By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Up 22nd Dec. YOY: HW DOWN 1m & SW DOWN 15m!!

Can someone from VGChartz explain why has the 360 version of Fifa 13 in Europe except UK, grew up more over fifa 12 then the PS3 version?

The reason I took UK out was not to make the 360 version look bad, I just did that because I saw the difference in Europe being "smaller" then last year, so I went to the UK numbers and saw that the 360 version has gained 120k more over the PS3 version of Fifa 13.

The difference last year between both was 1M, this year 815k, which means that the 360 version of Fifa grew 70k more units in places where the PS3 sells a lot more (for the most part), and the fact that completely discredits these numbers is how much bundling there has been for Fifa 13 in Europe. We know advertisements is for the most part more for the PS3 version every year, but Fifa as been heavily bundled by Sony with the 500gb SS console, and later with the 12gb SS console (don´t know if it was in all countries).

Sony actively pursued Fifa to be a game changer because they lacked exclusive system sellers this Holiday season.

The funny thing is, a much less bundled game in Europe like AC 3, has grown 100k more on the PS3 including UK (where 360 dominates of course).

No, I am not mad nor do I care a lot about this, my point is that it doesn´t make sense for a bigger growth of the 360 version outside of the UK in Europe, IMO

As for hardware, great 360 US numbers, great PS3 Europe numbers, great global 3DS numbers.

If I had to bet, the 3DS and PS3 are being overtracked a little in Europe, and 360 and Vita undertracked.

And in US both the 3ds and the PS3 are being outsold 2:1 buy the 360 in December, I don´t believe that even tho 360 still dominates.

As for the Wiis, I have no idea, even tho I have one, to this day I don´t understand the holiday sales phenom, and I like first party Nintendo games for the most part.

Around the Network
amaral_slb said:

Can someone from VGChartz explain why has the 360 version of Fifa 13 in Europe except UK, grew up more over fifa 12 then the PS3 version?

The reason I took UK out was not to make the 360 version look bad, I just did that because I saw the difference in Europe being "smaller" then last year, so I went to the UK numbers and saw that the 360 version has gained 120k more over the PS3 version of Fifa 13.

The difference last year between both was 1M, this year 815k, which means that the 360 version of Fifa grew 70k more units in places where the PS3 sells a lot more (for the most part), and the fact that completely discredits these numbers is how much bundling there has been for Fifa 13 in Europe. We know advertisements is for the most part more for the PS3 version every year, but Fifa as been heavily bundled by Sony with the 500gb SS console, and later with the 12gb SS console (don´t know if it was in all countries).

Sony actively pursued Fifa to be a game changer because they lacked exclusive system sellers this Holiday season.

The funny thing is, a much less bundled game in Europe like AC 3, has grown 100k more on the PS3 including UK (where 360 dominates of course).

No, I am not mad nor do I care a lot about this, my point is that it doesn´t make sense for a bigger growth of the 360 version outside of the UK in Europe, IMO

As for hardware, great 360 US numbers, great PS3 Europe numbers, great global 3DS numbers.

If I had to bet, the 3DS and PS3 are being overtracked a little in Europe, and 360 and Vita undertracked.

And in US both the 3ds and the PS3 are being outsold 2:1 buy the 360 in December, I don´t believe that even tho 360 still dominates.

As for the Wiis, I have no idea, even tho I have one, to this day I don´t understand the holiday sales phenom, and I like first party Nintendo games for the most part.

My guess is two things to your main paragraph. Market saturation for PS3, more PS3 owners have fifa therefore they do not need a fifa. While new 360 owners do not have a fifa so they buy the newest one. And 2nd ads, I see a lot of ads in america for 360 fifa. But thats just US so idk about Europe.

