By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: EoW Trailer Shows Off Still World, Swordfighter Form

Best Zelda news from the June Nintendo Direct?

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom 6 75.00%

Four Swords on NSO 0 0%

Hyrule Edition Switch Lite 2 25.00%

Total:8
Incubi said:
S.Peelman said:
RolStoppable said:
S.Peelman said:

First off I agree with Rol that it feels very much like a remake.

You are a tool.

A sequel that is set in the same world will obviously have a lot of the same locations. But did anyone ever call games like Final Fantasy X-2, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World or Baten Kaitos Origins remakes? No, because they hadn't drunk the Nintendo haterade and those weren't Nintendo games.

Hehe. Nice response.

I already wasn't completely sure whether or not that statement of yours was serious, but I accepted it because it's a sentiment I agreed with regardless. One can't ignore that the start of the game is a lot like A Link to the Past: Start in the same house, go to the castle, get sword from someone who can't use it anymore, take underground passage to the sanctuary, get told by the same old man what to do and proceed to get three pendants before you'll get the Master Sword from the Lost Woods. Really the only thing that's not the same is that Zelda gets to stay in the castle.

I, for one, love how this game play to your expectations in the beginning of the game and BOOM! Mindfuck. Its great!

Oh I'll probably like that to... However I'm not far enough yet, so to me it's still 'the same', but like I said... That sentiment will probably change once I get further along .

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
S.Peelman said:

Hehe. Nice response.

I already wasn't completely sure whether or not that statement of yours was serious, but I accepted it because it's a sentiment I agreed with regardless. One can't ignore that the start of the game is a lot like A Link to the Past: Start in the same house, go to the castle, get sword from someone who can't use it anymore, take underground passage to the sanctuary, get told by the same old man what to do and proceed to get three pendants before you'll get the Master Sword from the Lost Woods. Really the only thing that's not the same is that Zelda gets to stay in the castle.

Even if the game didn't take place in ALttP's Hyrule, the start of the game would still be a lot like in ALttP. Link is often a boy who gets involved by circumstance, not knowing that he is a chosen one. He always ends up with a sword one way or the other and someone tells him to find some sacred artifacts and about the Master Sword. Similar things happen in OoT, TWW, TP and SS, and a few character types being shuffled around don't really change the story.

Of course. But combine that with the thing those other games lack (or rather, the thing that makes the difference in those other games) which is the exact same world filled with the same enemies and characters, those events happening at exactly the same locations that look exactly the same with the same timing as in the original, that start is exactly the same to me.

But like I said, the sentiment'll probably go away once I get further along and the game starts to differentiate itself from it's predecessor.

Incubi said:
DanneSandin said:
RolStoppable said:
First impressions:

Despite being branded a new game, it feels a lot like a remake. Fight bad guys with sword, bombs and boomerang. You would think that Nintendo would take some risks and change the formula, but it's the same old, same old. Nothing new in terms of story either. Zelda is still the damsel in distress and Ganon is resurrected once again. At least the music is good, but that too feels like something from 20 years ago.

Well, we kinda knew the combat wasn't that much different... In what way would you like to change the formula? And how's the ratio between puzzles and fighting? I know you had some complaints about there being way too many puzzles, instead of fighting enemies. As far as story goes, I gotta agree with you (even before playing the game); they should shake up that! I think Skyward Sword has one of the best stories for a Zelda game thus far.

It was a jokepost, DanneSandin:p

Damn you Rol!!! Damn you!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

In other news: Jose Otero is Sushi-X

Edit: Jose Otero just messaged me and admitted to not being the real Sushi-X XD

So a little update:

After a minute to 6 hours in, I'm now at the doorstep of the third dungeon and the game finally does away a little from it's A Link to the Past roots. Maybe this'll calm down Rol a bit, but I was pleasantly surprised by Death Mountain having a completely different lay-out and the third dungeon seems to be  different altogether. So there's hope yet. I think you can do those dungeons out-of-order, but I went to the tower on Death Mountain (the dungeon in the trailers) first.

