By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [EurogamerDF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation

disolitude said:
VGKing said:
Why do people keep saying next Xbox will be more powerful than Playstation? From what I understand, NextBox is more focused on Apps/multitasking...etc while PS4 is made primarily for gaming. PS4 would have an edge in most games, but the real deciding factor is the ram. 8gig DDR3 for Xbox and 4gigGDDR5 for PS4.

Objection your Honor! The reply above calls for pure speculation!

Fixed!!!

Around the Network
disolitude said:
VGKing said:
Why do people keep saying next Xbox will be more powerful than Playstation? From what I understand, NextBox is more focused on Apps/multitasking...etc while PS4 is made primarily for gaming. PS4 would have an edge in most games, but the real deciding factor is the ram. 8gig DDR3 for Xbox and 4gigGDDR5 for PS4.

This is all in the article....in terms of gaming, the PS4 has the edge. In terms of software, such as apps, and OS the next XBox will probably blow the PS4 away.

and if recent rumours about sony leaving behind the dual shock, and instead using a controller with an lcd touch screen are to become true, that will increase the manufacturing cost a bit

VGKing said:
disolitude said:
VGKing said:

This is all in the article....in terms of gaming, the PS4 has the edge. In terms of software, such as apps, and OS the next XBox will probably blow the PS4 away.

Oh, I see.  Sorry didn't realize we are still looking at this bogus article.

Seriously though...this memory thing is what gives this article away as being fake because it makes no sense. Can we pretend that microsoft is at least use dual channel DDR3 for their unified memory? That way they don't look like complete noobs...

Why do I get the feeling that when it all comes down to it, the media will spin this as 720 8gb of ram and PS4 4 GB therefore buy the xbox cause it's 2 times better. lol

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:
Why do I get the feeling that when it all comes down to it, the media will spin this as 720 8gb of ram and PS4 4 GB therefore buy the xbox cause it's 2 times better. lol

I don't see why you think this. Last time a major console with most RAM won the generation was Super Nintendo. So more RAM is not a good thing if we look at trends.

disolitude said:
Blood_Tears said:

I don't see why you think this. Last time a major console with most RAM won the generation was Super Nintendo. So more RAM is not a good thing if we look at trends.

With respect to previous trends then sure. Maybe "media" was the wrong choice of wording on my part. But I can definately see "blog" articles on n4g saying something similiar to my above post.  That's the only thing I hated about this gen, loved the games, loved the consoles, hated the "journalism".

Nsanity said:
D-Joe said:
Nsanity said:
D-Joe said:
ethomaz said:
D-Joe said:

Funny that medias keep guessing wrong about 720's RAM type

Why?

Both will have GDDR5

Where did you hear that?

AMD China

They actually said that?

GPU part desginer of the team,yeah

I don't know. If next Gen lasts 10 years then I can honestly see how in the long run, 8 gigs of slower RAM is going to prevail against 4 gigs of faster RAM. Also, while I'm not sure I believe the Durangos 3 gigs reserved for the OS, but when compared to the alleged 512MB reserved for the Orbis OS, it sends a message that Microsoft wants to make the Durango a multitasking & multimedia powerhouse. I'm also interested to see what's the Durango's "secret sauce" as this article admits they really don't know much about.

Truth is we no longer live in a world where a purely gaming console might not cut it for the masses. We might see a situation where the PS4 finally gets cross game chat, buy the 720 goes ahead with cross game video chat while simultaneously recording your favorite tv show in the background and fast app switching. (just my speculation based on how much RAM and how much RAM is reserved for respective OS's).

MaulerX said:
I don't know. If next Gen lasts 10 years then I can honestly see how in the long run, 8 gigs of slower RAM is going to prevail against 4 gigs of faster RAM. Also, while I'm not sure I believe the Durangos 3 gigs reserved for the OS, but when compared to the alleged 512MB reserved for the Orbis OS, it sends a message that Microsoft wants to make the Durango a multitasking & multimedia powerhouse. I'm also interested to see what's the Durango's "secret sauce" as this article admits they really don't know much about.

Truth is we no longer live in a world where a purely gaming console might not cut it for the masses. We might see a situation where the PS4 finally gets cross game chat, buy the 720 goes ahead with cross game video chat while simultaneously recording your favorite tv show in the background and fast app switching. (just my speculation based on how much RAM and how much RAM is reserved for respective OS's).

DF just precition,do think too much after you read the article.