In summary I think a multitude of reasons could have happened. Although I wonder why more PS3 HW is sold then 360 HW yet SW remains far behind.

next gen system are needed

TeddostheFireKing said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

I can't believe I'm arguing it either, it seems so painfully obvious to me but a lot of people can't see it including yourself. Honest question. The WiiU has sold to date 340k in Europe. Do you truly, seriously, honestly think there are only 340k people in Europe who want a WiiU? If you answer no, than you must now agree with me that the systems sales are limited only by supply and Nintendo's ability to get the system in to waiting hands. If you answer yes, and you think there are only 340k people in Europe who want a WiiU this conversation is pointless and I don't know why you post on this site because you have no idea how many people by video games and systems. Beyond that there isn't much point to this talk, you'll see how it all works out when Nintendo sells their projections by March. Cheers.

Is it so hard to believe, that people in Europe just aren't interested in the WiiU right now?

It my be anecdotal, but all my core Nintendo friends aren't interested in it right now, they don't think the price is justified by the games on sale at the moment. Similarly, the more casual gamers I know who bought the Wii aren't interested in games at all right now :/

Until Nintendo releases games Europe wants, sales will stay low.

For the record, I have an e-mail right here from a local video game-store advertising the WiiU. There's a side-note, saying they still have trouble with their stock, saying "Limited Availability".

Now I'm not saying Europeans are jumping up and down to get this system, but at least here in the Netherlands, we aren't getting many.

TeddostheFireKing 8 hours ago
TheLastStarFighter said:

I can't believe I'm arguing it either, it seems so painfully obvious to me but a lot of people can't see it including yourself. Honest question. The WiiU has sold to date 340k in Europe. Do you truly, seriously, honestly think there are only 340k people in Europe who want a WiiU? If you answer no, than you must now agree with me that the systems sales are limited only by supply and Nintendo's ability to get the system in to waiting hands. If you answer yes, and you think there are only 340k people in Europe who want a WiiU this conversation is pointless and I don't know why you post on this site because you have no idea how many people by video games and systems. Beyond that there isn't much point to this talk, you'll see how it all works out when Nintendo sells their projections by March. Cheers.

Is it so hard to believe, that people in Europe just aren't interested in the WiiU right now?

It my be anecdotal, but all my core Nintendo friends aren't interested in it right now, they don't think the price is justified by the games on sale at the moment. Similarly, the more casual gamers I know who bought the Wii aren't interested in games at all right now :/

Until Nintendo releases games Europe wants, sales will stay low.

To the degree you are saying, yes. You are saying that less than 1% of Wii buyers are interested in WiiU. 1%! Do you realise how rediculous that is? I'm blown away buy it. If you want to bash WiiU interest level, say it's about 50% of what Wii was. Go extreme even, say Nintendo would be lucky to get 10% of the interest level. But 1%? That's so over-the-top I can't take you seriously. And there are games Euros want, NSMBWii sold 700,000 copies this year alone. Millions of Euros will buy a WiiU and they will buy NSMBU. What happens after that, I don't know but there is without a shadow of a doubt more than 340k people that will do that. You may not hang out with them, but they are definitely alive and willing to buy a WiiU when they can get one.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:

To the degree you are saying, yes. You are saying that less than 1% of Wii buyers are interested in WiiU. 1%! Do you realise how rediculous that is? I'm blown away buy it. If you want to bash WiiU interest level, say it's about 50% of what Wii was. Go extreme even, say Nintendo would be lucky to get 10% of the interest level. But 1%? That's so over-the-top I can't take you seriously. And there are games Euros want, NSMBWii sold 700,000 copies this year alone. Millions of Euros will buy a WiiU and they will buy NSMBU. What happens after that, I don't know but there is without a shadow of a doubt more than 340k people that will do that. You may not hang out with them, but they are definitely alive and willing to buy a WiiU when they can get one.

you put far too much faith in your "1%" calc.  check out the first 6 weeks of ps3 sales in europe and you'll see an even smaller percentage.  wrong price, wrong games, no interest.  past success does not ensure future success.

kitler53 13 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:

To the degree you are saying, yes. You are saying that less than 1% of Wii buyers are interested in WiiU. 1%! Do you realise how rediculous that is? I'm blown away buy it. If you want to bash WiiU interest level, say it's about 50% of what Wii was. Go extreme even, say Nintendo would be lucky to get 10% of the interest level. But 1%? That's so over-the-top I can't take you seriously. And there are games Euros want, NSMBWii sold 700,000 copies this year alone. Millions of Euros will buy a WiiU and they will buy NSMBU. What happens after that, I don't know but there is without a shadow of a doubt more than 340k people that will do that. You may not hang out with them, but they are definitely alive and willing to buy a WiiU when they can get one.

you put far too much faith in your "1%" calc. check out the first 6 weeks of ps3 sales in europe and you'll see an even smaller percentage. wrong price, wrong games, no interest. past success does not ensure future success.