Though I still feel I know exactly what items I get where, because most remain the same. Fairy Fountains are in the same caves and the Zora Flippers are there in the same spot. There's even still a guy underneath the bridge who gives you an Empty Bottle. I'm still not sure if it was the right decision to have this game play in the exact same world as A Link to the Past, but Miyamoto was right to have it inspired by it instead of the DS-games. I know it won't matter to those that never played ALttP before and for them it's a solid overworld with many secrets, but it's still too predictable to me. I think the best parts until now are actually the small mini-dungeons which contain elaborate block-puzzles where you need clever use of the wall-merging ability, sadly I've only seen them having treasure within though. Some really made me think, so I hope there's going to be a dungeon that uses that concept heavily down the line.

I think the game is good overall, definitely worth the purchase, but as usual I think the euphoria by some reviewers is exaggerated. It's not the "best Zelda since..." and it doesn't "...do everything ALttP did but better".

Around the Network

Glad you're enjoying it, Peelman. Sorry it hasn't blown you away so far :/

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Glad you're enjoying it, Peelman. Sorry it hasn't blown you away so far :/

Well, I'm probably a bit harsh on it anyway. It's just that a Zelda game has to fill such big shoes. But, be assured, anyone that doesn't know every nook and cranny of the ALttP world will be blown away .

RolStoppable said:
S.Peelman said:

So a little update:

After a minute to 6 hours in, I'm now at the doorstep of the third dungeon and the game finally does away a little from it's A Link to the Past roots. Maybe this'll calm down Rol a bit, but I was pleasantly surprised by Death Mountain having a completely different lay-out and the third dungeon seems to be  different altogether. So there's hope yet. I think you can do those dungeons out-of-order, but I went to the tower on Death Mountain (the dungeon in the trailers) first.

Though I still feel I know exactly what items I get where, because most remain the same. Fairy Fountains are in the same caves and the Zora Flippers are there in the same spot. There's even still a guy underneath the bridge who gives you an Empty Bottle. I'm still not sure if it was the right decision to have this game play in the exact same world as A Link to the Past, but Miyamoto was right to have it inspired by it instead of the DS-games. I know it won't matter to those that never played ALttP before and for them it's a solid overworld with many secrets, but it's still too predictable to me. I think the best parts until now are actually the small mini-dungeons which contain elaborate block-puzzles where you need clever use of the wall-merging ability, sadly I've only seen them having treasure within though. Some really made me think, so I hope there's going to be a dungeon that uses that concept heavily down the line.

I think the game is good overall, definitely worth the purchase, but as usual I think the euphoria by some reviewers is exaggerated. It's not the "best Zelda since..." and it doesn't "...do everything ALttP did but better".

It sounds like you skipped what you deem the second dungeon in the game. Because, you know, that one is totally different too and it is a wind dungeon on top of that, so it uses a theme that wasn't present in ALttP at all. It's not even in the same location as in ALttP and it should be quickly apparent from the map that you have no access to the desert.

How could you even miss all of the above? Oh, I know. You are a tool.

Nonono...

I did the Mountain Tower second.

I'm at the Wind Dungeon now, which like I said I am glad is actually different.

Just finished the first dungeon. So far I'm liking it a lot, but I will give my full thoughts when I'm farther into the game.

Nintendo and PC gamer

This game is quite amazing. It's definitely better (mechanically) than any Zelda released since Majora's Mask. I just completed my first Lorule dungeon, "Dark Palace", and I've got to say that the freedom in this game is excellent. It is very much like LoZ in terms of freedom, but you have just as much, if not more freedom with item rentals and purchases. I hope they have rentals in Zelda Wii U and enable a fuller over-world with many options in terms of organization.

For reference my favorite Zelda games are ALttP = Majora's Mask , then LoZ .