By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Public schools vs Private School vs Home school

NintendoPie said:
Marks said:

Yeah it's crazy eh. Once you've been a teacher for 2 years it's next to impossible to be fired. 

Also I want things like banking sick days to end. Teachers can now add up all their sick days each year and use all right before retirement. At least in Canada they can, I don't know about in the United States. 

I'm pretty sure they can do that. One of my teachers said that he could take off more than a month from school and still get payed.

Wow that's crazy!! That just doesn't seem right eh. 

Around the Network

It depends on the child and the parent.

That depends if the answer is private or home school. If the parents want to be involved, and are responsible (as are the kids), home school is the best option. If they aren't, then private school is (at least in the US) the best option.

Public school is usually (and I say usually, because its not true in all cases) the worst choice. Its that way for a variety of reasons, but mostly its because the school is stymied and required to teach to get students to pass a test, rather than teach them to be smart, independent thinkers.

I wish the US education system would radically re-think education, and stop teaching to tests, and stop forcing kids into certain schools via districting, and allow a voucher system which would open up competition and likely increase student performance.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Public schools have too much indoctrination and too little objectivity for my taste. Ideally, homeschooling would be best for my future children; however, since I would work and I live in the state with the worst home-school laws in the country, it isn't an option. Ideally, a private school is best and I find it unfortunate that the U.S governments don't give out vouchers as an alternative to public school funding.

Both have their pros and cons depending on where they are. Others have pretty much elaborated on this already.

Home Schooling is not good for you. You may end up smarter then the average Joe, but socially you do not fit in and people thing you are weird. It is like getting an Amish person out of his environment.

The public schools in my area were frickin awesome (Canada). I also attended some private schools. It depends really. I'd say public ~= private.

Home school = fail. Missing out on lots of stuff.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Both have their pros and cons depending on where they are. Others have pretty much elaborated on this already.

Home Schooling is not good for you. You may end up smarter then the average Joe, but socially you do not fit in and people thing you are weird. It is like getting an Amish person out of his environment.

Funny, I could swear I was pretty social, as were most people in my class.

miz1q2w3e said:
The public schools in my area were frickin awesome (Canada). I also attended some private schools. It depends really. I'd say public ~= private.

Such as?

spurgeonryan said:

Which is better for you child/ren?

In Finland it's a 100% Public school system, they have the highest academic achievements over the last 10 years in the World, and costs Finland 30% less than the US per student

FYI: Finnish kids go to school for only 4 hrs per day, don't do tests, and don't do homework

Basically what can matter most is the system of the country you live in

If your talking US, then it would be the Montessori private schools that perform the best

It's all out there, look it up, I've given you something to go on, good luck!

mrstickball said:
miz1q2w3e said:

Such as?

I dunno, umm

The benefit of having an expert in each feild teach you what you need to know instead of just one person who isn't. The social aspect, friends, GFs/BFs, interacting with different types of people, learning life skills. Field trips, labs, experiments, activities, sports, clubs, it's a whole different experience.

mrstickball said:
Cobretti2 said:

Funny, I could swear I was pretty social, as were most people in my class.

Does not compute.