By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: EoW Trailer Shows Off Still World, Swordfighter Form

Best Zelda news from the June Nintendo Direct?

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom 6 75.00%

Four Swords on NSO 0 0%

Hyrule Edition Switch Lite 2 25.00%

Total:8
Nintentacle said:

Thank god they didn't do that. Since I kept breaking a certain pot for money in Lon Lon Ranch, it would have tooken me forever to get Epona when I wasn't as good at the game!

I agree, imagine only being able to get the rupees in the guard house in Castle Town only once .

Around the Network

Check out some pieces of an Aonuma interview with Zelda Dungeon. I highlighted a few things that seemed interesting.

Mases Hagopian: Shigeru Miyamoto is the father of the Zelda series but nowadays he seems to have stepped away from the series a little bit. Can you talk about his involvement with the series and in particular with the upcoming Zelda for the Wii U.

Eiji Aonuma: So with the new Wii U Zelda that we are working on, I work really closely with the director day to day on developing it and then we meet with Mr. Miyamoto once a month and present to him kind of where we are, and kind of what are next steps are. At that time we get his feedback, his thoughts on what we should do or what we should change. Just his feelings on how things are going. That process hasn’t changed.

Mases: Two years ago you showed the tech-demo for Zelda. It had more of a Twilight Princess look and Hyrule Warriors has somewhat carried that same design. Twilight Princess though was one of the most traditional games, but it was also one of the most successful games. Does a games success, in terms of sales numbers, does that affect the type of Zelda game that you personally like to create?

Aonuma: I don’t look back. (Laughs) I always want to create something unique, and the reason for that is not just because it makes for a more fun game experience once the game is completed, but as a creator it also makes things more interesting for my team and myself. Images and expressions and all of those things, in order to make those unique, we don’t start with a plan that is set in stone from the beginning, it’s definitely an evolution. We may have a basic concept in the beginning, but as we are working through those concepts, they are going to evolve, they are going to change. So that’s how that particular tech demo that you saw early on has evolved to what you saw in the trailer.

Ben Lamoreux: We know that Zelda Wii U has been in development for some time and you’ve mentioned that you were close to showing it at a few past events but you couldn’t because you had other priorities. How long has it been in development for and what are some of the ideas and themes that formed the starting point for the games development?

Aonuma: During the digital event, I talked about how this was open world and we really wanted to provide fans of the series a new way of playing and experiencing the Zelda universe. In order for us to get it to a place where we can show something to the public, it just took a lot of time for us to develop the game because there is so much content that needed to be in place first. What you saw in the digital event wasn’t cinematic. It was actually in-game footage. So you saw, when I was sitting there with the mountains in the back. If Link gets on his horse, he can actually travel to those distant mountains.

Ben: The trailer shown off for Zelda Wii U during the Nintendo digital event was very impressive and very intriguing, especially because there seemed to be a theme of technology with the monster with the mechanical arms and the lasers, and then the high-tech arrow at the end. What can you tell us about the theme or prevalence of technology in the upcoming Zelda?

Aonuma: It’s not as though this environment is more high tech than past Zeldas. If you remember, we’ve had statues in the past that had beams that shoot out of their eyes. The hookshot is something that is actually really really high tech. We probably couldn’t even make one now if we wanted to. So I wouldn’t say this new Zelda is going to take place in the more distant-future, or even the near-future for that matter. But one thing we have to do as developers, you might be thinking ‘but then you are not rethinking the conventions of Zelda’, but I am rethinking the conventions, and as a part of that, we have to continue to have these items evolve and change their presentation and make sure that it’s still new experience.

