By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 install base to overtake 360 in EU on Summer of 07'

Very likely. Personally I have really high hopes regards GT5P. This title definitely will help to overtake X360 in UK. Game is extremely solid and not full priced... It will move hardware. Also Sony is very smart with only 1 sku policy - people don't treat 40 gb sku as an equivalent of Premium X360 or gimped model. MS has no chance in Europe with Elite more expensive than PS3. (actually it has no chance no matter what...)

Around the Network
Parokki said:
Pretty unlikely if you ask me. The PS3 is only outselling the 360 by 10-20k per week, and that's after 200€ or PS3 prices cuts, and only 50€ of 360 price cuts.

Isn't happening until very late this year at the earliest, and even that isn't guaranteed depending on what happens within the next few months.

Weren't you the same guy that said uncharted has no chance of selling a million copies?

"I doubt the sales of this game have as much to do with its legs as being launched right before the holidays. No chance for a million, sorry." Posted on: 12/19/07, 03:03

Having said that it should be an interesting battle in Europe this year. While I am not sure when it will happen I am certain it will surpass the 360 some time this year.

In b4 xbox supporters fuck up this thread, blurring it out with desperate atempts to keep the PS3 down in a chokehold.

Whoops, too late .

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with some of you xbox supporters, its like its hard for you face that certain possibility that the 360 may not be selling that well outside of the state. Jesus christ, grow a pair .

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

gebx said:
elendar said:
rukusa said:
elendar said:
Ahhh so thats when Sony Domination starts. Thanks

Nobody said anything about "Domination" throw that spinning shit somewhere else ;), good, thanks.

Ahh good Rukusa has it been officially put away for perhaps next generation?

QFT! 

PS3 fanboys have been laughed at so many times for claiming "PS3 domination will start XX/XX/XX" that they now cringe whenever the word "domination" is mentioned.

You got a twisted definition of "QFT".

Probably. The only thing that doesnt make sense here though is that I did not mention anything about domination d*psh*t .

Woah, that last line must be there to make yourself feel better about some possibly positive PS3 news. Be carefull dude, it could backfire, usually happens with crap like that. I dont see that xbox domination anywhere neither, are you forgetting about the Wii?

rukusa said:
In b4 xbox supporters fuck up this thread, blurring it out with desperate atempts to keep the PS3 down in a chokehold.

Whoops, too late .

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with some of you xbox supporters, its like its hard for you face that certain possibility that the 360 may not be selling that well outside of the state. Jesus christ, grow a pair .

uh, PS3 sales right now in relation to 360 sales in europe aren't any better off right now than before.  I don't see how 7k in 1 week is supposed to be this mammoth difference.  The difference WW compared to last year right now is Japan, PS3 is selling 34k right now instead of the 10-20k it sold most of the year last year. If PS3 sells 20k like it did last year then you have a different situation.  We have to wait a while longer to see where everything settles at, especially Japan where the holidays lasts the longest.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
Branko2166 said:

Weren't you the same guy that said uncharted has no chance of selling a million copies?

"I doubt the sales of this game have as much to do with its legs as being launched right before the holidays. No chance for a million, sorry." Posted on: 12/19/07, 03:03

Having said that it should be an interesting battle in Europe this year. While I am not sure when it will happen I am certain it will surpass the 360 some time this year. 

That right, I made a prediction that was wrong, and I've eaten quite a few crows for it already. To my defence, it wasn't exactly an outrageous prediction to make, considering how bad the legs of PS3  games generally are. Besides, I'm nowhere near as wrong with Uncharted as your "Wii - 33M" prediction is going to be. =P

We're both being optimistic about the console we like more here, but I think we can agree that both have a reasonable chance of being the second best selling home console in Europe this year.

johnsobas said:

uh, PS3 sales right now in relation to 360 sales in europe aren't any better off right now than before.  I don't see how 7k in 1 week is supposed to be this mammoth difference.  The difference WW compared to last year right now is Japan, PS3 is selling 34k right now instead of the 10-20k it sold most of the year last year. If PS3 sells 20k like it did last year then you have a different situation.  We have to wait a while longer to see where everything settles at, especially Japan where the holidays lasts the longest.

Yeah, the comment was just directed at those extremists that just tried to render the PS3 completely useless.

I do realize that 10.000+ in sales for the PS3 in Europe isn't exactly a huge difference. But its still a weekly difference nevertheless.

I didn't want to bring this game release crap into the thread really, but considering the PS3 releases that will be seen through the year in the European territory, Im believing the possibility exists.

Sony must be expecting a huge HW bump from GTA4/GT5/MGS. Summer does seems a bit optimistic.

GT5 proloque alone will cause the PS3 to make a small boost (30.000-50.000) in hardware in Europe. It's the first GT game with online play and tons of people around me have really been waiting for such a thing. I know it hasn't done so good in Japan, but comparing that market to Europe just can't be done.

Parokki is also the guy who reqeusts bans for people who talk about facts that don't sound good to him. He requested a ban for a guy who said that Nintendo got it's ass kicked by Playstation sales the last 2 generations. I'm aware that some fanboys might not like hearing that, but it's the facts and nothing more. I like my Wii too, but it doesn't change any fact. (that sounds a bit wrong)

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Well, ignoring sales curves and going by VG total numbers I see the following:

360 has been in 'Others' market for around 25 months (giving it 3x holidays as it launched around November 2005 right?)

PS3 has been in 'Others' market for around 10 months (giving it 1x holidays as it launched around March 2007 right?)

360 = 5.44 M
PS3 = 3.90 M

Now, ignorning timing (i.e. weekly sales and spikes) the evidence would be that PS3 has sold 72% (roughly) of current 360 LTD in 'Others' with approx 40% of time in market as 360 and with only 1 holiday season vs 3 for 360.

So yes, unless MS turn around sales for 360 in 'Others' PS3 will absolutely catch it - the question is when.

Now simply extrapolating forward from current average difference in 'Others' is useless as the consoles see holiday spikes, spikes for price changes, spikes for big games, etc.

If I had patience (actually time) I'd look at time series curves, then factor in major releases for both, etc. but I suspect that unless anything major happens PS3 will catch 360 by end of 2008 for sure (inclusive of holiday spike) but perhaps earlier if games such as MGS and GTA IV drive big spikes.

Of course 360 could lower price, GTA IV is on 360 as well, etc. so of course MS could prevent PS3 overtaking it in 'Others' this year but I think it will need to drive some serious effort behind it as the base data clearly shows that PS3 is in a position to catch 360 based on LTD sales and time to reach them so far vs 360.

Or did I miss something with my numbers?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...