By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What kind of marketing would get you to buy Spec Ops: The Line?

So, the posts on forums are like this: People want high quality stories.  They want a solid first-person experience.  They would like to see genuinely good reviews.  Well, isn't this what Spec Ops: The Line fits?  Well, in response to this, the reply is "It wasn't marketed properly".  The response to any title one sees that should sell well is that it needed to be marketed better.

So, in light of this, I would ask this: Exactly what kind of marketing would get you to buy Spec Ops: The Line?  Assume that this question is going to those who didn't, and particularly like to say marketing is a reason why a game doesn't sell.  So, exactly what could Take Two do in order to get you to buy the game, with its marketing?

Around the Network

Nolan North staring at the camera saying "I approve this game, it's the fucking shitz." If I knew before launch he was a main voice I would have bought it. Right now though since I've already missed the thrill of playing it while still hot, I'll just get it in the bargain bin.

JoeTheBro said:
Nolan North staring at the camera saying "I approve this game, it's the fucking shitz." If I knew before launch he was a main voice I would have bought it. Right now though since I've already missed the thrill of playing it while still hot, I'll just get it in the bargain bin.

Doing it Commander Shepard style?

nothing already bought it awhile ago.

NobleTeam360 said:

So what part of the marketing got you to buy it and did you pay full price?

Around the Network

I would have to know something about it before I can want it. Even as someone who reads a good deal about gaming, I know nothing about it. People who don't visit gaming sites have probably never heard of it. That, to me, indicates a failure in advertising. I have literally never seen one piece of media for it.

Also, the name. The glut of military shooters has made anything with words like "spec" or "ops" sound somewhat generic. No part of that title grabs my interest.

Edit:  after looking up the trailer, it seems I actually have seen a commercial for it.  It was awful and forgettable.  It kept showing the main character's expressionless face.  I don't know what they were trying to accomplish with that ad.

A sale on Steam where it's so cheap I can't possibly not buy it. Which I did.

I bought for 5 bucks sometime ago on amazon.

Average game. At least it had some cool art.

(some screenshots might contain spoilers)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mohinhas/screenshots/?appid=50300&sort=oldestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

richardhutnik said:
NobleTeam360 said:

So what part of the marketing got you to buy it and did you pay full price?

Saw it on Amazon for 29.99 a couple of months after release so I thought what the heck. I rarely buy a game because of advertising I saw for it. 

"It's not a FPS" would get me interested in buying. But if it turns out to be a lie then I would be mighty unhappy.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix