By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Non-Used games policy in the future - will it lead to more Demos? (Discussion Thread)

Tagged games:

i could be wrong, but ms is good about requiring demos for live games (no used sales their) and i think it helps. But I see no way for a no used game policy to work. It is sure to violate European and US law, and would surely be hacked to play used games.

Around the Network

If used games are banned no one will buy any game apart from the main big games

nope i pretty sure most publishers rather no longer have demo's since all they care about is having your wallet

i hope so, they need to give us something if they banned used games (it's wrong that they would try!)

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Well im all for more demos...

But im also all for used games. Some games i simply will not fork out full retail price for. It will be a big mistake if they do away with used game sales somehow.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

The reason I'm so for used games is simply because I'm a retro gamer. I'll regularly pick up stuff that I missed in the fifth & sixth gen when I get an urge to play them and this kind of thing just wouldn't be possible if - for example - I'm gaming in the ninth gen and all eighth gen used games don't work and are no longer in production.

With that said, it was only about a year ago that I truly realised why buying new is so important. If I'm buying a new game in a franchise I love - or from a developer/publisher I love, I positively want to buy it new so I can show my support for them. But, some new games just aren't worth the price they're charged at - PSABR, as much as I love it, was not a £40 game. I picked it up for £25 and was much happier.

Ugh. I've got quite a few thoughts on this and I'm having trouble putting them into words at the minute. Basically:

- New demos - should always be encouraged.
- Used games - I like them, but I'd still be interested to hear if there was a more "fair" way of curtailing them prominence somewhat. I think online passes work okay for the most part.
- Videogame pricing - this is the issue that really needs to be looked at properly more than anything else, in my opinion. With so many studios being shut down lately for failing to turn profits, even when games sell like 1.5 million+ copies, then there's something wrong. All that stuff about prices not going up despite development costs increasing exponentially is a big part of it, and the fact that there seem to be hardly any mid-tier games anymore is worrying. Everything is either indie or AAA. But the middle was fucking good. And there needs to be a certain development level where games can be priced reasonably but not £45 to reflect the fact that they cost less than an AAA title. And I'm just not really seeing this being adopted at all.

But yeah. Enjoy the bump!

I don't see the connection between used game blocking and demos. Care to explain? What the availability of used game has to do with demos is beyond me.

I think taking away used games will lead to a massive amount of hackers trying to crack the system (even more than there would be anyway) and as a result a massive spike in piracy once the system is open.