By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country 4!

Alright its been the dream of every Nintendo Donkey Kong fan. Anyone who grew up pounding Kremlings and dogging barrels a Donkey Kong 4. The legendary game that would make every other Donkey Kong Country game look like crap. So far Nintendo has tried (With RareWare once) to bring back the glory of Donkey Kong Country.

Nintendo Tried already once to make a true Donkey Kong Country style platformer in the form of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. Jungle Beat was a great alround platformer with pretty sharp gameplay. However the bosses were repetitive and their just weren't enough levels in my opinion.  The Bongo controller also made the game more awkward to play. The bongo's through many Donkey Kong fans off of buying it and the game ended up bombing with a little over 30,000 copies selling in the launch month.

Many people have suggested that Nintendo will be ditching the Donkey Kong franchise. The last 4-console games from the franchise have all bombed with none making it much higher then the 200,000 copies mark. Infact I bought JungleBeat during a clearance sale the month after it was released for 9.99$ bongo's included.  But Wii Ware could be the answer to Nintendo's problems and ours.

Why is Wii Ware the answer? 

Donkey Kong Country 1+2+3 have all been selling exceptionally well, how do I know this. Well when Nintendo Power gave the top VC list top five. Donkey Kong Country made it into the top five. Not only did Country do well but Diddy Kongs Quest did as well, how do I know that? Well if Diddy Kongs Quest hadn't done well Donkey Kong Country 3 wouldn't have been released as quickly as it was. Other then Mario Donkey Kong is the second most popular franchise on VC I mean more DK games have been released then Zelda or Metroid or any of Nintendo's other heavy hitters. Meaning Country is very popular.

Now your still wondering what this has to do with Wii Ware. Well if the Donkey Kong Country series is so popular and fans flock to the label (DKC) rather then DKJB or any other Donkey Kong game. Then wouldn't it make sense for Nintendo to return to what it knows works and sells?

We have all seen the beautiful graphics developers can pull off using Wii Ware. My bet is that Nintendo could easily develope a new Donkey Kong Country with low over head that looks like Jungle Beat for the Virtual Console really quickly.

Why not just make a full blown new Donkey Kong game for the Wii on a disk. First off Nintendo would have to make the game sizably bigger meaning larger budget and longer developement time. Nintendo hasn't had much success lately with the Donkey Kong franchise and won't want to risk manufacturing 100K of disks just to have a repeat of Jungle Beat.

Using Wii Ware Nintendo can make a decent Donkey Kong game with little risk of loosing money. Worst comes to worst they would at least break even. Less manufacturing costs , less developement costs and shorter developement times with smaller development teams.

Hopefully we will see a new Donkey Kong Country, a mix of the new Nintendo (Jungle Beat) and the old Nintendo (Country). And WiiEWare would appear to be the best way to deliver such a game! 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Game will be awful without Rare.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Why not on the DS?
they could call it New Donkey Kong Country

Think twice before helping a friend in need.

That would be awesome, I would love to play a new Donkey Kong Country.

I would like it :).

Around the Network
akuma587 said:

No I don't think so. Nintendo EAD Tokyo while rushing Jungle Beat made it slightly repetitive the game still at its core was a good game. I hated replaying the same bosses and some levels weren't diverse enough but a new Country would be amazing. To be honest I still think DKC was the best in the series and Rare themselves went downhill.

I think as long as it gets internally developed by one of the EAD teams it should be amazing! 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

It wouldn't be the same without Rare...

my fave series on the snes, i wish rare would make a 4th one, and wash away the disappointment that donkey kong 64 was

akuma587 said:

That's ridiciulous.  Please don't imply that Nintendo doesn't know how to make a quality platformer.

I'd love this game, but would it actually have DK as a main character?

DKC1: Donkey and Diddy

DKC2: Diddy and Dixie

DKC3: Dixie and Kiddie

If they continue the tradition, Donkey, Diddy, and Dixie will all be kidnapped by K. Rool, and Kiddie and some other retarded new character will be forced to save them.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

You are probably correct about it being a good idea to make a new Donkey Kong game similar to the old games, but the whole wiiware thing would be of no help. The cost of distributing a game is nothing compared with the development costs. It would be better to get the game in the stores and publicized.