By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Forget religious and political debate. Let's do Festivus....

I am feeling that a videogame forum is not the best place to go into religion and politics.  How about working on something that can get people to agree, and have some harmony?  I am proposing discussing Festivus, getting it going more, and making it something the videogame community could do.  It is a holiday you can make what you want, and do any time in the year.  So, anyone want to discuss Festivus and how maybe it could become something for people on VGChartz to use as an excuse to meet sometime?

Around the Network

So Festivus is basically a "Free Holiday"?

NintendoPie said:

Festivus is a made up holiday, created by the father of one of the writers or producer of Seinfeld, who was/is a sociologist.  It was meant to be a free floating holiday that ended up in an episode of Seinfeld and fans took to it.  It now serves as something you can plug in as a neutral holiday, in order to just have a reason to get together.  You can mold it into pretty much what you want, and no one really owns it.  There is a basic structure to it, that can be modified.  I would say it best for people to go and research a bit on it.  But here is Wikipedia on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

That goes into the basic form, but it is very flexible in what can be done with it.

I thought the discussion was going well in my religious thread. Good points were raised on either side. Bad/inaccurate posts were also raised on either side. You were the one who posted that you were "leaving" the thread because you have a real life.

;)

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

richardhutnik said:
NintendoPie said:

Festivus is a made up holiday, created by the father of one of the writers or producer of Seinfeld, who was/is a sociologist.  It was meant to be a free floating holiday that ended up in an episode of Seinfeld and fans took to it.  It now serves as something you can plug in as a neutral holiday, in order to just have a reason to get together.  You can mold it into pretty much what you want, and no one really owns it.  There is a basic structure to it, that can be modified.  I would say it best for people to go and research a bit on it.  But here is Wikipedia on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

That goes into the basic form, but it is very flexible in what can be done with it.

I would have never guessed that it basically came from a TV Series...

Around the Network

George and Frank Costanza for the win! Best characters ever. On theme: "Festivus for the rest of us!"

But i'm not Jewish!

Feats of Strength!