By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The winner for hardware revenue in December is.....Sony

DKII said:
Gazz - when it's already known that Sony loses money on each PS3 sold (which they've said they will be until the next financial year), then the higher revenue (which indicates higher sales) actually means higher losses, not a greater chance at profit.

I don't for the life of me see why everyone keeps mistaking this statement, they said they plan to break even by 2009, they never said that was at price points $399 and $499. Did it ever occur to you that they might have already factored in another $100 cut? Maybe 50? We've already heard reports that theyre a few dollars off of breaking even on the 40 gig, what makes you think they coulden't be well past that in a year?

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

*Attempts to stab thread*

Die thread die.

No, I'm not speaking German.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

ChronotriggerJM said:
DKII said:
Gazz - when it's already known that Sony loses money on each PS3 sold (which they've said they will be until the next financial year), then the higher revenue (which indicates higher sales) actually means higher losses, not a greater chance at profit.

I don't for the life of me see why everyone keeps mistaking this statement, they said they plan to break even by 2009, they never said that was at price points $399 and $499. Did it ever occur to you that they might have already factored in another $100 cut? Maybe 50? We've already heard reports that theyre a few dollars off of breaking even on the 40 gig, what makes you think they coulden't be well past that in a year?

Because Sony has a bad track record for making realistic projections.

ChronotriggerJM said:
DKII said:

Actually go back and read it.  They didn't exactly say they plan to break even by then.  They are just hoping for it but Kaz did say it wasn't a "definite commitment".  If he's not even sure why are you?

Thats the whole point though, if reports are already saying they're about to break even, that goal makes no sense. I have a feeling a price cut was already planned by Sony, and THATS the "break even" goal they're trying for. So when people say that Sony will have a price cut, people lash out that it's not possible because of they're PR meeting, which said nothing about prices $399 and $499.

Around the Network

You're talking about the same people who say that 11m sales for the fiscal year is still possible.

FishyJoe said:
You're talking about the same people who say that 11m sales for the fiscal year is still possible.

With a $299 PS3, would you say it's not? :P

There is not room on this site for more than one CrazzyMan.

I was just looking up articles on Sony's announcement on their Holiday Fiscals because of this thread. And I found this Amuzing:

Sony Computer Entertainment America CEO Jack Tretton seemed keen to maintain the connection between the PS3 and the Blu-ray format when he stated, "The strong PS3 sales also further establish Blu-ray's dominant position as the high-definition medium of choice for games and movies."

And then the person who wrote the article followed up with this:

Of course, we should add that Blu-ray is the only "high-definition medium" on which games are currently offered as both the Xbox 360 and Wii platforms utilize standard DVDs to provide their content.

I just found it amuzing, hehe. "We sell more HD Game Disks than anyone! (Nevermind we are the only ones that sell HD Game disks)"

On Topic: Good for Sony on high revenue at least. I am more glad that the gaming industry as a whole has such good revenue. I am glad that the industry of my main hobby is going strong.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

ChronotriggerJM said:
FishyJoe said:

With a $299 PS3, would you say it's not? :P

that would kill htem right now b/c they still have so many unts sitting out there

the only way they would be able to do that is with the new verions they make that have the smaller specs and the cheaper price tag (400).....but what about the older ones still on shelves that costed more (800)