By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony has less First Party Studios than Microsoft. 21 vs 15

So I found out something very intersting.  As I've said for a while it looks like Microsoft is planning for the NeXbox and now that I see that they have 21 First Party Studios and 10 of them we do not even know what they are doing yet.  Platform Next Studios, Victoria, and L.A. Studios are all ones that pop out to me immediately. As you can see, Microsoft has built a bundle of studios including the recently successful 343 Industries. Not only that but as I look at this list I recognize how much Microsoft has done this generation with partnering up with Third Party Studios as they have made 67 deals with Third Parties this Generation! That is crazy.

Sony actually only has 15 First Party Studios compared to Microsoft but the thing is they also have 16 Second Party Studios.  One thing that really popped out to me was that they lacked in Third Party Partnerships this generation but then again don't let that fool you because Sony is pretty much a partner with Japan compared to Microsoft.  So if you like Japanese games that is good. Them vs Nintendo is a whole different story though. Regardless,  just look at Ni No Kuni for example.  Not  a partnership but Japanese developers just doesn't seem to like Microsoft so that is good for Sony.

Microsoft Studios

First Party (21)

United States

Europe

Canada

Around the Network

Interesting... Are they mainly making XBL games or what? I'm not too knowledgeable with their current IP offerings but it seems like Sony shoots out way more IPs than Microsoft.

Still will never let Microsoft down for ignoring Crimson Skies IP.  I would never buy a console from them but that is one of the few games they made that I enjoyed.

*BAM!* So that means MS should pump out more franchises than Sony on a regular basis

so they have no excuse to not deliver more high-end exclusives than Sony on the regular now

this will be the official Sony franchises vs MS franchises generation

who will have the more quality franchises as a whole?

you have enlightened me with this info. You have also raised the expectations so if MS DOES NOT deliver more franchises than Sony then....

i'll save that for later

this is going to be good

sethnintendo said:

Interesting... Are they mainly making XBL games or what? I'm not too knowledgeable with their current IP offerings but it seems like Sony shoots out way more IPs than Microsoft.

Still will never let Microsoft down for ignoring Crimson Skies IP.  I would never buy a console from them but that is one of the few games they made that I enjoyed.

So far we know Black Tusk Studios is working on a huge project (They said as big as halo).  Also a cinimatic game is being made by one of their studios although we dont know which one, and Marlow Briggs is another one if it turns out to be a game.  Right now it is just a patented trademark under game software but it could end up being DLC or a character, who knows.

can somebody explain to me the difference between first party and second party?

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:

First Party - Completely owned by the platform holder 

Second Party - Usually a third party studio who has been contracted by the platform holder to work on a license owned by the platform holder 

Third Party - A game developed by an outside company based on their own original intellectual property 

JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:

First Party - Completely owned by the platform holder 

Second Party - Usually a third party studio who has been contracted by the platform holder to work on a license owned by the platform holder 

Third Party - A game developed by an outside company based on their own original intellectual property 

so second party developers can stop making exclusives for a platform, but they dont own the IP. 

You forgot Sony Online Entertainment.  They're a pretty big team.

Anyway, yep, they most certainly do. Now it's time to start seeing some games from all these studios.

bananaking21 said:

Actually, there is none... There is no such thing as second party studios afaik

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Anyways, this gen will be really interesting to watch! As far as I'm concerned: Nintendo's 1st party games >>>Sony>>>>>MS

But maybe that'll change now??

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.