You can find the rest here: http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2014/06/zelda-dungeon-interviews-eiji-aonuma-and-the-hyrule-warriors-team/

Eiji Aonuma says he will try not to overdue the  tutorials in future Zelda titles

Aonuma: Yes. When we created Skyward Sword, I really felt the need to make sure that everyone playing the game understood it. But I also understand now, in hindsight, that when you go out and buy a game, you buy the game because you want to play it, and you don't want to have any obstacles in the way. And I guess it was received as a bit of an obstacle. In a game, it's when you get stuck, when you want that help. And I kinda frontloaded all that in Skyward Sword, and it doesn't really help to get that information when you don't know what to do with it. So that was a real learning experience for me. So I'm going to be careful not to do that.

http://kotaku.com/zelda-boss-promises-to-stop-overdoing-tutorials-1591975741

TheKingofRedLions said:

Eiji Aonuma says he will try not to overdue the  tutorials in future Zelda titles

Aonuma: Yes. When we created Skyward Sword, I really felt the need to make sure that everyone playing the game understood it. But I also understand now, in hindsight, that when you go out and buy a game, you buy the game because you want to play it, and you don't want to have any obstacles in the way. And I guess it was received as a bit of an obstacle. In a game, it's when you get stuck, when you want that help. And I kinda frontloaded all that in Skyward Sword, and it doesn't really help to get that information when you don't know what to do with it. So that was a real learning experience for me. So I'm going to be careful not to do that.

http://kotaku.com/zelda-boss-promises-to-stop-overdoing-tutorials-1591975741

That's interesting. Aonuma has really been apologetic for Skyward Sword. Personally, I think it's unnecessary. The game is a little on the easy side, and it's too linear, but it's still an outstanding game. The motion controls are the best I've ever used, the dungeon design is excellent, the music and sound, as always, are masterful, and the pacing is good, despite the straight-forward nature of the environments.

I think he should be proud of the game.

Here's another snippet of the Kotaku interview, for all you voice acting fans (or detractors):

Schreier: You've talked a lot about shaking up the series traditions, and kinda changing things for Zelda in some big ways. For either Hyrule Warriors or future Zelda games like the one you just announced, would you ever consider giving Link voice acting and a personality?

Aonuma: Actually the voice issue is a little bit tricky. We could just make him talk, we could just give him a voice and have him speak, but does that add to how fun the game is? Does that add to the experience? It might actually just make it the same as a lot of other games. By not having him talk, it kinda lowers the hurdle for the player to really feel attached to Link, so that's something that I'm still having to think about.

Schreier: Is it something that you've ever actually experimented with, or made a prototype or anything like that?

Aonuma: (laughter) There are actually a series of videos called Nyan Nyan Mario Time, that are only in Japanese. In those videos, Link was talking, and not only was the actions and the voice a little bit strange, but it just felt strange overall.

Schreier: Why did it feel strange?

Aonuma: (laughter) Link doesn't talk yet, but if he did, he probably wouldn't sound like this. Aonuma: But you know, in the same way that I have a strong sense for the way Link should sound, I think everybody has a sense for how their Link sounds. And Tecmo Koei I think they agree with me because they opted not to make Link have a voice in Hyrule Warriors either. Schreier: Do the other characters? If I play as Zelda will she talk in the game? Aonuma: They just do the "ahhh" sound. This is actually the first Warriors game where characters don't talk.

Source: http://kotaku.com/the-big-zelda-interview-e3-2014-1592548169

Around the Network

Good news abound I see.

RolStoppable said:

The 64DD was originally planned for 1997, but took too long to finalize, so OoT was moved to cartridge. The 64DD launched in 1999, the year after OoT's release.

You are right, the N64DD was released after OoT. Then I guess it just took too long didn't want to risk the game to flop. Or something. The rest is true.

Check out this art work from DeviantART artist HeavyMetalHanzo!

He likens the Zelda teaser we saw at E3 to Princess Mononoke. 

Source: http://heavymetalhanzo.deviantart.com/art/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Wii-U-460749798

New trailer for Hyrule Warriors from Japan. Shows some new moves for Link, and also the bonuses that come with the special editions of the game in Japan. Take a look!

That artwork is awesome.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Check out Impa and Zelda kicking some serious butt: