By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My first impressions of Wii u.

So, the Wii u is finally out in Europe, 2 weeks after North America. Man, were those 2 weeks torture! Not sure if anyone has done a thread about this yet but apologies if they have. Just wanted to share my Wii u experience so far with you all...

I picked it up Friday night so have had a weekend to form an opinion.
First of all when i got it home i had to do a software update. Wasn't too bad, only took an hour or so. First game we played was Nintendoland and very quickly we were all addicted to mario chase. It's so simple but incredibly fun in multiplayer. Minus point for Nintendoland though, in that we can't play Metroid or Zelda in multiplayer as motion pluses don't seem to be recognised. Very disappointing. Just dance was next. Not my cup of tea at all but was fun in puppet master mode. Got a bit bored with it in the end though. Then i had a bit of an explore of the multimedia capabilities of the gamepad and you can colour me impressed. Small touch but using it as a tv remote is cool. Browser is really good too. Using it now and works really well.

Sega all stars was next but that is a bit... meh! Good because i like racing games but it just seems as if not much effort was put into the port, especially control options and the fact that in single player you need the tv screen instead of being able to use gamepad screen. Finally we played Zombiu and i am ashamed to say i lasted about 20 seconds before getting killed! After about 20 minutes exploring, i passed the pad to someone who knew what they were doing and i have to say it looks amazing! when watching someone else play. Am going to give it another go but i am really terrible at games like that. Brilliant use of gamepad tho and atmosphere really intense.

Anyway, i got all this for 400 quid, thought i got a really good deal at game. Had to trade in loadsa games tho! First impressions are good but have some apprehension though i think that was caused by overdoing just dance 4!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

Great review iam geting my wiiu after the hoildays.
Did you download the update the up date wireless or do u have a wii enthernet conceter.

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Oh and miiverse is amazing too. Also on further gameplay i discovered pikmin on Nintendoland is really good, metroid single player not bad but those reviews are pretty much spot on. It is a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the games are incredibly enjoyable, some are just ok. In fact a couple of them are broken!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

re. coolguy. I have wireless. Wii u much faster than my pc. I was worried that download would take hours after reading some of the stories about the NA launch but it was not much over an hour. A bit annoying as i had to wait until about 11.30pm for my first play of wii u. Ended up having a really late night!

Good OP but there is some factually incorrect stuff in it.

First of all, what do you mean, motion pluses were not recognised? Are you sure that you properly synchronized the Wiimotes with the console before you played Nintendo Land? I don't have the game myself but a) this is the first complain I heard about this and b) I played Trine 2 together with a friend with a Wiimote plus and it worked just fine.

I also don't understand the part about Sonic being a lazy port because of the control options? You can play the game with pretty much anything you can possibly hook up to a Wii U including Tablet Controller, Pro Controller, Classic Controller Pro, Wiimote (plus) + Wii Wheel, Wiimote (plus) + Nunchuk. That's pretty impressive imho.

The part about needing the TV Screen for singleplayer is also wrong. Swipe down on the touchscreen and you can play off TV.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network

I got mine on saturday, a premium one with a 3 game bundle. Nintendoland which is awesome, game party which is meh (but my daughter likes it) and epic mickey 2, which i havent got around to playing yet, but enjoyed the original. So far im very impressed with the kit, miiverse is addictive, and i shall be picking up zombiu and downloading nano assault.

Chandler said:

First of all, what do you mean, motion pluses were not recognised? Are you sure that you properly synchronized the Wiimotes with the console before you played Nintendo Land? I don't have the game myself but a) this is the first complain I heard about this and b) I played Trine 2 together with a friend with a Wiimote plus and it worked just fine.

I also don't understand the part about Sonic being a lazy port because of the control options? You can play the game with pretty much anything you can possibly hook up to a Wii U including Tablet Controller, Pro Controller, Classic Controller Pro, Wiimote (plus) + Wii Wheel, Wiimote (plus) + Nunchuk. That's pretty impressive imho.

The part about needing the TV Screen for singleplayer is also wrong. Swipe down on the touchscreen and you can play off TV.

Afaik you can't use the gamepad to steer in sonic all stars. As for playing the whole game using the gamepad, thanks for the heads-up. I will try that. My apologies for my the incorrect stuff. So much to explore with whole wii u setup! Still things i haven't discovered yet. Regarding motion plus problem, from what i can make out it is an extremely rare problem i hope to soon get rectified. Been asking around on miiverse about it and have only come across one person with same problem. They are synched properly but a few people have come up with solutions which might work. Am gonna try them soon.

peachbuggy said:

Chandler said:

Afaik you can't use the gamepad to steer in sonic all stars. As for playing the whole game using the gamepad, thanks for the heads-up. I will try that. My apologies for my the incorrect stuff. So much to explore with whole wii u setup! Still things i haven't discovered yet. Regarding motion plus problem, from what i can make out it is an extremely rare problem i hope to soon get rectified. Been asking around on miiverse about it and have only come across one person with same problem. They are synched properly but a few people have come up with solutions which might work. Am gonna try them soon.

No problem man, enjoy your console. I am just a little touchy about this stuff as of late since there is a lot of shit flying around about the Wii U. So sorry if I came across like an ass :P

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Thanks peachbuggy. Did u pickup batman.

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

coolguy said:
Thanks peachbuggy. Did u pickup batman.

No i didn't but it looks really good and GAME doing a good deal on it. May be one of my next purchases. Tbh i was spoilt for choice at launch. Lots of games and offers like one game for 25 pounds when buying the console.