By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No More Heroes first impressions

naznatips said:
Meh, I think you are overly harsh on the minigame stuff, especially when you can clear the game without spending much time on it at all. I agree the overworld sucks, but it's such a small part of the game.

I could be since I haven't played many of it, that's one of the reasons why I was hesitant to put a score on anything. 

For now though, I'm not too happy with the whole open world part.  I would play more today to get a better feel for it but I pinched a nerve in my neck this morning and waving my arms about doesn't sound too appealing at the moment. 

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
twesterm said:
  • The screen gets cluttered too much during fights
    • When you do the special finishing moves during fights, a little slot machine appears in the bottom of the screen. When you get three of anything in a row you get a special powerup that generally helps a lot. This would be cool except for the fact when you get three in a row it covers the middle third of the screen for about 5-10 seconds and it's incredibly annoying. I really don't think they could have found a worse spot to put that thing.

You know, back when we first saw videos of this game I said this.

I said it looked too busy especially during that part and quite a few posters told me that I couldn't judge that from the videoes (Naznatips should remember that thread...). I hope the rest of the posters that were so ready to tell me different back then remember the thread too. If not, I'd like to remind them.

So in sum... told ya so.

The power up isn't on the screen for 5-10 seconds.  That's an exageration.  It flashes the name of the power up right before it activates.  Maybe 3 seconds at most, but time slows when it happens so that you don't die.  So, hah, maybe you should play the game before you say anything.

naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
twesterm said:
    • When you do the special finishing moves during fights, a little slot machine appears in the bottom of the screen. When you get three of anything in a row you get a special powerup that generally helps a lot. This would be cool except for the fact when you get three in a row it covers the middle third of the screen for about 5-10 seconds and it's incredibly annoying. I really don't think they could have found a worse spot to put that thing.

I said it looked too busy especially during that part and quite a few posters told me that I couldn't judge that from the videoes (Naznatips should remember that thread...). I hope the rest of the posters that were so ready to tell me different back then remember the thread too. If not, I'd like to remind them.

So in sum... told ya so.

The power up isn't on the screen for 5-10 seconds. That's an exageration. It flashes the name of the power up right before it activates. Maybe 3 seconds at most, but time slows when it happens so that you don't die. So, hah, maybe you should play the game before you say anything.

Nothing you've said contradicts anything I've said.  ^_~

I'm rank 5 assassin right now and I must say the more I play this game the more I like it. All the battle clutter isn't a problem after you start to get used to the pace of the fights. At first it was a real distraction, but now I love it. All the stuff flying around never gets in the way since it slows down combat when the most distracting stuff is going on.

The overworld is the only part that annoys me. It's not so bad except I hate driving back and forth in between fights. Honestly though, I think it's a hilarious contrast to the fun parts of the game that makes a pretty honest real world statement (even if it's unintentional). You have the "real world" where you have to engage in meaningless tasks to make your money. It's boring and tedious and you can't just do whatever you want. Then you have the assassin fights where you can go crazy. That's where Travis can act as his true self, and that's where the best parts of the game occur. I think they even talk about this during the game.

We are sold out at work, but the data pool is, um, tainted. Employees bought three of our four copies and all of them are friends of mine. One is even my roomate who got so excited after hearing us talk about he he asked if he could pick it up for me and use it as part of his share of rent/utilities for the month. I agreed, so yes I accept videogames for rent money- I am that dorky.

I can't play until tomorrow but he seems to be enjoying it. I can't wait to report more.

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
twesterm said:

So in sum... told ya so.

The power up isn't on the screen for 5-10 seconds. That's an exageration. It flashes the name of the power up right before it activates. Maybe 3 seconds at most, but time slows when it happens so that you don't die. So, hah, maybe you should play the game before you say anything.

I could believe that since I can exaggerate things every now and then () and 3 seconds can sure feel like 10 when you think you're going to die.

The game looks like a lot of fun, but I suspect this will be one I pick up in a couple months once the price comes down a little.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.