By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray movies freezing up my PS3!

Hi, guys! About 4 months ago I was watching a blu-ray movie on my PS3 when it froze up my system, it needed a hard shutdown (holding the power button in for about 20 seconds) at that time my PS3 slim had never frozen up while watching a Blu-ray so I thought nothing of it. Then around a month ago it happend again, twice during the same movie. Since, I've watched 4 Blu-rays, two have froze up, the most recent being about 2hrs ago. This is starting to worry me. I've been researching the problem, and most theories lead to the Blu-ray laser being the problem, yet I don't think it is as this only happens during Blu-ray movies, not games, which I have no problem with.

The problem seems to be inconsistent, for example, I've been watching the first season of Rome, and I haven't had a single freeze. Yet I watched Demolition Man tonight and it froze up, I watched Dreed 3D last week and it played perfectly fine, last weekend I watched Just Go With it and again it froze my whole system up.

Have any of you had this kind of problem before? Any suggestions as to what might solve this problem?

Around the Network

Its pretty obvious the ps3 is protecting you from watching crap..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:

Demolition Man is not crap.

TrevDaRev said:
NiKKoM said:

Just Go With it is!

NiKKoM said:

lol +1

Around the Network

Anyway.. Do dvds work? Maybe there is something wrong with your blu ray folder ( cant remember where it is but its there, it saves resume positions etc) on the ps3?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

riderz13371 said:
TrevDaRev said:
NiKKoM said:

Just Go With it is!

The rendition of 'Every Breath You Take' near the end was heavenly, though. Plus, Breasty McBigBreasts was in it.

That is a problem i had with my PS2 and DvD's.

I think this is how it goes. Game discs are certain manufacturer and the data is spread is different ways. For the most part games are fine and are the last thing to fail. You can see if it gets worse as your driver seems to start making more noise trying to fetch the data and failing a few times.
Movie discs, aswell as other discs are from several different manufacturers. The laser on your system will try to adjust to these new discs, but this comes at a price, as it will just de-adjust it further in time, the more different discs you use.

Eventually freeze ups come on games and eventually the system dies and cant read anything anymore without heavy strain and needs repairing. Unfortunely you cant send it to repair until the thing actually completely breaks.

That was the reason why i walked away from Sony after the PS2. It didnt leave me happy one bit. I thought they had worked their products out, but between you and what i see in a friends system, its depressing to see it still happens. That annoying slow death of the laser annoys me to no end.

I am planning on getting a PS3 and its gonna be a slim... but now im wondering if i should go for the super-slim...

NiKKoM said:
Anyway.. Do dvds work? Maybe there is something wrong with your blu ray folder ( cant remember where it is but its there, it saves resume positions etc) on the ps3?

Yeah, DVDs work fine. No problem with Blu-ray games aswell, just Blu-ray movies. Yes, I saw some people mention the Blu-ray folder. And, I just deleted the 'Shared Cached Data' portion of the Blu-ray folder, it had some weirdly named stuff in there.

Maybe the disc is scratched??