By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Best war movie or series

So here's my list of favorite war movie or TV series:

Band of Brothers (HBO)

Saving Private Ryan

The Longest Day-- an old black and white film that was rated G, but damn that was a great movie!  The best G rated movie I ever saw, totally epic, and with an all star cast for it's day (Sean Connery when he was young, etc)

Glory

I'm not a fan of war, at all, but I do enjoy war movies though, because it shows mankind at it's most extreme.

So what movies are on your list?

Name em'

Around the Network

The Dirty Dozen
The Great Escape
Bridge over the River Kwai
Hell in the Pacific
Gettysburg
Hamburger Hill
The Green Berets
Dos Boot
Black Hawk Down
Enemy at the Gates
Mash
Sergeant York
Kelly's Heroes
Good Morning, Vietnam

stalag 17

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

I like mostly old war movies like

Where Eagles Dare
The Guns of Navarone
Force 10 from Navarone
Dirty Dozen
Great Escape
Kelly's Heroes
Full Metal Jacket
A Bridge To Far
Escape from Sobibor (about concentration camp)

TV I like hogans heroes and dads army for comedy value.

Band of Brothers
Platoon
Pacific
Midway
The Longest Day

Saving Private Ryan

Around the Network

i saw saving private ryan on veterans day weekend in the theater the summer it came out. there were many old men in the crowd in there with their vfw hats and their medals on. some left during the omaha beach scene in tears. nothing will top the opening scene of that movie for war realism ever.

Glory

The greatest War movie of all-time (in my opinion of course)

Cobretti2 said:
I like mostly old war movies like

Where Eagles Dare
The Guns of Navarone
Force 10 from Navarone
Dirty Dozen
Great Escape
Kelly's Heroes
Full Metal Jacket
A Bridge To Far
Escape from Sobibor (about concentration camp)

TV I like hogans heroes and dads army for comedy value.

I happen to have a Bridge Too Far on DVD, great movie--another movie with Sean Connery who plays the general of the British airborne division that was decimated during Operation Market Garden.

paulao said:

Band of Brothers
Platoon
Pacific
Midway
The Longest Day

Saving Private Ryan

yeah, I have the box set of The Pacific.  Man, that's a brutal series....

halfgram said:
i saw saving private ryan on veterans day weekend in the theater the summer it came out. there were many old men in the crowd in there with their vfw hats and their medals on. some left during the omaha beach scene in tears. nothing will top the opening scene of that movie for war realism ever.

yeah, I remember even veterans from different wars chimed in on that.  I remember seeing a couple of Vietnam veterans being interviewed about seeing Saving Private Ryan, and they said that movie brought back bad memories.