By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 6 24.00%

A Link to the Past 10 40.00%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 3 12.00%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 16.00%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 4.00%

Other 1 4.00%

Total:25

BOTW has huge mainstream appeal that's the difference between it and prior games it has always been a series that has drawn attention but the gameplay template was distinct so unless the the game was game changing (LOZ, OOT) orpushed hard (TP) it hovered around the 4-5m mark I know it keeps getting referenced but BOTW ironically goes the GTA route (GTA3 was inspired by OOT) where you don't have to be able to do the main story to have fun only BOTW goes further with its absolute freedom. The result is a much bigger following that differs significantly from other Zelda games due to not only more people being able to enjoy the Zelda world and lore but the community opens up in ways that help the game sell for example that video from Peco earlier in the thread that turns the combat into an action game he has an entire Youtube following that tunes in just to watch him play BOTW similar to how large groups of people tune into streams to watch Minecraft and GTA.

This is him just playing the game he's not speedrunning or anything like that he's just playing the game to explore how far its customizable gameplay can go no other Zelda game really did this and it's a sign of how the fanbase has opened up to form and extended community that helps the game sell even further.

Around the Network

Check out this BotW 10" PVC statue:

Source

So, I'm currently replaying TWW HD.
Having a blast as the game is even better than I remember (and I have played that game a lot in the past).

The game shows how much influence it had on BotW: open world, some non linear parts, we had outposts (camps), subs (shrines), a lot of usage of the money, etc.
For anyone that wants to change BotW with traditional dungeons and music, better go back to Wind Waker and let the devs continue evolving the franchise.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

https://twitter.com/usapanda_G/status/1193865685538983936?s=20

A "rumor" about BOTW2 coming next year.
I still expect to come in March 2021.

BTW, people are still confused about Aonuma's interview and believes the game is going to be darker than MM. The response was that this games is going to be a little darker than the original BOTW.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Having a blast as the game is even better than I remember (and I have played that game a lot in the past).

The game shows how much influence it had on BotW: open world, some non linear parts, we had outposts (camps), subs (shrines), a lot of usage of the money, etc.
For anyone that wants to change BotW with traditional dungeons and music, better go back to Wind Waker and let the devs continue evolving the franchise.

I'm excited to replay it myself. I really fell in love with Wind Waker the first time around.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Pavolink said:

I'm excited to replay it myself. I really fell in love with Wind Waker the first time around.

It really fells like an evolution from the 64 games.

Sadly, the og was too easy for me, especially after Majora's Mask.

Really puts into perspective why BOTW has far more appeal than prior Zelda games.

Wyrdness said:

Really puts into perspective why BOTW has far more appeal than prior Zelda games.

I think this is another way that BotW is like the first Zelda game.  Miyamoto knew the first Zelda would be complex for some gamers, and so he tried to communicate it was a different kind of game just by making the player go into the first cave to get their sword.  Of course, any one who sticks with the NES game for a little while realizes they can approach the dungeons and enemies in a large variety of ways.

The main think holding back Zelda 1 sales is that it was overshadowed by Mario.  BotW is not really overshadowed by any game on the Switch.  It is the premier single player game on the Switch.  Who knows just how well it will sell?  I think it's legs are going to last for Switch's whole lifetime.

I'm not counting on anything Zelda related at the VGA.