By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why should 3rd parties bother with Nintendo? It's a flawed question to begin with.

When you try to find an answer, but was given the wrong question. You'll must likely come up with the wrong answer.

When you release a product, you should be asking yourself, what should I do to get people buy my product?

But when it comes to Nintendo, it's always, why should I release my product on Nintendo platform?

Your goal is to make the game that people want to buy. Not a shoddy gimped product and then expect people to buy.

Repeat it enough times and people will just assume all your current and future products are gimped releases.

Around the Network

Actually a very well thought out argument! I think this is spot on.

How can 3rd party developers/publishers expect to sell well when they're releasing gimped version, or old ports?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

These ports are really good. I play assassin's creed and think "see this is what far cry vengeance should have been".

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

With any business, the question is "where is the best investment of available resources?" That's where the Wii ran into a harsh reality. The smartest allocation of resources was almost always with development that could be applied to *two* consoles instead of one. In addition to that, the Wii's virtual installed base for most games was much less than it's actual total installed base. Even with all the people who owned a Wii, the realistic proportion who would be interested in a core game was much lower than with the PS3/360. It's easy to understand why the Wii suffered in terms of third-party support and it had nothing to do with grudges or conspiracy theories.

With the Wii U, we're seeing something much more normal, which is that developing for the existing gen is still the most economical option. Right now, with it's rather meager installed base, extending development time for a Wii U version just doesn't make much sense. If you want to make money with a game this late in this generation, you're going to try to release as soon as possible. The alternative would be to follow up with a later Wii U release, but honestly, that hasn't gone over very well so far.

I've said this many times, but right now is just an awkward period. We won't be able to judge properly until at least two members of the next gen are out. Also, I still say that Wii U owners who want third parties on Nintendo systems had better buy games like Colonial Marines, because other publishers are likely to be watching those titles closely to see if the Wii U turns out to be another "Mario box", where non-Nintendo releases fair poorly.

hahaha, Galaki with his funny threads, you gotta love them

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’