By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Call your Congressman tomorrow as Obama is giving his speech!

fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:

self defense: multiple attackers. an attacker not going down on the first shot. you missing a shot. warning shot.

sporting use: practice, plinking, competition shooting.

there are numerous examples of people needing mulitple shots and or AR-15 type weapon to defend themselves. heres just a few, the koreans defending their shops with AR-15 during the LA riots, a police officers son defending himself and little sitter by shooting an intruder with his dads AR-15 while his dad was away. Now a very recent example is the Georgia woman I spoke of you shot just one intruder 5 times, with her 5 shot revolver. and the guy still survived and got away (latter captured by the police). no what if she had missed, what if there were 2 or more intruders. it took her all 5 shots with her gun to stop one guy. i know i certainly wouldnt want to be limited to 7 or so shots to defend myself and my family.

None of those REQUIRE fast shooting weapons. I said the NEED to shoot so many rounds per second..

So why would you abide by the supreme court law to ban nukes, but would not allow a similar ban from them on semi-automatics? 

yes,  they most certainly do.

anyway, how do you slow the rate of fire of something more than just one bullet per trigger pull, outside of restricting things to muzzle loaders or something. all semi-autos fire at the same rate. lever guns are a little slower, so are bolt action guns. but most people defend themselfs with pistols. what slower alternative is there for that. 

i dont know if i agree with the supreme court on bannings weapons such as nukes. I personally feel that if the government has it so should the people. but i can respect, and understand the merit behind their argument of what the second amendment means.

they have essentially ruled that the 2nd only protects weapons that are man portable.  here is what antonin scalia has said on the matter: "Obviously the amendment does not apply to arms that cannot be hand-carried—it’s to keep and “bear”, so it doesn’t apply to cannons"

now i disagree with that interpatation, as there were many privately owned cannons at the time the 2A was written. but at least he tries to back his claim with the constitution. Now banning small arms, especially semi-auto small arms, would definitely not pass constitutional muster.

n

Around the Network
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:

self defense: multiple attackers. an attacker not going down on the first shot. you missing a shot. warning shot.

sporting use: practice, plinking, competition shooting.

there are numerous examples of people needing mulitple shots and or AR-15 type weapon to defend themselves. heres just a few, the koreans defending their shops with AR-15 during the LA riots, a police officers son defending himself and little sitter by shooting an intruder with his dads AR-15 while his dad was away. Now a very recent example is the Georgia woman I spoke of you shot just one intruder 5 times, with her 5 shot revolver. and the guy still survived and got away (latter captured by the police). no what if she had missed, what if there were 2 or more intruders. it took her all 5 shots with her gun to stop one guy. i know i certainly wouldnt want to be limited to 7 or so shots to defend myself and my family.

None of those REQUIRE fast shooting weapons. I said the NEED to shoot so many rounds per second..

So why would you abide by the supreme court law to ban nukes, but would not allow a similar ban from them on semi-automatics? 

yes,  they most certainly do.

anyway, how do you slow the rate of fire of something more than just one bullet per trigger pull, outside of restricting things to muzzle loaders or something. all semi-autos fire at the same rate. lever guns are a little slower, so are bolt action guns. but most people defend themselfs with pistols. what slower alternative is there for that. 

i dont know if i agree with the supreme court on bannings weapons such as nukes. I personally feel that if the government has it so should the people. but i can respect, and understand the merit behind their argument of what the second amendment means.

they have essentially ruled that the 2nd only protects weapons that are man portable.  here is what antonin scalia has said on the matter: "Obviously the amendment does not apply to arms that cannot be hand-carried—it’s to keep and “bear”, so it doesn’t apply to cannons"

now i disagree with that interpatation, as there were many privately owned cannons at the time the 2A was written. but at least he tries to back his claim with the constitution. Now banning small arms, especially semi-auto small arms, would definitely not pass constitutional muster.

n

Well that was my entire point of this..

Why are people complaining against "the government trying to get control over people" when that's already been the case? Given the laws as they are now, NO opposition to government would stand a bull's roar of a chance, anyway. So why is the argument of "defense from a tyrannical government" used? If that were the case, they SHOULD be arguing for thermonuclear devices...

fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:

Why are people complaining against "the government trying to get control over people" when that's already been the case? Given the laws as they are now, NO opposition to government would stand a bull's roar of a chance, anyway. So why is the argument of "defense from a tyrannical government" used? If that were the case, they SHOULD be arguing for thermonuclear devices...

some sand people called the taliban and al queda would disagree with you. and they arent nearly as well armed as the US citizeny, not to mention I, as well as many other constitution supporters believe that many in the Military would infact side with the citizenry, or at least refuse to fight them.

