By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - They’re well on their way to accomplishing this goal.

While Nintendo has not released any official data on the sales of the Wii U console, VGChartz has compiled data that suggests Nintendo’s latest console has performed fairly well this holiday season with 2 million units sold since launch. According to Nintendo’s own projections, the company wants to sell 5.5 million units by April 2013 and if the 2 million figure turns out to be true, they’re well on their way to accomplishing this goal.

According to these stats, the Wii U has performed 80% as well as the original Wii launch did, but several factors come into play when considering lower stats, including a higher price tag, tepid economy, and several launch title delays. These delays will do well in promoting the console for the early half of 2013, as big titles like Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, and The Wonderful 101 are still slated to be released within the launch window which could spur even more sales.

Around the Network

They allready did.

Next Xbox 2012 sales = 0

PS4 2012 sales = 0

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I thought Nintendo predicted 5.5 million shipped, not sold? Or is that what you mean?

(I think 4 Million will be around what they actually sell though.)

WiiU is great, and although it wont sell Wii type numbers, it will do quite well.

I hope the WiiU can manage to keep the current momentum. Else it will be hard to manage the goal. I believe in Nintendo though, the exclusives for spring are great^^

Around the Network

The real test will come after the hardcore Nintendo fans all have their Wii Us. If the system continues to sell at this pass then it won't matter how much more powerful the Nextbox and PS4 are. The Wii U will be a success. But if after the Nintendo fans have spent their money and the sales drop off it will mean that people are waiting for the other systems.

kain_kusanagi said:
The real test will come after the hardcore Nintendo fans all have their Wii Us. If the system continues to sell at this pass then it won't matter how much more powerful the Nextbox and PS4 are. The Wii U will be a success. But if after the Nintendo fans have spent their money and the sales drop off it will mean that people are waiting for the other systems.

What will REALLY help it are the games.

Nintendo probably needs to sell between 2 Million and 2.5 million systems in the first 3 months of the year to meet their shipment projections. What I see as their problem is that there isn't any real big games to take a chunk out of that number and make it easy to attain; after all, if they had a couple of big games they might only need to average 125,000 per week through most of the period to make their goal.

Of course, if some of the TBA and Q1 2013 games that were initially launch window games actually get released before the fiscal year end, and Nintendo does a press conference and announces a few games that will be released in Q2, they could have strong enough sales to meet their goal. On the other hand, if too many games get their release date pushed back and/or Nintendo holds off game releases until after E3 I expect them to fall short of their shipment goal.