By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What does the word "flop" mean?

It seems like many forum users use flop as a synonym for "not a huge hit" which I find a little silly. As if there is no grey area between massive hit and failure. To me the only thing I'll call a "flop" is a game that has very high expectations, that doesn't live up to those expectations by a wide and surprising margin. A game expected to sell 2 million only selling 1.6 is not flop. A game expected to sell 2 million and only selling 500K would be more of a flop.

LISTEN TO THE FIRST WORLD PODCAST REAL GAMERS, REAL AWESOME

Around the Network

The term comes in two distinct contexts. Unless the distinction isn't made, and in that case it is assumed to be a flop on both counts. The two distinct usages refer to financial flops and critical flops. A financial flop means that the game didn't generate the revenue to offset development/marketing costs. While a critical flop means that the game was so poorly received by reviewers that it is viewed as substandard.

In the first case it can be hard to discern whether a game is a financial flop given that we don't necessarily know the costs associated with bringing it to the market, but that doesn't mean we can't use common sense rules of thumb to reach a consensus. A low end game that isn't shovel ware probably needs to sell a couple hundred thousand units in its first few months. While a high end game probably needs to sell at least a million in that time frame. If it succeeds even if the expectations were high it cannot be a financial flop. That doesn't mean it would be unfair to call it a disappointment.

In the second case a meta rating below seventy probably will suffice. Technically average should be a score of fifty out of a hundred, but reviewers grade on a curve, and we as observers must do the same. This obviously doesn't apply to shovel ware, because frankly those suppliers don't give a rats ass about making quality goods in the first place, and nobody is surprised when they churn out another piece of crap. However most competent developers expect to get a better then average score. Well they at least aim for that goal.

This all means we can have contradictions, but they are only problematic if people speak in general terms when they should limit themselves to specific terms. A highly praised game that is a money pit isn't a total flop. It is just a financial flop. Just as a poorly received game that sells through a large volume of units can't be a total flop. It is just a critical flop.

Anyway ninety five percent of the time the word is misappropriated, because people think it is some next level cold ass shit to say in the heat of a discussion. They think it gives weight to what they are saying. When all it really does is make them sound like a zealot trying to score points. Rather then someone interested in putting a thing in its proper context.

I don't have a problem with people saying that something was a disappointment, but a Flop is something quite extraordinary. There aren't a lot of games that flop in a given year, and when it does happen. They deserve a very special classification. When a developer creates a game that totally flops it is something that has real profound consequences. Especially if it was a big ambitious title.

If a product of any kind sells too few to make a profit then it is a flop.

It doesn't matter what people expect a product to do, if it makes a profit then it's not a flop.

You should have quoted the definitions i put on the other thread.

Flop by definition is an unprofitable product. It can also be used when a product hugely misses its predicted sales target. This is mostly because its not an accurate concept.

If you want to make it strictly accurate then you have to ignore loose interpretations of the word and it will be just an unprofitable product.

So, Little big planet karting would be a flop and Resident Evil 6 wouldnt.

I'm assuming LBPK didnt sell enough copies to make it profitable.

I've always thought it meant failing without any measure of success. Like Pluto Nash, that movie was a flop in every way. Failed to make a profit anywhere. Theater, DVD, and how often do you see Pluto Nash on TV? Not even a cult status, it was just considered bad all around and just couldn't make back it's budget. Firefly technically failed to be a hit TV show, but it's loyal following garnered it good DVD sales, a movie, and a legacy of just being a good sci-fi show. So technically, even though Firefly was canceled after one season, it's legacy lived and was able to at least get a movie out of that legacy.