By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Seal of Quality!

nordlead said:
I actually think they should use a two seal system.

Games that pass the Official quality test get the "Official Nintendo Seal of Quality", while games that don't only get the "Official Nintendo Seal". If implemented properly this could drive developers to work harder to get that "optional" better seal. This would reduce the sheer number of crap, but not prevent anyone from making a crappy game if they so desire. Also, it would let consumers know which games have been quality tested by nintendo.

I agree, that surely will boost sales on those games with both seals.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Around the Network

Ahh, i remember the seal of quality! I didnt know until now that it had any significance really :P Just thought that it was just a random stamp to show that the game had been officially lisenced, i didnt know that the game had to be tested by nintendo and that there were restrictions!

Even today with the massive development and marketing budgets of most games, there is a reasonable chance that a tiny developer can produce a high-quality game that will resonate with the gaming public ...

One of the reasons why the Playstation and PS2 were so dominant is that a large portion of the third party (often licenced) shovelware sells to a reasonable level and attracts people towards the system. Most "core" gamers will avoid games like Pimp My Ride: The Gameizzle, but many people will see a wall of these crapware games and because they're familiar with all of the licenced properties they will think the library is very good; I knew a few parrents who choose an PS2 over a Gamecube for their children because it had more of the (awful) licenced Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks animated movie games.

tk1989 said:
Ahh, i remember the seal of quality! I didnt know until now that it had any significance really :P Just thought that it was just a random stamp to show that the game had been officially lisenced, i didnt know that the game had to be tested by nintendo and that there were restrictions!
Is there any explicit, official explanation that isn't what it is?

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Nintendo was awful during that period. I hope to never see a console manufacturer as arrogant and belligerent as Nintendo was during the 80s, early 90s. Sony's amazing rise was I think almost exclusively because they had better relations with developers and publishers. Every major developer for Nintendo bolted as soon as they could.

If Wii's success leads us back to that era, gamers lose. On a more positive note, I think they learned their lesson. By all accounts, they are much easier to work with now.

Around the Network
johntonsoup said:
Nintendo was awful during that period. I hope to never see a console manufacturer as arrogant and belligerent as Nintendo was during the 80s, early 90s. Sony's amazing rise was I think almost exclusively because they had better relations with developers and publishers. Every major developer for Nintendo bolted as soon as they could.

If Wii's success leads us back to that era, gamers lose. On a more positive note, I think they learned their lesson. By all accounts, they are much easier to work with now.

Yes and no ...

Nintendo created a set of rules in order to prevent the same conditions that produced the videogame crash of the mid 1980's from ever happening again. If publishers were given free reign (at that time) to produce as much as they wanted to, all that would happen is they would flood the market with buggly third rate low quality clones of popular games.

In the 1990's Nintendo faced a new problem in that parents were starting to worry about the type of content their children were being exposed to, and they tried to protect themself by limiting how violent content was produced for their system; at the same time Nintendo was one of the main companies producing the ESRB and when they were up and running Nintendo eased their restrictions and made an ESRB rating a condition of being licenced by Nintendo.

In otherwords, a lot of what people hate about Nintendo in the 80s and 90s was a necessary reaction to the time; Nintendo's "dink like" behavior basically ensured their survival and the survival of the industry.

HappySqurriel said:
johntonsoup said:

Yes and no ...

Nintendo created a set of rules in order to prevent the same conditions that produced the videogame crash of the mid 1980's from ever happening again. If publishers were given free reign (at that time) to produce as much as they wanted to, all that would happen is they would flood the market with buggly third rate low quality clones of popular games.

In the 1990's Nintendo faced a new problem in that parents were starting to worry about the type of content their children were being exposed to, and they tried to protect themself by limiting how violent content was produced for their system; at the same time Nintendo was one of the main companies producing the ESRB and when they were up and running Nintendo eased their restrictions and made an ESRB rating a condition of being licenced by Nintendo.

In otherwords, a lot of what people hate about Nintendo in the 80s and 90s was a necessary reaction to the time; Nintendo's "dink like" behavior basically ensured their survival and the survival of the industry.

Lots of good points in that. I disagree with the content part of your post, since it is usually alleged that Nintendo stoked the flames of content monitoring against Sega.

At some point however, they lost touch. I'm just pointing out that at that time, gamers lost innovation and had to deal with censorship etc. I think we are better off because they were shown the hard way that they cannot rule their 3rd party developers with an iron fist. 

blaydcor said:
tk1989 said:
Is there any explicit, official explanation that isn't what it is?

Eh?

Anyways, ive just noticed that the Seal of Quality is still on games released in the UK... lol. Obviously it doesnt really have any significance anymore, but its till there on the back of the case :P 

I think they should stick to the Nintendo Seal until they get the trust of Third parties back, then after that have a light touch, kill off games like Chicken Shoot and the shovelware people slap together, other then that keep a hands off cause that pleases third parties and what pleases them can please customers.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Who cares if the Wii gets bad games, just don't buy them.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089