By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - World of Warcraft surpasses 10 million subscribers

"Game attracts 5.5 (million) subscribers in Asia

Blizzard Entertainment announced today that subscribership for its World of Warcraft MMORPG recently passed the 10 million mark worldwide.

More than half of subscribers - approximately 5.5 million - are located in Asia, with more than 2 million in Europe and over 2.5 million in North America. Blizzard's subscriber figures includes those who have paid a subscription fee or own an active prepaid card as well as those within their first free month of access.

"It's very gratifying to see gamers around the world continuing to show such enthusiasm and support for World of Warcraft," said Blizzard CEO and cofounder Mike Morhaime.

"We're always pleased to welcome new players to the game, and we're looking forward to sharing the next major content update with the entire community in the months ahead."

World of Warcraft debuted in North America on November 23, 2004. It was the best-selling PC game of 2005 and 2006 on a worldwide basis. In 2007, WOW was the second best-selling PC game - behind World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, the first expansion pack for the game.

The Burning Crusade holds the record for fastest-selling PC game of all time, with nearly 2.4 million copies sold in its first 24 hours of availability and approximately 3.5 million in its first month according to Blizzard.

WOW is currently available in seven languages, with a Russian version in development and scheduled for release later this year. Development is also underway on a second expansion pack, Wrath of the Lich King."

Source - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=32339 

That Was Left-Handed

Xbox Live: Spire VII

Playstation 3 Network: Spire_VII

Around the Network

Guess we need to update our WoW numbers here.

wow thats some nice money each month

Think twice before helping a friend in need.

Does this mean 10 million total? Or 10 million current?

This game is hot in China....It irritates me because I am not interested in that game :( Never can talk with someone about a other game over there...*Cries*

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Does this mean 10 million total? Or 10 million current?

It means 10 million current active subscribers.  Total theres probably a lot more.

VG Chartz highly undertracks PC games, I mean come on, 0 sales for StarCraft!?

lol j/k, but we really need to get some PC sales Data, StarCraft has sold over 10 million copies and WarCraft 3 has sold over 6 million copies. 

PC Gamer

I was WoW's 10,005,291st subscriber

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Don't hate on me But why is WoW so Popular??

Is it because pretty much any Computer can play it?

i play this game and it just bored the hell out of me...

Diablo2 FTW!

Hi i'm new
Prediction:
EA will buy as many Companies they can,so they can make a super Console that
will have the most exclusive games, and Will win the next GEN
SeikenDensetsu said:
Don't hate on me But why is WoW so Popular??

Is it because pretty much any Computer can play it?

i play this game and it just bored the hell out of me...

Diablo2 FTW!

Because, well for one like you said almost any computer can play it, another thing is a lot of people know people that play it (10 of my friends play) and also the game is a lot of fun I think. Its more fun when you play with friends and don't think as much about leveling.

And I agree, Daiblo 2 rules!  I used to play that game all the time. 

PC Gamer

For those who say PC gaming is dying:

Unless something crazy happens, it's quite likely that Blizzard will make more money than EA, Konami, Sega, Ubisoft, Squaresoft, and Take Two combined this year, with plenty of room to spare. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">