By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Toms Hardware list of 21 failed consoles includes PS Vita

It's a good read. Scroll to spot 21 for PSP Vita.

Things are looking pretty grim for PSP Vita when a site like Toms Hardware is making jokes about it. I think that Sony needs to do something drastic to save this puppy from dying early. Opening it up to Android would probably do the trick...

http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/611-console-handheld-fail.html

Specifications

CPU: Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9
RAM: 512 MB
VRAM: 128 MB
GPU: PowerVR SGX543MP4+
Games: PS Vita Card, 4 GB to 32 GB

Consoles sold

Too few for Google to port Android

Year production ended

Soon, we bet (perhaps before Apple Maps is considered accurate?) 

Reasons for failure

Alright, so we're trolling a bit. But there's a kernel of truth to our jest. The PS Vita has some serious advantages. But, for the moment, its sales figures are disastrous, totaling 2.2 million units worldwide as of June 30. Meanwhile, the Nintendo 3DS has sold more than 22 million units. These disappointing results call Sony’s economic model into question at a time when games on mobile devices are strongly appealing to mainstream gamers. 

Around the Network

What is PSP Vita?

Like we didn't know that.

so the vita crashed and burned already? and i thought the console has just been a year on the market

Andrespetmonkey said:
What is PSP Vita?

Arent you a smart boy...

Around the Network

It barely (if even) managed to meet Sony's own lowered expectations. What else would you call it right now?

I love the jokes in that article btw^^

Andrespetmonkey said:
What is PSP Vita?

It's an example of the brand confusion that Sony are obviously suffering from. They should have called it something else, like PSP2, then people would have been able to identify it as a new product much more easily.

VGChartz

milkyjoe said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
What is PSP Vita?

It's an example of the brand confusion that Sony are obviously suffering from. They should have called it something else, like PSP2, then people would have been able to identify it as a new product much more easily.

Would PSP2 not have suffered from the alleged problems that Xbox 2 would have had against PS3, against the competition of the 3DS?

Just a thought.

milkyjoe said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
What is PSP Vita?

Just a question - were people also this confused with the GBC, the SNES, the GBA and the Xbox360? I think PSVita and PSP sound completely different, unlike (3)DS and Wii(U).

the TurboGrafx-16 was a very good system, it sucks that people were too focused on the Super Nintendo and the Sega Mega Drive that the Turbo Grafx-16 had some awesome games.