By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 most popular console in Beligium (2007)

If you dare to say that the average consumer is informed about a machines capability then you're a bigger idiot than the average consumer.
The average consumer know next to nothing. They expect that the PS3 can play PS2 titles and when they come back finding out they can't play it they get pissed at you.

Yes the PS3 is the best console if you want to watch High Defenition too, but how many people care.... The average consumer doesn't (yet). The average consumer doesn't even see the difference between DVD video and a Blu-ray.

The reason why the average consumer buys a console instead of a new PC for games is the fact that they don't wanna care about all those things. They just want to flip in the disc and play. And they don't care if it's a PSX, PS2 or PS3 game they just want it to work.

- What console would you recommend to PS2 fans wanting to play a new version of the most popular PS2 games (Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, Gran Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Jak & Daxter, etc) in high definition when available?

Note the 2 things. A when available (you don't even want to know how many people know about upcomming releases... much less then you think atleast)
B of the most popular PS2 games.... which they expect to be able to play on the PS3 also until the new game comes out.

Personally I think it's Sony biggest mistake on the PS3 to remove the BC. Else the sales would have been a lot higher.

Predictions
I will win the internetz
Around the Network

""Personally I think it's Sony biggest mistake on the PS3 to remove the BC. Else the sales would have been a lot higher.""

==> and u created an account to say this ?
didnt u see the PS3 was able to top the Xbox360 sales during the Xmas period ?

the new 40gb without BC is the best move of Sony so far
Yes, BC is important
but price is a LOT more critical ...

no BC = - 100$ = more sales

Time to Work !

0libellule said:
hi,

Brandname is important in Europe but it is too in NA (so obvious !!)
In fact, the problem is not the PSX brandname, the problem is the MS brandname that is strong in NA (thx Xbox1 that sold mostly in NA and thx that Xbox is an american product), and is weak in Europe
(what is MS ?, what do I need to buy the Xbox360 since the PS3 will play all the game I want to play with some extra exclusive games MGS/FF/GT ..)

bye

Microsoft is the exact opposite of a strong brandname in america.  People either are indifferent towards it or hate it.  I've never seen or known one person buy a product because it's a Microsoft product.

The only difference is that most peole in America are indifferent instead of hating it.

@ Hakker_nl

Personally I think it's Sony biggest mistake on the PS3 to remove the BC. Else the sales would have been a lot higher.

I am not so sure about that, entry price is also an important factor. For instance many people interested in Blu-Ray movies and high definition may not care about PS2 backwards compatibility.

Although I agree having both a high specced console (with backwards compatibility) next to a cheaper PS3 console would be better.

According to research PS3 owners have the highest penetration of high definition TVs and audio sets of all the console userbases. Even an informed consumer owning only a PAL TV set may want to look towards the future, as HD penetration is rapidly growing and solutions are becoming cheaper and cheaper. Nowadays already with 600 Euro you can buy a cheap HDTV set at Media Markt.

With regard to being able to play PS2 games without worry, note the PS2 is still available and well supported. For people still interested in XBox games, only buying one second hand is the only good option available.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

""Microsoft is the exact opposite of a strong brandname in america. People either are indifferent towards it or hate it. I've never seen or known one person buy a product because it's a Microsoft product.

The only difference is that most peole in America are indifferent instead of hating it.
""

so it is like PAL for the Xbox brandname, they are indifferent
(I dont believe people hate the Xbox)

the difference is then about the PSX brandname :
people in PAL like it, people in NA are indifferent

Time to Work !

Around the Network
libellule said:
""Personally I think it's Sony biggest mistake on the PS3 to remove the BC. Else the sales would have been a lot higher.""

==> and u created an account to say this ?
didnt u see the PS3 was able to top the Xbox360 sales during the Xmas period ?

the new 40gb without BC is the best move of Sony so far
Yes, BC is important
but price is a LOT more critical ...

no BC = - 100$ = more sales
Not really a big wonder since the xbox 360 already has been on the market quite a bit longer. The fact that they made it 100 bucks cheaper cheaper doesn't affect it since the old bundle was actually the same.400(console)+50(controller)+130(2 games)=580 (without extra's as BC, 2 USB ports gone, Cardreader gone)Let me tell you one thing i'm glad I have the old one. 

Predictions
I will win the internetz

sure the addition of a Blu-ray player is nice, but if that's the reason to get a new console buy a blu-ray player instead since those come at 299 already (in europe). (yeah sure only 1.0 atm but most don't care about extra's either)

Yes people buy it because it can play BR movies, but people also like to play their old games on the console so they don't have to stash 12675341 consoles near the TV so they are able to play all the old games.

If you ask any regular consumer they would which their was only one console being able to play ALL the games (but that would basically mean having a pc near the TV ;) )

Predictions
I will win the internetz

@ Hakker_nl

sure the addition of a Blu-ray player is nice, but if that's the reason to get a new console buy a blu-ray player

Assuming of course a majority of high def movie enthusiasts (nor anyone else within the family) is the least of bit interested in playing games.

But still in such a case the more informed Blu-Ray movie enthusiast will have read the raving PS3 Blu-Ray reviews at high def consumer electronics focussed websites. The PS3 isn't just more future proof than other available players, but for instance loadup times are considerably better as well. The PS3 also includes a harddrive to store and playback media (movies and songs) files on, I can imagine some may even be interested in using Home in the future to discuss and watch the latest movie trailers, or have some Karaoke fun with Singstar.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

libellule said:
""Microsoft is the exact opposite of a strong brandname in america. People either are indifferent towards it or hate it. I've never seen or known one person buy a product because it's a Microsoft product.

""

That'd be my guess.   I'm not sure if people hate the Xbox in europe... but i know there are people in the US
 who refuse to buy ANYTHING microsoft related no matter how good or bad it is because they hate microsoft.

Kasz216 said:
libellule said:

""

That'd be my guess. I'm not sure if people hate the Xbox in europe... but i know there are people in the US
who refuse to buy ANYTHING microsoft related no matter how good or bad it is because they hate microsoft.

Hhm, even if so there are at least 6 million more XBox users in North America who still haven't upgraded to a 360.

PS3 vs 360 sales