By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Fuck taxes! Love ya Belgium .

JazzB1987 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
binary solo said:
I think anyone earning over $1 million Euros per year can afford to pay 75% tax ON EARNINGS OVER $1 million Euros without it affecting their lifestyle in any real way.

However, I do believe that no matter how many dollars you earn a majority of every earned dollar should go into your pocket. i.e. I think governments should discipline themselves such that their budget can be met with a top income tax rate substantially below 50%. If you have to tax anyone above 50% then you're doing something wrong.

What?

You think it's ok to take 75% of someone's earnings? You then go on to say 50% is still reasonable. I suppose you think the state knows how to spend people's money better then they do?

At 75% 1,000,000 would become 250,000

That's a big difference.

If you earned that money I think you would want to spend it on what you want instead of losing 75% of it to taxes. Even 50% is far too much.

I mean, wouldn't a tax system and spending system that requires 10% of everyone with no loopholes be fair and work a lot better? It's just as unfair to make the rich pay more as it is to give the lazy free money.

I think you dont see the problem here. Its highly questionable why anyone earns more than 100k a month or even 10k.  He just got there because of connections or because he keeps the money for himself and the people that work for his company get minimum wage or whatever.

There is no person in the world that deserves more than 10k a month.   Why do you think people get 10k or more a month? They do it because they decide that they get 10k and they also decide that the average joe  gets just enough to survive and keep working without having enough to do what they want.

IMHO 90% tax on people that earn 100k or more would be at least fair.  OR  make your workers get more money and dont be such a f*cking greedy boss.

You've got to be kidding me. Do you have any idea what this would do to the economy?? 'Evil Rich' people are the ones that have big houses built (jobs for construction workers, architects, etc.), do expensive kitchen remodels and the like (jobs for skilled tradesmen), buy luxury items (jobs for people building yachts and luxury cars, both good paying jobs), hire workers to run their business if they're a small busines owner, and invest into the economy. Without this, we would be like the majority of the world, with the vast majority of the population in abject poverty. Even the 'poor' in most western nations have far more than the average person in the rest of the world.

Another thing you clearly don't understand about capitalism is competition. In a free market, if a 'greedy' business owner only wants to pay somebody minimum wage, that person will usually not stay with him for very long. There will be plenty of smarter business owners who will offer that individual more if they're worth it, because good employees benefit the business in the long run. I'm a very hard and motivated worker, and have thus been able to work myself up to a very good paying job (not at 10k a month yet, but on track to get there one day). The company owner makes around 10k a month, but he also runs the business and has more responsibility & risk in the game than me. He pays me a fair wage and knows that with my skill set (that I have built up over the years because I'm a hard worker who is constantly improving my knowledge) I could find a good job somewhere else if he didn't pay me fairly.

If you only make minimum wage, you'd damn sure better be working on obtaining a skill that is worth more than that. I started my working life at a fast food restaurant ($6/hr), moved to an assembly plant job ($12/hr), worked my way through college and got a job starting at $40k/year, then worked my way up from there. If you're in a minimum wage job and just complain about it without looking for a way to improve your skills and situation, you're the type of person who is only worth that. That being said, very few people actually make only minimum wage, and those that do are usually just starting out in a low skill position. Do you really think somebody deserves $25/hour for running the register or slapping burgers together at McDonalds? Would you be willing to pay $10 for a hamburger if they were paid that? Get real.

People that make a lot of money generally do work very hard for it, especially small business owners, and yes, even CEO's. An interesting stat, about 80% of the 'millionaires' out there today are first generation 'rich' and did NOT get there due to connections or family wealth, they did so because of their own hard work and ingenuity... many of them own small businesses and have taken huge risks as well as sacrificing family time to build their brand. As an example, my boss is currently doing a lot of traveling around the holidays for a project so he can bring in some much needed cash to the business, this not only helps him, but ensures my job security. Granted, there are people that are in their position because of family wealth or connections, but that is not the case in all, or even most situations.

Instead of being bitter and jealous towards those that have more than you, how about you get off your ass, look at what they did to get where they are, and emulate that behavior (becoming educated, developing a skill, then monitizing that skill, working hard, and managing their money responsibly for example). Or, you could just be a bitter, lazy leech and cheer when the government steals their (and my) hard earned money. Taxes are necessary, but opressive taxation only causes economic desctruction, because the wealth & job creators simply leave, and this is bad even for you in the long run.

Around the Network

Another point, no rich person has ever forcibly taken money from me to pad their own bank account. The only people who can legally do that are those on the government dole, voting for higher taxes on others and for that money to be siphoned to them. We absolutely need a safety net for people who really need help, but perfectly capable people who spend their entire life living in this 'safety net' are nothing but thieves.

75% tax is too much, but they should have to pay it still, if they are French. Tax havens like Belgium or Switzerland should be against international law altogether. Taxes are there to create a decent welfare safety net for all and to create investment in a rough economy (like now)

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Marks said:
non-gravity said:

In this case noone actually needs 1 million dollars or even a net 250k 

10% is not enough to maintain a welfare state, something the electorate desires

Wow so just because someone doesn't "need" the money means the government has the right to forcibly take it from them or face imprisonment? Cool, nice sense of entitlement bro. 

Yes the constitution gives them that right

the2real4mafol said:
75% tax is too much, but they should have to pay it still, if they are French. Tax havens like Belgium or Switzerland should be against international law altogether. Taxes are there to create a decent welfare safety net for all and to create investment in a rough economy (like now)

Belgium Tax haven? Belgium has one of the highest taxes in Europe, with a 50% marginal rate for incomes over ~35K €. This shows that Depardieu isn't against paying taxes, he is against leech states that suck their citizens dry.

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:

Tax heavens? Belgium? What you're talking about?

It's even more hilarious that you find 75 % too much. Since Belgium had a general tax burden just a bit over 75%!! If Depardieu isn't doing this to get to Monaco, then he's a freaking idiot.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Kynes said:
the2real4mafol said:

Belgium Tax haven? Belgium has one of the highest taxes in Europe, with a 50% marginal rate for incomes over ~35K €. This shows that Depardieu isn't against paying taxes, he is against leech states that suck their citizens dry.

Usually rich people like Depardieu normally go to wherver they can pay no or very little tax, I guess not this time

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

timmah said:
Pure Gold

Yep, well done sir. 

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
the2real4mafol said:

It's even more hilarious that you find 75 % too much. Since Belgium had a general tax burden just a bit over 75%!! If Depardieu isn't doing this to get to Monaco, then he's a freaking idiot.

The middcle class here is being taxed to death, the higher classes probably pay a lot of taxes too. But not 75 %

Zuhyc said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
the2real4mafol said:

The middcle class here is being taxed to death, the higher classes probably pay a lot of taxes too. But not 75 %

If you add VAT, income taxes, special taxes (tobacco, alcohol, gasoline), property taxes, corporate taxes... I'm sure that the real tax level that some people pay is near that value. Depardieu said that 85 Euro of every 100 Euros he earned were destined to pay taxes, so it's not improbable that in Belgium some people pay 60-70% of their total income to the government.