Again, you don't understand. The PS3 launched as a dud everywhere, not just Europe.  WiiU detractors are saying it's a dud only in Europe because Europeans are poor/like racing/like sony/other unfounded reason.  If WiiU was selling below projections worldwide we could start comparing it to PS3 but WiiU is selling exactly as projected by Nintendo.  The argument is that only Europeans don't like it and I'm saying that's silly. It may well be no where near as popular as Wii but we'll only start to see that after the first million or two sell. Conclusions of product rejection based on the sales data we have so far or on anecdotal friend comment or store spottings are all rediculous. You can argue if you wish but each week of sales data only moves us closer to proving my opinion as WiiU trends toward prjected fiscal year totals.

TheLastStarFighter said:

That question is ridiculous.  I take it there is nothing currently available that you want?  After all apparently the only options are that you've either bought it or it is completely sold out.  I'd say it's reasonable that at least 15 million people want a 720.  However it is unreasonable to say that it will sell 15 million at launch if Microsoft makes that many available.

There are plenty of reasons someone might want a Wii U eventually, but hasn't or won't buy one now.  Maybe the price is too high, the features they want aren't there, the software lineup isn't robust enough, or they just don't feel like they need it right now.  So yes, I think as of the 15th of December there were only 340k willing buyers of the Wii U.  I'm sure there are people out there who want a PS3 but don't own one.  Doesn't mean the PS3 is supply constrained.  Were you making the same arguments after the 3DS launched?  I mean handhelds sold over 200 million last generation, so by your logic tons of people buy video games and systems therefore the 3DS was supply constrained.  Regardless of the fact that it failed to meet forecasts.

Beyond all that, it is just a ridiculous argument.  If there are really legions of people desperate to buy a Wii U, why is it readily available from retailers.  Why are there units failing to sell on ebay and others selling for less than retail.  Why has the Wii U price been reduced on French and German Amazon yet it is still in stock?  Surely none of these things should be happening if it is supply constrained.  How exactly are people unable to find units when they are readily available?

Please explain why these people who want a Wii U aren't buying the ones that are available.  Also you neglected to answer when they started production, how many you think they'll ship for the past quarter, and how many they'll sell weekly at the start of 2013.  I'm going to just assume you expect 400k a week for the next few months.  After all that's how many you claim they can manufacture, and it will supposedly continue to sell out the first 5-10 million units.

TheLastStarFighter said:

You are saying that less than 1% of Wii buyers are interested in WiiU. 1%! Do you realise how rediculous that is? I'm blown away buy it. If you want to bash WiiU interest level, say it's about 50% of what Wii was.

So you're going to keep claiming it is supply constrained until it hits 50% of the Wii?  ~16.2 million in Europe.  And that is considered bashing it apparently.

@Yak - So you didn't answer my question. With that, I'm satisfied that you agree with me even though you don't want to admit it. I'll move on to other discussions. And no, I didn't say it had to be 50%, and that's my fundamental point. I said go with 10% even. But you are going with 1% and that's silly. What I have said is actually that Nintendo will easily sell 1-2 million WiiU's in Europe without trying as long as they are available to be purchased. It's not a totally random number, it's what Nintendo projected by end March and what they are on pace to sell. I believe until they hit that point (at least) it's a supply-constraint. I'm actually only saying minimum 4.6% of Wii buyers are without-a-doubt anxious to buy a WiiU. I think that's a very, very low expectation from a brand retention level. Keep following, you'll see it is the case.

I hope HALO 4 is not overtracked. From GFK European data, HALO 4 didn't break into TOP 10 in some countires last week. So I really worried that HALO 4 is overtracked in Europe.