By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Sony and Microsoft Only Release Consoles On A Par With Wii U...

NobleTeam360 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I extremely doubt it. The 720 and PS4 will probably be 5 to 10 times more powerful than the Wii U.

Highly doubtful. At best were looking at 2-4 times more powerful if we go by the speculated rumours for each system.

Lies all lies it has to be a lie. 

Yes, lol, I was trying to decieve you all because the PS4/720 will be 1,000,000 times more powerful !!!!

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

DanneSandin said:

I'm not sure if I read this correctly... You think the whole home console market will skrink to less than 100m units in the 8th gen?

If the PS4 and 720 have the same power than Wii U/PS3/360??? I'm sure if not more.

Oh ok, I think I got it right this time around =)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

something that underwhelming ... i dunno. i'd probably still buy one but probably wouldn't play it much.

i've been getting into carpentry lately so i'd probably spend more on that hobby and less on gaming. maybe i'd finally take up sailing.

Branko2166 said:

Nintendo would win and many gamers would migrate to PC. I would be one of them.

Now we are making fun guesses... next question would be, taking into account that all the consoles have less piracy, would the PC games not be developed taking into account the less common denominator? I mean a few PC games look great maxed out but are still development thinking that the games can have a console version, and the most popular ones on PC right now are the indie/smaller games than can run in almost anything.

I think we will see the reinassance of the Movies at home with TV screens as big as out walls and one or two streamming services to rule them all. And videogames market will shrink making it not viable for 3 competitors (so one is going to go away Microsoft? Sony?). Who would want to guess which one and why?

joora said:
IMHO it would be great for the developers, since production costs won't go skyhigh, so there will be potential for innovation and not just "playing it safe".

Since the establishment of Steam, I find myself enjoying indie games better than many "gaming blockbusters". The mainstream genres just feel stale and lack some radical innovation.

This is exactly why Sony and MS shouldn't go insane with power again. Decently spec'd and affordable consoles should suffice for next gen until development costs shrink. We don't need even MORE developers closing. 

Also I agree with you on the second thing. Developers aren't taking many risks, and the mainstream games reflect this. 

Around the Network

Why a lot of people think that MS/Sony will release consoles marginally more powerfull than current ones, costing almost the double of the price and everybody will buy it? They simply can't do it.

They will release consoles that are way more powerfull than current ones. The jump will be smaller, like previous gen was smaller than PS2/GC/XBox jump. Wii U is marginally more powerfull than current gen and Sony and MS have to beat their previous machines with ease, so it will be the less powerfull one, but the difference will be smaller than the "Wii vs. HD twins" situation.

flagstaad said:
Regular people still get the wow actor from the PS3 and Xbox 360 graphics and are still buying a lot of them, and in some development countries (like mine) they just became affordable to the masses.

If the new consoles are not too powerful and they can sell it at a decent price they will have quicker market penetration and we will have a shorter generation (5-6 years, instead of 10 year plans), and that seems to be beneficial for developers.

Developers will also be willing to take more risk, as the costs will not increase too much. And lets face it if people are ok playing iOS games, they will be more than ok playing with something 2 or 3 times better than a PS3/Xbox360.

See what happened with the music industry, the masses did not wanted more quality, just more quantity at an affordable price, and MP3 became king.

Music is not the same thing at all. Also I think if they don't make a jump in graphics like I expect, i won't pick one up. Nor will a lot of other people. WHY? Just keep the system you have now. I most likely would be done with gaming for some time. I would be pissed.

I dont understand how the consoles not beeing incredibly overpriced in a dificult economic situation is aiming gaming towards casuals.

if on par I certainly don't come back to console gaming.

megaman79 said:
joora said:
Since the establishment of Steam, I find myself enjoying indie games better than many "gaming blockbusters". The mainstream genres just feel stale and lack some radical innovation.

And if there isn't any proof of this, please draw your attention towards the best game of the year awards.

I think Sony's mistake will be the greatest lesson learnt for next gen.

I don't think Sony's executive management is capable of learning from mistakes. When I see the Vita I see a commitment to failure. If they were indeed capable of learning lessons then they would have applied some to the Vita and launched the system with significantly weaker hardware, at a drastically lower price point at least a year before the 3DS. Also, no proprietary memory cards.

As far as the OP, only a minimal increase in hardware for the PS4/Orbis and Trinity/Delta would be devastating to Nintendo as these systems could be sold at a lower price point if they didn't include touch pad controllers. Comparable console hardware, no expensive gimmicky controller and superior third party software at a lower price would make for successful consoles. I don't see this happening though and as a result, I see Sony exiting the console market.