By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to discontinue 80 GB ps3 according to Best Buy?

ChronotriggerJM said:
Theres no way in hell Sony would cut PS2 software out of the loop. 

What do u think they did in Europe? Its stupid, yes, i know, but this is Sony we are talking about and they havent really been on form in the past year or so...

Personally, i think it is a very distinct possibility that they will cut out BC altogether, even though the move is incredibly stupid on Sonys behalf, 

Around the Network

The thing is. Although BC is very important for a vast majority of users and potential users of the PS3 at the moment. Once the system has been out for a couple of years and the list of great games grows, then wanting to play PS2 games on your PS3 will be a thought of the past.

Yes, people will want to play classic games in a year or two, but generally speaking when you want to do that now, you just pull out your old system and plug it in and play.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

If this is true, it would be very confusing to the customer to have all these skus come and go. If the 80gb model is discontinued, wouldn't that only leave the 40gb without the backwards compatibility? Seems like another incredibly bad decision by Sony.

maybe Sony's programmers are coming up with a software emulator for PS2 games. They are hiring programmers to do that.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

the only ps3 type available here, in every single shop is the 40gb one, so i think they won't keep up the 80gb, not sure about the 60gb.... i'm from europe

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Around the Network

Sony since the launch of the PS3 wanted pure software emulation of PS2 games so if this article is true, then I have a feeling that Sony is getting ready to release an update with software BC that will allow all 40GB PS3 to play PS2 games, now that would be one awesome update.

Okay, lets look at the basic figures:

PS2 has sold 100+ million worldwide, and is still selling, at roughly $100

PS2 has possibly one of the largest libraries of games available = SOFTWARE EMULATION JUST AIN'T GONNA HACK IT

PS3 40GB - $399

PS3 80GB - $499

PS2 + PS3 40GB = PS3 80GB

All Sony really has to do is allow support for USB drives and the PS3 80GB model becomes pointless.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:
Okay, lets look at the basic figures:

PS2 has sold 100+ million worldwide, and is still selling, at roughly $100

PS2 has possibly one of the largest libraries of games available = SOFTWARE EMULATION JUST AIN'T GONNA HACK IT

PS3 40GB - $399

PS3 80GB - $499

PS2 + PS3 40GB = PS3 80GB

All Sony really has to do is allow support for USB drives and the PS3 80GB model becomes pointless.

Why not?

The 60gb PS3 in Europe used software emulation... not the emotion chip... And they scraped the 60gb PS3 now. All we ahve is a 40gb PS3 with no BC. Why would they get rid of BC then bring it back again?
It wouldnt surprise me if in America sony mimicked what ti did over here...

tk1989 said:
The 60gb PS3 in Europe used software emulation... not the emotion chip... And they scraped the 60gb PS3 now. All we ahve is a 40gb PS3 with no BC. Why would they get rid of BC then bring it back again?
It wouldnt surprise me if in America sony mimicked what ti did over here...

the 60GB wasn't pure software emulation it still had the GS chip on the PS3 motherboard, so removing all physical PS2 hardware and then introducing it via a firmware update for pure software emultion would be a smart idea save money, and why wouldn't they introduce it back, it would be just another bonus to owning a PS3 especially to those that got the 40GB version.