Arguing for keeping are current weapons is hard enough, to expand it and ask for the right to nukes is simply not feasable. we (constitution supporters) cant be demanding cruise missiles and nukes, when we can barely fight to keep our handguns and rifles. though there are many that do argue for such weapons . Once we can secure our current right, and ensure they are safe from the statist, then im sure there will be a much larger pressence of people fighting for owning full auto-rifles again. if we get that, then things like grenades, etc

I think US should spread their constitution to the world and encourage everyone to have WMD. /sarcasm

killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:
fordy said:
killerzX said:

some sand people called the taliban and al queda would disagree with you. and they arent nearly as well armed as the US citizeny, not to mention I, as well as many other constitution supporters believe that many in the Military would infact side with the citizenry, or at least refuse to fight them.

Arguing for keeping are current weapons is hard enough, to expand it and ask for the right to nukes is simply not feasable. we (constitution supporters) cant be demanding cruise missiles and nukes, when we can barely fight to keep our handguns and rifles. though there are many that do argue for such weapons . Once we can secure our current right, and ensure they are safe from the statist, then im sure there will be a much larger pressence of people fighting for owning full auto-rifles again. if we get that, then things like grenades, etc

There's more of a chance in the middle east because it isn't exactly home base. If a worthy fight broke out in the US, you can be assured that 1. There would be quite a few more defense forces at home, and 2. In the event of possible malitia overthrow, the government would throw everything they had at them. This includes aircraft carriers situated across the globe. Even if it took the entire duration of the conflict to get it back home, their thought would be to "hold out until then". 

It's not always as simple as "military siding with citizenry", because citizenry can generally be very divided in the matter. Then you sometimes have other issues, like in Egypt, Moubarak only lost control when he lost the military, but before that, they were happily being paid to do such a job of acting against the people. Hell if the Military refused to fight the citizenry, would the participants in the civil war have even shot one bullet?

Around the Network

hmmmm...the right wing media must be really doing its job....

exactly where is all this fear coming from? In no way possible is Obama going to wake you guns! there's a limit to what a president can do via executive action; notice the main points beyond his 23 executive like banning assault weapons(and spare me on the definition) and universal back round checks REQUIRE both Congress and Senate to pass it.

all this talk about "tyrannical government" "imperialist president" and civil war is absolutely ridiculous; dozens of presidents have used some type of Executive actions and where were the screams for impeachment there?(and no way in hell will that work anyway since he isn't stepping on any constitutional rights or violating any laws of being president) Even if the Assault Weapons/high capacity ammo cartridges were to go into effect your existing firearms won't vanish in the night, you'd still able to buy certain firearms; stealth helicopters and seal team 6 won't drop from the sky and take your guns.(if you actually fear this so much why are you even living here?)

people tout "the right to bear arms"(which I have no problem against) yet never tell the whole amendment which states; "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" I find it hard to believe that the sale of firearms has been well-regulated when nearly 40% of all gun transactions require no backround checks.

have any people actually checked the 23 executive orders? if not here:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Exactly where is your 2nd amendment being stomped on?

arcane_chaos said:
hmmmm...the right wing media must be really doing its job....

exactly where is all this fear coming from? In no way possible is Obama going to wake you guns! there's a limit to what a president can do via executive action; notice the main points beyond his 23 executive like banning assault weapons(and spare me on the definition) and universal back round checks REQUIRE both Congress and Senate to pass it.

all this talk about "tyrannical government" "imperialist president" and civil war is absolutely ridiculous; dozens of presidents have used some type of Executive actions and where were the screams for impeachment there?(and no way in hell will that work anyway since he isn't stepping on any constitutional rights or violating any laws of being president) Even if the Assault Weapons/high capacity ammo cartridges were to go into effect your existing firearms won't vanish in the night, you'd still able to buy certain firearms; stealth helicopters and seal team 6 won't drop from the sky and take your guns.(if you actually fear this so much why are you even living here?)

people tout "the right to bear arms"(which I have no problem against) yet never tell the whole amendment which states; "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" I find it hard to believe that the sale of firearms has been well-regulated when nearly 40% of all gun transactions require no backround checks.

have any people actually checked the 23 executive orders? if not here:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Exactly where is your 2nd amendment being stomped on?

nobody but the OP suggested that the presidents executive orders alone would take peoples guns... and he linked us to infowar's Alex Jones, hardly part of the "right wing media", but you can go ahead with your strawman. 

though those executive order will do nothing, they also dont really "stomp on the 2nd Amendment" either. the one about releasing health records borders on it though.

I will call and tell them to eat chicken. I will also leave this alone. LOL

So true. LOL

Thank you Arcane, its Amazing to see these dumbass gun owners attack Fuhrer Obama and not even know what is being done.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling