By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 UP YOY in USA with NO big exclusives. What gives?

Why was the PS3 up YOY in USA during BF week?

Great bundle deals and discounts 198 45.41%

New exclusive games (All ... 21 4.82%

More PS3 advertising 15 3.44%

A combination of multiple factors 136 31.19%

Other 16 3.67%

See results 48 11.01%

Total:434

Better Black Friday deals?

Around the Network
007BondAgent said:
Does kowen ever say anything positive about the ps3?

Anyways great numbers, guess vgchartz is way off.

Don't mind him, though it is a bit annoying when he does that.

Anyways. I think it's because of multiple factors. The bundles, for sure, really gave the PS3 a nice boost. PSASBR might have given the PS3 a boost, as well. The 360 outselling the PS3 by a wide margin during Black Friday was expected, but seeing the 360 down YOY while the PS3 has gone up is quite surprising. I have to say, props to the PS3 actually going out of this Black Friday week stronger than last year (and this is without Uncharted 3 and so forth).

CGI-Quality said:
kowenicki said:
CGI-Quality said:

I'm actually interested all the time, I just don't always post. If you're implying what I think you are, PS3 has been ahead of the 360 all year, and I barely pointed it out. ;)

I'm not implying anything. I'm saying it. You are a fair weather poster. It's fine, I understand, but at least admit it. 

Again, PS3 has been beating the 360 all year, but I barely point it out. Doesn't matter either way, I own them both and enjoy them both. But, while it's evident that these numbers affect you more than me, I'd prefer not to take it somewhere where it didn't need to go in the first place.

Don't mind kowen. He's just mad since I showed him that for both 2009 and 2010, I had a better overall score for predicting sales over the last ten weeks, than he did predicting the last 5. He's just starting to realize he doesn't understand the numbers as much as he thinks he does.

winks at kowen

007BondAgent said:
Does kowen ever say anything positive about the ps3?

Anyways great numbers, guess vgchartz is way off.

Well, he does own a ps3, but I think he spent 400$ to make his negative ps3 posts seem less biased :D

I mean, anyone who really owns a ps3 gets it.

Just look at selnor. He bought a ps3 last year and is obsessed with it now.

Back to OP, like I said in another thread in so many words, I believe it's due to market saturation.
Look at how huge games barely evern budge 360 now. Everyone who wants a 360 already has one, same with the wii, and the wiiu is sold out. Consumers who have been putting off getting a ps3 are now getting one.

I bet PS+ has something to do with it too. I expect ps3 sales to decline at a very slow rate next year.

Around the Network

You know, there was some pretty impressive deals on HDTVs this Black Friday as well. I reckon some people who bought those cheap HDTVs were also fishing for a blu-ray player, and since the PS3 was also very cheap WHILE being bundled with a few games, I think those people preferred to purchase a PS3 over the other options. Just my guess for a factor that could play in its YOY increase.

Cirio said:
You know, there was some pretty impressive deals on HDTVs this Black Friday as well. I reckon some people who bought those cheap HDTVs were also fishing for a blu-ray player, and since the PS3 was also very cheap WHILE being bundled with a few games, I think those people preferred to purchase a PS3 over the other options. Just my guess for a factor that could play in its YOY increase.

Hey, nice theory man. That could be true. Perhaps the kids this year are savvier about convincing mom and dad to kill two birds with one stone.

How much is VGChartz off by and how so? I'm just curious. Is it because of overtracking of the 360 or is the PS3 still being undertracked?

Super Slim and the massive Forza style bundling of Uncharted

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

What about PSN Plus? Maybe this caused a big push.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey