By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Official Nintendo & Sony Holiday Lifetime Shipments Update Thread

GameCube sold 50K last Quarter in NA for those interested. :) No sales anywhere else for the whole year, though.

Around the Network

"EDIT: Also on the rounding thing, I believe they always round down below the measurement amount(millions of yen, tens of thousands of units), so if anything the numbers added together would be higher."

No, Nintendo just round them off to the nearest 10,000. When I put the previous figures up I rounded them off to the nearest 100,000, so you should trust Nintendo's more than mine :)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Linkzmax said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Yeah the difference between NPD and NA shipped seems a bit large

I may be wrong, but I'd assume that Nintendo is counting the rainchecks as sold units, which would probably account for most of the difference.

Well as sales a sale, regardless of whether its a month off on delivery of Wii or not

It depends on the definition of a sale, as in when the money is changing hands.  Since I don't work for a company that sells a product to retailers nor do I work at a retailer, I'm not sure when each would count a sale.  Again I may be wrong, but I don't think consumers payed the full amount for a rain check while Nintendo does charge the retailers for them(though it's probably an interest free credit until the units are delivered).

If both are counting the rainchecks(or not counting them), then NPD probably has undertracked the Wii, as I doubt there were 1 million in the wild at the end of the calendar year. 

So BKK who do you think is closer VGC or NPD?

LinkZ, I think the Rain check was the full amount paid in advance 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

To be honest I don't know how it works. Could units ordered by retailers be counted even if they hadn't arrived at the stores yet? Also, I don't live in the US, so not that easy for me to know, although I assume it was basically sold out in December. I'm also going to assume that official Wii sales in Mexico are so small as to be insignificant.

Around the Network
BKK2 said:
To be honest I don't know how it works. Could units ordered by retailers be counted even if they hadn't arrived at the stores yet? Also, I don't live in the US, so not that easy for me to know, although I assume it was basically sold out in December. I'm also going to assume that official Wii sales in Mexico are so small as to be insignificant.

Because it seems odd to me to believe that at the end of 2007, NPD had 8.03 million sold compared to Nintendo's 8.85, meaning 820K still left on shelves and then to say that only around 270K to have been sold since (according to VGC), seems a bit unrealistic, since that would mean that even without shipping any, another 450K still sits on the shelves just doesn't seem likely (truthfully even VGC seems a bit low, but still closer than NPD)

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Don't really have any European tracker figures to compare NPD and VGC to, so I'll compare to Media Create. 92.58% of shipped Wiis were sold according to them, so if we applied that to NA we get 8.19M, 0.16M higher than NPD, and 0.19M lower than VGC. So according to my pseudo-scientific analysis they're both within the margin of error. Applied to Others we get 5.83M, 0.22M below VGC.

Obviously there's no reason why Japanese sold through % will apply to NA or Others, but it does match pretty well with VGC and NPD numbers.

BKK2 said:
Don't really have any European tracker figures to compare NPD and VGC to, so I'll compare to Media Create. 92.58% of shipped Wiis were sold according to them, so if we applied that to NA we get 8.19M, 0.16M higher than NPD, and 0.19M lower than VGC. So according to my pseudo-scientific analysis they're both within the margin of error. Applied to Others we get 5.83M.

Obviously there's no reason why Japanese sold through % will apply to NA or Others, but it does match pretty well with VGC and NPD numbers.

Perhaps, but has not demand in NA, been stronger than demand in Japan, we had fewer reports of Wii shortages there

Sure, although I don't know if it started to sell out again towards the end of the year or not.

I don't think it's as simple as extrapolating Japan to US anyway, just thought it was interesting to see what it threw up.

Has anyone got a link to the full report.. i used to go to the nintendo press room but the guest password has expired.