By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is PlayStation Plus hurting Sony's retail sales?

BuckStud said:
Looking at VGChartz global software sales for last week shows that only 7 of the top 30 selling games were on Sony platforms (actually all 7 were on the PS3). For 2012 I've only purchased 1 retail PS3 game, and a few PSN games. Otherwise, I've been playing PS+ games. I checked with a few of my PS3 owning friends and the ones that have PS+ are in a similar position with few purchases this year. A couple of them that don't have PS+ have mainly used their PS3 for playing rented Blu-rays. So, from a software sales point, Sony has only received about $100 (with the cost of PS+ included) in sales from me for the year. That's the least I've spent in many years on a Sony platform. So, I'm wondering, any other PS+ members that have seen their spending habits for the PS3 drop this year?

Bulk of sales for titles that make the coin is front-loaded.  That means within the first month or so, you get the majority of sales.  I believe PS+ is for titles released awhile ago.  What PS+ does is hurt used game sales, but I don't think the videogame industry or Sony cares about that at all.

Around the Network

nah I keep them in my backlog for Summer or in between releases. My purchasing has not gone down except now its easier to wait till Christmas for PSAllstars and AC3.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

For me not at all. Maybe for others. I haven't seen a few people say they will wait for X game to come on plus in a few months and I think it's just wishful thinking. I bought a lot of games this year for every platform. Still updating my list of games to the website now.

I rather have a box collection then a digital one, but I have a terabyte HDD, for all the free games that end up on Plus for when the summer drought comes. As another member mention, this year was a pretty slow year for Sony and next year sales will pick up.

I am a plus member and will be one for the next 3 years, when my membership expires. While I haven't played many games from Plus (Vita games mostly), I use it for the benefits of cloud storage and automatic downloads and updates.

I keep buying games at the same rate as before, even with PS Plus offerings, although my backlog just keeps increasing.

I have been buying more digital games, though. Some PS Plus discounts are too good to pass up (such as Sega's classics for $1, among other PS Plus-only deals).

Note also that nearly every game given by PS Plus has some kind of DLC available. I bet Sony and other publishers are getting some good cash out of DLC sales on these free games.

First of all, we all know that PSN+ is great value to the gamers on a budget. But after reading some of these post here I don't understand how PSN+ makes more money for Sony then Retail games. I bought 14 Vita games and 4 PS3 games this year. Let's say I jump on PSN+ next year for $59.99 and cut my retail purchase in half. You can't tell me that Sony makes more from my $59.99 subscription then my $800 retail games spending a year.

Around the Network
bonkers555 said:

First of all, we all know that PSN+ is great value to the gamers on a budget. But after reading some of these post here I don't understand how PSN+ makes more money for Sony then Retail games. I bought 14 Vita games and 4 PS3 games this year. Let's say I jump on PSN+ next year for $59.99 and cut my retail purchase in half. You can't tell me that Sony makes more from my $59.99 subscription then my $800 retail games spending a year.

As others have said, I think its the sales of the DLC that is bought for some or all the games that are offered through Plus. I'm sure there are people that enjoyed the games that were/are offered and ends up buying the DLC to get further enjoyment. I bought all the DLC for Gravity Rush, but that was long before it reached plus. I bought the the Map DLC for Uncharted: Golden Abyss. I'm sure there were others that did the same post launch of the release of a game on plus. It's kind of like how free to play games work.

My decrease in buying games is not cause of PSN+ but rather my decreased in money paying for college blows.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

ok i got 2 questions i think

how many games for PS3 did you buy last yr.?
are you talking about exclusives?

hey see it was just 2 lol. what games were worth purchasing that came out for the PS3? ok i lied. it was 4.

Plus made me buy more retail games than I expected... Borderlands 2 is one example... I should never have bought it if I not received the first game in Plus.

bonkers555 said:

Most people aren't just going to wait around on the chance that a game that they really want is going to end up on PS+ anytime soon.  In most cases, if someone really wants to play game X, they will buy that game within the first few months.  Some will wait until it breaks $30 or $40.  With a game like BioShock 2, however, pretty much everyone who wanted that game a lot has already bought it; most of the people who play it for the first time on PS+ are those who were on the fence about wanting it or had been somewhat curious but not enough to buy it.

That is why it's great for publishers.  Almost certainly, there will be people who play a game on PS+ because it was free who then end up loving that game, thus becoming potential customers of future installments of that franchise.  My guess is that when a game tapers off past a certain point then it will actually be a better value for the publisher to put it on PS+ than to worry about whatever bargin bin sales they might be missing at retail.  Remember, at retail you have a lot more pieces of the pie going into different pockets.  In terms of digital, it's just Sony and the publisher.

Vita, right now, is a different story.  Sony is trying to leverage PS+ to sell more hardware, which in turn will sell more software.  Their main focus is increasing the installed base first.