By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo made $1.2 billion profit in 3 months

Starcraft, there is more to the market than just Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. You're ignoring the third party developers which would be in the REd if not for the Wii. The market is not happy.

And the Wii has 5 third party million sellers btw, which this modest number is due largely to the support the Wii has recieved, not the graphics of its games.

For all the million sellers on the 360/PS3, its arguable how many actually have turned a legitimate profit. Games selling on the 360/PS3 does not mean a serious profit for the third party developer, at least not one worth justifying such a costly and risky endeavor.

To you I could equally just easily say you're ignoring the sheer amount of Wii's people are buying over the 360/PS3 even while the Wii is still supply capped. Again, you're trying to say there is no problem by saying the symptoms aren't the problem. That's not sound reasoning. You like so many others just can't see the bigger picture in your assumption game sales are everything.

Around the Network
Duke Of Darkness said:
Have they used any of the money they have made at all?

If you bought Nintendo shares, you'd be getting part of that money. Ever heard of dividends?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Starcraft, there is more to the market than just Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. You're ignoring the third party developers which would be in the REd if not for the Wii. The market is not happy.

And the Wii has 5 third party million sellers btw, which this modest number is due largely to the support the Wii has recieved, not the graphics of its games.

For all the million sellers on the 360/PS3, its arguable how many actually have turned a legitimate profit. Games selling on the 360/PS3 does not mean a serious profit for the third party developer, at least not one worth justifying such a costly and risky endeavor.

To you I could equally just easily say you're ignoring the sheer amount of Wii's people are buying over the 360/PS3 even while the Wii is still supply capped. Again, you're trying to say there is no problem by saying the symptoms aren't a problem. That's not sound reasoning. You like so many others just can't see the bigger picture in your assumption game sales are everything.

By all means, point out any third party developers which would presently be "in the red" if it weren't for the Wii.  By most estimates an Xbox 360 developer needs to sell 350,000 to 500,000 units to make a profit on a game, so I'd say the nearly 30 third-party million sellers on the Xbox 360 alone are keeping an awful lot of developer's happy wouldn't you?

Again, which developer's other than Nintendo are making a "serious profit" off the Wii that they are not making off the 360?

In one post you told me that the Wii is keeping game developers out of the red, without giving an example, before going on to tell me that game sales arn't everything.  Exactly where do you think third-party revenue comes from.  It's high time you adopted some "sound reasoning" GGE.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I might add GGE, that Xbox live has been providing an avenue for small independent developers to gain a foothold in the market for two years, and user-generated content will take this even further. The Wii on the other hand, has no set-in-stone date for the the launching of it's equivalent WiiWare!

Unless Nintendo starts to expand their horizons though, these profits they are making are probably their peaks. As there isn't really much higher they can get in their current situation. They need to start expanding their game development by buying more developers. Which means we could get more first party games haha.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Nintendo bought a small but still sizeable Japanese developer. Such as maybe Tecmo, seeing as their close relationship lately. This is what NIntendo needs to do if they want to continue to expand their profits.

Around the Network

The real question then Starcraft is not how many games are million sellers on the 360/PS3, but how many aren't. The Wii doesn't need 100k to turn a profit for most of its games.

Again, you're just dodging facts in favor of thinking everything is fine. The fact of the matter is, things aren't fine. Starcraft, its high time you starded adopting some sound logic instead of just insisting Gamesales for a handful of games means all third party games are doing equally as well. For every game that turns a modest profit, how many don't? And are the ones that do enough to offset the ones that don't.

Face it Starcraft, the market is not well and the 360/PS3 are the prime cause. You're only kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

P.S. Try using the Edit button next time

Nintendo definitely should NOT do anything thats going to make third-parties think they have even less chance of competing with first-party titles.

starcraft said:
Basically, I applaud the Wii's innovation, and I think the motion control is something that will be hardwired into the next generation of gaming. I also think it's widened the market which can only be a good thing. But at the same time, I will be very sad the day console manufacturers give up on pushing technological boundaries in terms of computing power that can enhance scale, AI, beauty and frame rates.

No non no. If pushing the power of a console and graphics to the point it gets released in the market for over $300 i do not want a part of it. We should not have to pay such a heavy price for entertainment its not fair, lif is hard enough. I am not saying power should not be increase thats just silly, but it should be increase with the consumer in mind. every gen we have seen the consoles increase power by 2-4 times that last gen, thwe only console in this gen that falls in the catogory is the Wii. 

reason Developers call the Wii GC 1.5

1. Bitter the consoles they have been banking on, are not as succesfull as they hoped, and thats hitting them in the ban

2. They are comparing the Wii to the HD systems powerwise. (ain the 360 10 times more powerfull then the Xbox, or the PS3 30 x more powerfull than the PS2?)

3. A lot of developers don't know how to utilise the Wii architecture, due to the previous gen where PS2 was dominant and the Xbox could run PC code (direct X).

Thats not to say that i don't want a PS3 or 360, but they are too expensive for me right now. As a consumer i did not buy the Wii because it was cheap, i bought it because its feature appealed to me, and the fact it came at an affordable price was very beneficial. Thats what a lot of Hardcore gamers don't get, they think it sells only because its cheap, and that why the fail to understand why it sells a lot more than the cheaper alternative that is the PS2. 

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

@ GGE

So what you are saying is that developers should be resigned to the fact that they cannot make a profit, but be content to barely stay afloat by existing only on the Wii? No More Heroes, a VERY high quality game just debuted with 40,000 on the Wii. It will not turn a profit. The most comparable game on the 360, Crackdown, is a million seller.

How many developer's have to complain that they cannot profit off the Wii before people like you take notice? I purchased a Wii for ONE reason. Nintendo's first-party franchises.

You can keep accusing everyone of having no logic, you can keep accusing everyone of dodging facts, but at the end of the day you do not have a coherent argument based in anything remotely resembling reality. Businesses do not exist to survive (in any case many could not if their development was confined to the Wii), they exist to make money.

starcraft said:
@ GGE

So what you are saying is that developers should be resigned to the fact that they cannot make a profit, but be content to barely stay afloat by existing only on the Wii? No More Heroes, a VERY high quality game just debuted with 40,000 on the Wii. It will not turn a profit. The most comparable game on the 360, Crackdown, is a million seller.

How many developer's have to complain that they cannot profit off the Wii before people like you take notice? I purchased a Wii for ONE reason. Nintendo's first-party franchises.

You can keep accusing everyone of having no logic, you can keep accusing everyone of dodging facts, but at the end of the day you do not have a coherent argument based in anything remotely resembling reality. Businesses do not exist to survive (in any case many could not if their development was confined to the Wii), they exist to make money.

If your only defense is trying to play down the Wii's profitability then this is an argument you've already lost. What did Mario and Sonic Olympics debut at? And where is its sales now? Developers like Capcom and Sega are reporting record profits due to the Wii, that hardly sounds like just barely staying afloat to me. Any third party developer that is suffering on the Wii is one who has not put a serious effort into it yet, i.e. EA.

Since you are continuously dodging my points in favor of ones you think you can catch me on, you are the one dodgin the points. What happened to your claim that MS/Sony were turning a profit after I put it in its place? What happened to your claim developers were making money on the 360/PS3 when in this reply you assert, "okay so they aren't."

Face it, you don't have a solid argument to support your claims. If this is what it must come to then perhaps we should consider agreeing to dissagree as I don't see you recognizing HD graphics aren't the best medicine for the market as it stands nor I accepting your excuses things are just fine.