you use electricity powers to fight gangs and help a plague infested city that has been quarentined.  You get new powers thoughout the game and gain xp from main and side missions (along with stylish kills) to upgrade the powers.  As far as platformers go I would recommend picking up the Ratchet, Jak, and/or Sly collections because they're cheap as hell (so is GoW saga for FIVE games) and give you a good sense of the PS3 games for Ratchet and Sly.  

Ratchet and Clank is my favorite series of all time and ACiT is my favorite game this gen.  3 is my favorite game of all time so if you have to choose one franchise to invest I'm telling you that one every time, but DO NOT start out with All4One or Full Frontal Assult as I'm appauled they even made those as a fan of the franchise as its now looking milked and they could've spent that time working on a PS4 one in the same vein as ACiT and all the other good ones but oh well.

I still think I' gonna skip GoW ^^ And I've never been a FPS guy, so I guess Resistance is a skip as well :P

But InFamous does sound quite promising. Now that you describe it a bit I know I've seen footage of it... And I can actually differ R&C from Jak and Sly; didn't you have R&C as a avvy quite recently? So getting either of those collections would be a good starting point for PS3 platformers?

JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Microsoft has had more studios than Sony for nearly two years now, they still aren't pumping out as many IP's.

They haven't released games yet either.  Depending on what kind of game they are working on, games can take anywhere from 1-6 years to develop.  in some cases like the Last Guardian 20 bajilion and a half -_- 

Werent most of the new IP's for Kinect and Xbox Live though??

We dont know yet.  Black Tusk Studios is working on a game from what they say is expected to be very big. (Compared it to Halo in terms of size)  Could just be hype but we know it is a big project.  Connected is working onsomething to with multiplayer but we dont know what.  They also help other studios.  Victoria and L.A which will probably reveal different names later like they did with black tusk studios and say what they are working on.  That is 4 studios that have a good chance to be working on core titles.  I dont know about the other ones though. Im sure Some of them will be focused on kinect though. 

Yeah, last I heard from my count there were only three new companies dedicated to "Core" titles. Black Tusk in Vancouver, Victoria and one more. In all we have 343, Turn 10, Black Tusk, Victoria and Lionhead officially but I think there is one more. Lionhead imploded it will only be remembered for its PC games. I called it that, that studio would implode from creative differences and bad leadership and not profit issues. The Xbox 360 fanbase is loyal enough to hope for a day they would deliver.

JayWood2010 said:
DanneSandin said:
JayWood2010 said:
DanneSandin said:

R&C and Sly are both platformers.  R&C would be a good place to start.  Jak&Daxter has the HD remastered trilogy as well which is really good.  ICO&SotC are very unique games.  Some of my favorite games of all time.  ModNation if you like Mario Kart.  Im trying to think of things you would like.   Maybe Journey although it is extremely short it is good.  Dont expect great platforming like Mario though.  It is just an experience more than anything.  You said you dont care for LBP so i cant really think of any exclusives you would care for other than those.  Multiplatform though is a different story

If the price is right, I don't mind short games. Sometimes it feels quite good knowing a game won't take you 50 hours or more to finish ^^

Why don't you head up to my wall? I'd love some PS3 suggestions! Or would it be better to start a recommendation thread?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Microsoft has had more studios than Sony for nearly two years now, they still aren't pumping out as many IP's.

They haven't released games yet either.  Depending on what kind of game they are working on, games can take anywhere from 1-6 years to develop.  in some cases like the Last Guardian 20 bajilion and a half -_- 

Werent most of the new IP's for Kinect and Xbox Live though??

We dont know yet.  Black Tusk Studios is working on a game from what they say is expected to be very big. (Compared it to Halo in terms of size)  Could just be hype but we know it is a big project.  Connected is working onsomething to with multiplayer but we dont know what.  They also help other studios.  Victoria and L.A which will probably reveal different names later like they did with black tusk studios and say what they are working on.  That is 4 studios that have a good chance to be working on core titles.  I dont know about the other ones though. Im sure Some of them will be focused on kinect though. 

Yeah, last I heard from my count there were only three new companies dedicated to "Core" titles. Black Tusk in Vancouver, Victoria and one more. In all we have 343, Turn 10, Black Tusk, Victoria and Lionhead officially but I think there is one more. Lionhead imploded it will only be remembered for its PC games.

My bet would be on L.A and Platfrom Next if not both of them.  Hopefully they will tell us the studios names eventually because i hate calling them Victoria and L.A lol